PDA

View Full Version : What no flights?

GayFriendly
8th Jun 2008, 04:52
What with rising oil prices and an economy seemingly going into freefall, some would say that the days of cheap flights and Mr and Mrs Anybody jetting off to an unpronounceable city somewhere in Europe for a minibreak are well and truly over. Should this indeed be the case and airports that thrive on such business find their route networks shrink to nothing this tongue in cheek article points the way forward.

These ARE NOT my personal opinions and of course with the recent collapse of Silverjet amongst others, I am aware that there are many in the aviation industry who find themselves out of work or indeed are worried about their future if still in work, which is no laughing matter at all.

From The Guardian, 08/06/08, Author: Armando Iannucci

Following the collapse of the airline industry, it's about time someone came up with a handy guide to what to do with all the empty airports that are going to start cluttering up the world's outskirts. I've asked a few experts to come up with a 101 solutions and here is a selection of their best suggestions.
1. Just as farmers who faced economic collapse were told to diversify into other crafts and services, opening up dairy shops or bed and breakfasts, so too should airport authorities be encouraged to find alternative, more creative, uses of their land. Such as farming. Airports are mostly grass, suitable for sheep or wheat, while runways are a useful place to park tractors. The planes would make excellent stables. Some airlines such as easyJet already do this and larger operations such as British Airways could downsize effectively by operating each aircraft as a half-plane, half-cowshed service.
2. Venue for hen nights. Why go for a stretch-limo cruise through Leeds on a Saturday night when you and your girlfriends could club together to pay for a stretch-Boeing 747 to taxi up and down the M62 to and from Leeds Bradford airport for a couple of hours?
3. Use the revolving satellite dish at the top of the air traffic control tower as a tether for a giant game of swingball.
4. Use airports as venues for murder mystery weekends. Ten thousand of you and your friends gather on a Friday night and a senior airport official is murdered. You have 48 hours to solve the mystery. Clues are hidden in bags of luggage, which are then scattered randomly across 10 other airports.
5. Have airport announcers set up a new inquiry service like Ask Jeeves, in which they answer any query you like. They give the answer over the airport Tannoy system which means you have to turn up at the airport to hear it. It is recommended you turn up at least two hours before your answer is due.
6. Runways to be used as a venue for an exciting new twist to Formula One. Fifty cars have to hurtle at top speed all along the runway, then do a three-point turn at the end and come back again. A hundred times. Potentially fatal. Richard Hammond to stand in the middle of all this, for some reason.
7. Tall World. New adventure theme park for short people. They walk along the roads near airports that have specially shortened street lighting because of incoming planes and this way experience what the world would be like if they were a bit taller.
8. Retrain air traffic controllers to issue instructions to bees looking for pollen.
9. All the above ideas are rendered pointless by an economist who discovers that the prohibitive cost of airline fuel is more than outweighed by the enormous quantities of money airports make from the vast quantities of magazines, sweets, books and camera batteries we feel the need to buy 30 minutes before our flight. He concludes that if all airports simply replaced their planes and runways with more book, magazine, sweet and photo shops, they'll stay in business for the next 13 decades

Dash-7 lover
8th Jun 2008, 06:53
Everyone's profit margins are being wiped out. Watched the Money Programme the other night and O'Leary spouted out that he looks forward to recessions as it shakes up the industry and Mr and Mrs Bloggs that need to fly somewhere will look for the lowest ticket price. It's the Premium carriers that will get hit the most as the last few months have shown, ie Maxjet, Eos, Silverjet amongst others..... Difficult to say really. The general concensus amongst colleagues is that you may find one of the UK locos going bang at some point.. ie Easyjet as they're into losses already..... Not sure about Flybe's standing as they're in turmoil with crew shortages and not sure about their Q400 deliveries as some are off to Wideroe.... I think the smaller carriers with low overheads might be able to weather the fuel increases. It is worrying times but we'll have to wait and see.

JobsaGoodun
8th Jun 2008, 09:15
I would doubt that Flybe will be going anytime soon. They have the newest, most economical aircraft possible and can sustain lower prices for longer than their competitors because of this. I would probably say that smaller operators are more at risk like Air Southwest, Aer Arran, Aurigny and maybe Eastern although each of these has its stregths, AirSouthwest with the PLH-NQY-LGW, Aer Arran with its PSO's, Aurigny on the JER-GCI and GCI-LGW and Eastern with their strong business passenger base.

Don't get me wrong, I think all airlines will find things tough over the coming months and for me I think that BMIBaby and Jet2 are the main two along with the EU low costs of Vueling, SkyEurope, Wizz etc. Whilst FR will not go, they too are at risk of a hefty downturn as the bulk of their traffic is primarily leisure orientated

http:/www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/simon-calder-in-aviation-its-survival-of-the-richest-841826.html

In terms of Q400's, Jethro's indicates that 2 of the most recent Q400's are heading of to Wideroe with Flybe taking 4 of the ex SAS aircraft. This makes absolute sense. SAS said they would only fly NextGen Q400's and these are the latest deliveries to Flybe. Flybe get some older SAS units but you can bet that Bombardier were happy to offer these at a very attractive rate to whoever wanted them. It appears as if Flybe are kissing goodbye to 2 aircraft and getting 4 in return which should speed up the phasing out of the E145's.

FL370 Officeboy
8th Jun 2008, 14:09
Not sure about Flybe's standing as they're in turmoil with crew shortages

What a load of absolute rubbish. Where do people get off making such statements?!? If you don't know what you're talking about (which you clearly don't) then please just shut up. This site really does need renaming as it currently must break the trade descriptions act! It is just full of people who have an opinion on everything but actual knowledge of nothing. Please have some integrity and apologize for this complete b*llocks of a statement.

and not sure about their Q400 deliveries as some are off to Wideroe

JobsaGoodun has answered that perfectly well so I don't really need to add much other than believe me flybe come out of this very well indeed.

If an aircraft can cope with high oil prices it is the Q400. For those who whinge about it having propellers and not being a jet. Tough! Do you not read the newspapers?? The oil price will hit and turboprops will become more and more popular as airlines try to watch their costs. Would you buy a load of airbuses and 737s to serve short domestic/near Europe flights (BE's core business) at this moment in time? Maybe BE had some foresight after all :confused:

EGTE
9th Jun 2008, 06:21
Where do people get off making such statements?!?
Don't worry, it looks to me like the daft "Plymouth Vs Exeter" rivalry rearing it's ugly head. :ugh:

lexoncd
9th Jun 2008, 09:28
The era of low cost travel by any form of transport means is over. How this will affect other sectors is also overlooked. In the last fortnight two ferry routes have announced closure. Newcastle - Norway and Scotland - Zeebrugee. There will be rail fare rises and closure of some services. I'm sure those in trucking, sea and rail are alsl watching what's happening.

The challenges will be in filling off peak services as these discretionary trips will be the ones to be curtailed due to increased costs affecting the consumer.

On a positive note the likelyhood is that the duration of trips may be reduced somewhat however this still means that peole will require transporting to/from their destination.

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Jun 2008, 18:49
IMHO - things could go the other way, Just fueled up at Teesco's paid 10.00 and drew 8.70 litres.

Can't go far on that.:ugh:

We don't go far in the car, So an end to the British Seaside.

cheaper to Go to ALC, AGP.;)

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Jun 2008, 19:00
Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I think all airlines will find things tough over the coming months and for me I think that BMIBaby and Jet2 are the main two along with the EU low costs of Vueling, SkyEurope, Wizz etc. Whilst FR will not go, they too are at risk of a hefty downturn as the bulk of their traffic is primarily leisure orientated

Reply:

True, Jet 2 are at risk.:sad:

They are expanding fast, And at a cost.:hmm:

At the end of the day, There is only so much money in the 'pax's' pockets, And also in Jet2's pockets too.:ugh:

They might be too big for the loco flights.

I have noticed they have a very large fleet as opposed to other similar loco's. EZY are a big fleet, But EZY have 14 years behind them wheras Jet2 have 5.

So EZY must have some savings.:hmm:

I sincerely hope no - one goes under, But some loco's may only drive so far under the continous daily pressures.

I admire Philip Meeson for all the hard work he has done to LBIA, But He himself will only have an x amount of money to feed Jet2 on???

Unless Meeson is a multi multi millionaire'???

tonker
9th Jun 2008, 20:36
Meeson is a multi multi millionaire. 30 years of profitable operating does that. Jet2 own virually all their aircraft(no leasing costs when on the ground).Jet2 have hedged their fuel until winter 09, and have a very profitable Royal Mail contract until 2011. Jet2 holidays becoming established.

Profits down for sure, but not close to folding.

BYALPHAINDIA
10th Jun 2008, 00:00
True, We could do with 10 Philip Meeson's then:D

He has the right approach and exp for Jet2.

You would think other Airline Chiefo's would take a leaf out of his tree??:hmm::D