PDA

View Full Version : Need advice! Should I go to another flight school?

Jumbo744
7th Jun 2008, 20:30
Hello there,

I have started my training at Moncton Flight College, exactly a month ago. I am wondering if I should quit and need advice from more experienced people.

MFC is absolutely great, the staff, the instructors, the facility, the fleet, it is a really impressive school. The ground school is intensive and of high quality. I absolutely love that school and Moncton.

My only problem is that I have flown only 5 times since I started! The reasons are bad weather but also my instructor's availability. For the last 3 days the weather been great and I haven't flown! I talked to the program manager but he told me not to worry, that I will catch up later.

I have been doing exellent in the plane, nice takeoffs, landings, overall flying is good, i have exellent appreciations from my instructor. But I feel like learning to fly is a little bit like learning to ride a bike. You have to spend time practicing to feel comfortable and confident.

I am mixed because as I said, I find the school exellent, my only problem is that I don't fly much.
I found 2 other flight schools, not of MFC quality, but where i would be able to fly everyday twice a day.

What should I do?

P.S: By no means this thread is made to do bad publicity to MFC, as I said, MFC is great, it is just a personnal situation.

Whirlygig
7th Jun 2008, 20:38
Go and have a chat with the Head of Training or Chief Instructor and express yuor concerns. Weather and aircraft serviceability can't be helped but instructor availability can. There needs to be a fixed timetable when your instructor is available to teach you' if that coincides with bad weather, then I'm afraid that's unfortunate but if other students are getting priority or he can't stick to the timestable, then there's an issue which needs to be addressed by someone more senior.

After that, if things don't improve, then yes, move on. Having large gaps (i.e. you're only flying once a month on avergae!!) will hinder your progress and it would possibly take you more hours learning that way.

Cheers

Whirls

Jumbo744
7th Jun 2008, 22:55
hello,

thanks a lot for your post :ok:
I'm going to talk tomorrow with my instructor and Program Manager but if I don't see any improvements this week, I will leave.

Thanks again.

BigGrecian
8th Jun 2008, 13:53
To be honest nearly every flight school is over subscribed and instructor availability is stretched everywhere.

At two schools I know of they actually recommend students who call with the same story as yours to just stay where they are!

zapoi67
9th Jun 2008, 02:00
Are you on the "Canadian" or on the JAA programme ? I heard that delays are unfortunately usual on the JAA training...:{

Jumbo744
10th Jun 2008, 01:51
I'm on the canadian program.

I had a talk with my instructor and program manager and they told me it might be slow in the beginning but then I will catch up.

Actually I'm very happy now, I flew today and I have 5 others this week, so it is a BIG improvement. I'm happy because I didn't want to leave the school as I find it exellent, I was worried about the take it would take me to complete but now i'm very confident.

Today the school received a brand new Super Decathlon, looks very nice :ok:

zapoi67
10th Jun 2008, 20:34
IATP course ???

Jumbo744
10th Jun 2008, 20:51
hello,

yes IATP.

zapoi67
11th Jun 2008, 23:58
I was interested in it... but now I'm looking towards South Africa.

Julian
12th Jun 2008, 09:48
I would echo Whilrygigs advice, go have a word and express your concerns over Instructor avaliability - ask them why you keep getting dumped by them? Is there a legit reason or have they just not turned in or moved you round?

Unless you are really really not happy I wouldnt leave the school just yet, if you are happy with them apart from what you have stated then I would give them a chance to rectify things. As someone else there are a lot of over subscribe schools and you may find that by moving you end up in an even worse position! You have only to read some of the threads on here about whats going on at various schools to see that if you find a good Flight School (just like a good builder/plumber/leccy), hang onto them!!!!!!

J.

XL319
12th Jun 2008, 11:16
They didn't have the decency to ring me back when I was looking at IR places. So i've scrubbed them off my list already :}

Jumbo744
12th Jun 2008, 16:31
thanks for the replies.

I really want to Insist:

Everything is fine now, i am extremely happy. It was just a personnal situation, as I said, MFC is a excellent school.

XL319, you should send a email to Lori Young, she is very nice and helpful.
ZAPOI67, I hope it is not my post that discouraged you, I highly recommend you MFC, I was stressed that I wasn't flying enough but now i have a flight everyday and sometimes twice a day.

Thanks