PDA

View Full Version : Aviance BHX to close??

legalize
7th Jun 2008, 21:22
I noticed that the big board room style meeting room on the 2nd floor was being used by Go-ahead group directors and Aviance big boys all day today. I popped in there at 4.30pm after they left (to try and skank some sandwiches) and noticed the go-ahead group literature lying round. Hopefully they were discussing the bright future of Aviance at BHX and not going down thE same route as LGW. Im sure we will finD out within the next few weeks.

RollNow!
8th Jun 2008, 08:07
What the hell!? :eek:

Lets hope your right about the big wigs "hopeful" discussion and not the other alternative. They have been recruiting again for the summer and i believe they have just taken on some more very recently as well. Several airlines have also signed new deals and to the best of my knowlege BHX is one the networks stations to make a profit. On both airline contracts and staffing levels.

Oh well can only hope. Were the sarnies nice ?? :} :ok:haha.

RN

Ground1
8th Jun 2008, 12:05
I dont think for a minute that Go- Ahead where there to discuss closing Aviance @ BHX, probably quite the opposite. They were probably there to see why BHX are performing so well compared to other stations. Im Aviance @ GLA and we are always being told how well BHX are doing.

bruppy
10th Jun 2008, 21:58
BHX has been the venue of many Aviance/go Ahead conferances over the past few mths as it is central within the Avi network and accessable by Air/Road easily from all stations rather than a trip around the M25 extended car park to First Point (No Point!!). The fact that the new MD & FD also live local and have made BHX thier base is also a factor.
BHX lives on, through prudent management we actually make a profit!!!

RollNow!
10th Jun 2008, 23:31
that explains that one then :)

I havent seen any of these big wigs or their meetings but i couldnt imagine BHX Aviance going anywhere. Its a station that works and does what a business is meant to do... make £££!

Management at BHX arent actually too bad although there is one who's name i of course will not mention that i wish would sod off and demoralize some staff that actually deserve it :ok:

Other than that Aviance BHX is top of the pile at the moment i think!

bruppy
11th Jun 2008, 18:02
"Management at BHX arent actually too bad although there is one who's name i of course will not mention that i wish would sod off and demoralize some staff that actually deserve it :ok:"

Go on RollNow! spill the beans or at least give us a clue???;)

RollNow!
11th Jun 2008, 21:20
i believe in the interests of rules and regulations and that of professionalism that would not be the best idea :}.

You can rest assured Bruppy that the individual concerned is a total tool !

groundhogbhx
11th Jun 2008, 23:04
Anything is possible at the moment. I know one long serving member of Aviance staff at BHX who is very concerned about what could happen, the only consolation being that the pay off should be pretty good for the number of years service. I think it was mentioned in the other Aviance thread that the company as a whole was losing money and may be sold or closed, if that is the case it doesn't matter how much profit BHX make they will be dragged down by the other stations.

It seems that the only consolation is that there is still plenty of work at BHX. With Swissport in apparent self destruct mode and the current uncertainties with Aviance there will be one or more companies looking to come in and pick up the pieces giving plenty of opportunities for those that want to stay (with probably worse t's & c's of course:sad:)

tristar500
12th Jun 2008, 19:42
Thats the question...

If one or two stations are making money, and the remaining are not, then can the GoAhead group justify the Aviation division in general?

Just because the BA contract was awarded to certain regional airports, doesnt mean to say the group will continue to suffer poor performance as a whole...

Time will tell

RollNow!
12th Jun 2008, 21:02
if staff are not performing and management likewise at whatever station then they they shouldnt query possible closure. No self respecting business minded person will keep a business running at a loss we see cut backs in the news everyday in many industries.

Sounds cold and harsh but if its not performing then it doesnt last :( bit of a cow when it grinds the rest of the network down. :ugh:

Out Of Trim
16th Jun 2008, 11:13
RollNow!

The lost contracts you allude to; I believe, are not a performance issue, but a costs issue.

If Airlines are continuing to look for a lower priced bottom line and can obtain that with other Ground Handling Companies undercutting more established companies through having a lower cost base.

IE. Less experienced staff, on lower wages with no pension or sick pay etc etc. leading to, sadly a downward spiral in terms and conditions of the workers and I expect a commensurate lowering of standards and indeed safety in the industry.

Combined with the Open Skies Competition policies; that allow any company to start-up a ground handling company at any airport with Minimum wage workers if they so wish. Therefore, able to undercut the competition and gain their contracts.

RollNow!
16th Jun 2008, 13:00
Well i see it as a bit of both.

Cost is obviously the first thing on an airlines mind when they think of a handling agent they want to see what it will cost to do a basic turn around and check-in etc etc.

However if they know their customers are going to get miffed with delays and rubbish service from other newer cheaper agents, they will pay for it.... you would hope at least.

Its a shame that its so ruthless, im all up for competition in the market place. Lets face it ground handling isnt microsoft and there isnt a monster monopoly. SOME stability would be nice for all involved though, especially when the station and its staff actually does what its paid to do. :ok:

Mr_D
21st Jun 2008, 12:53
Is this persons initials R.K and male (well, thats debatable!!) :ok: