PDA

View Full Version : NHS 8% pay deal

minigundiplomat
6th Jun 2008, 12:25
I knew inflation was on the rise, but had no idea it had reached 8%. That is the pay deal offered to NHS workers, well above the 2-3 % offered to all other public sector workers following the PM's call for below inflation rises.

I can only assume that this is a landmark admission of the spiralling rate of inflation from Gordo, or a demonstration of the fact that the military were screwed over yet again by a lack of (very large) union like the NHS.

All this coming on a week when the CDS illustrated the poor pay deal offered to our JR in comparison with a traffic warden. Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights!

chris_tivver
6th Jun 2008, 12:33
Its 8% over 3 years. 2.5% this year IIRC

Winch-control
6th Jun 2008, 13:13
Yep. Its going to be a struggle for those employed by the NHS and will no doubt see the NHS sink further due to the labour government that places no importance on a sector so important , but votes in huge pay rises for themselves!!!!

dessert_flyer
6th Jun 2008, 15:45
As chris has said it is over 3 years, and is based on the Consumer Price Index and not the Retail Price index, so like the rest of the country its nowhere near the real rise in the cost of living. So they aint getting that good a deal, and remember these rises dont include the doctors, they manage to negotiate there own nice pay deal.

gingernut
6th Jun 2008, 15:53
How much would you give me?

High_Expect
6th Jun 2008, 17:46
Well said TOFO. I’m married to an NHS employee and seriously they get a much worse deal than us v's pay!

I know picking fights/arguments is fun, especially on here but I feel this argument will fall on deaf ears.

gingernut
6th Jun 2008, 22:15
I've been a nurse for about 25 years now.

I've loved every minute of it, like you service guy's, I didn't go into it for the money.

I'm not poor, but I'm not rich. I'm comfortable. The best things in life include getting to the top of a mountain, or surfing a wall of a wave.

Who wants to have the life of Alan Sugar, when there is so much more to life.

Despite the news reports, the money and job is steady, and not too bad.

Now I'm older I can see through the boll*cks, all I wanna do is to make a difference.

If some smart rse politician wants to get a vote, they pick on me 'cos the public feel sorry for us,

wayne kerrs:)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
7th Jun 2008, 00:53
All this coming on a week when the CDS illustrated the poor pay deal offered to our JR in comparison with a traffic warden. Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights!

Please do not promote CGS above his station. The Brown jobs (not the PM) already think they run the show!

The NHS will always get public sympathy because we all dread bacoming ill. It will also drain the Defence Budget for the same reason. If a proven cure for cancer costs £1K a day per person, what would you do?

Civilisation is a wonderful thing; for those that can afford it.

minigundiplomat
7th Jun 2008, 09:50
Please do not promote CGS above his station

He seems far more vocal and articulate than either CDS or CAS, in fact, especially CAS.

anotherthing
7th Jun 2008, 12:15
Minigundiplomat,

Conversely would you be happy to be tied to a 2.6% pay rise for the next three years?

Who knows how the economy is going to go, but this deal is done and dusted... they are tied to this rise regardless... it's not as if its as flexible a deal as say getting RPI+0.25% for each year (which the way the economy is going could be an OK deal).

Gingernut has summed it up rather well. The fact of the matter is that both sets of workers are not particularly well paid, particularly in the lower ranks/grades of Armed Forces/nursing.

However, where do comparisons end? There are people who get paid ridiculous amounts of money for the jobs they do - especiall compared to what nurses or Armed Forces have to do, but also in comparison to people who have responsible, stressful jobs and receive a decent wage.

Comparing job for job is not a good way of doing things - unfortunately unless it becomes impossible to recruit at current wage levels (and that includes attracting poorer overseas applicants), the employers will pay as little as they can get away with.

FJJP
7th Jun 2008, 13:34
and remember these rises dont include the doctors, they manage to negotiate there own nice pay deal

Yet another sideswipe at doctors. I'm not a doctor, but I'm heartily sick of people who don't know the system kicking doctors, especially GPs. I'd just love to meet the GP who earns £250,000 pa. The hard working doctors at the surgery where I work haven't had a payrise in 3 years, and this year took a pay DROP. People don't realise that GPs are not employed by the NHS - they own their own practice and out of the fees paid to them by the NHS for them to supply medical services to the community, they have to pay staff wages and maintain the building and take all the expenses of running a company.

This govt has conducted a shameful campaign of running down our excellent GPs - I believe their hidden agenda is to force GPs to work for the NHS directly as salaried staff and to get rid of the present system of GPs owning their own business. That way the govt can have full control over all doctors - more of the intent of micromanaging every aspect of our lives.

I would say the average senior GP is earning no more that around £70K.

pjhz50
7th Jun 2008, 14:05
Quote: I would say the average senior GP is earning no more that around £70K

One of my closest friends is a GP. Average partner in a practice earns approx £100,000 a year. No out of hours or weekends anymore unless you wish to and join an out of hours co-operative and get paid more (!)
Yes they run their own business but the salary paid is after you have covered overheads. Part time work can be £30k. How awful.
Junior hospital doctors on the other hand are treated like slaves and paid shabby money. And don't forget there are more staff in the NHS than docs and nurses - you just don't see them, but they work just as hard and put up with the same poor deals (I used to be one of thos 'unseen' proffesionals). All public sector workers get a raw deal. The government trades on the fact that the vast majority aren't doing these jobs for the money but to make a difference to peoples lives, and will therfore keep paying them less than they would get in the private sector :*

Tim McLelland
7th Jun 2008, 14:15
My partner's been a nurse for many years and he's as unimpressed with the new pay deal as I am, but it was only what everyone expected.

Nurses (especially experienced ones) do huge amounts of work that doctors used to do, but inexplicably they don't get their rates of pay. The government and media like to suggest that nurses are still like the comedy figures seen in Carry On movies, emptying bed pans, but of course they're more like pseudo-doctors now. They do a very responsible job and work long hours for rubbish pay (where have you heard that before?!).

It would be wrong to suggest that the unions have won some great deal. In actual fact the main unions are hopeless and spend most of their time kissing-up to the government, rather than fighting for a decent deal for nurses. The poor ol' NHS is in just as bad a state as the armed forces - we've recruited heaven-knows how many foreign nurses and now newly-qualified British nurses can't get jobs.

Same old story - government that can't govern I'm afraid.

minigundiplomat
7th Jun 2008, 15:42
The poor ol' NHS is in just as bad a state as the armed forces

Would not begrudge the NHS a single penny, but it has had vast sums of taxpayers money hosed at it for several years now. Why is it getting worse?

That seems a fair enough question?

niknak
8th Jun 2008, 23:08
Think yourself lucky.

This year I got no pay rise and it doesn't look like I will next year either..

The reason?

Millions of £ was spent on equipment we didn't need and couldn't afford to pay for.
The Board over estimated the amount of revenue we would get from trade we didn't have, had no guarantee of getting and, as it was, didn't get.
The Company fell out big time with it's biggest customer and had a major and very humiliating public slanging match with them, the Board lost.
The **** is flying, but there are many teflon coated managers around and blame seems to last for a nanosecond before it's passed on.
The Company is now relying on it's major investor to bail it out, but they've already put in many £millions of their own wonga and want to know what's going on.

Blimey!
Anyone would think I worked for Gordon Brown! if only......:ugh::cool:

Doctor Cruces
9th Jun 2008, 11:50
For my sins, I work in local government now and got 2.45% last year. We were offered two percent but thanks to some nifty strike action, we got it upped in view of "our sterling work". That .45 % made it all worthwhile. We got it in Decembers pay, of course, not April when it was due although it was backdated. By the way, that 0.45 % didn't make up for the money I lost being on strike for something I believed in. Needless to say I am still paid consierably less than when i was in the RAF.

Now Gordon the Gopher is imposing a 2% per annum for the next three years pay rise on us, similar to the HHS, which they have again raised to 2.45 % following threats of more disruption. The union has organised a strike ballot and says we will be going on strike for initially two consecutive days followed by an escalating frequency and length of strike campaign. So I guess a strike of two or three weeks at a time is envisaged.

As I can't afford another rise like last year, needless to say where my vote will be.

The government of this country is bankrupt (both morally and literally.) No more money will be forthcoming for either the services pay, the NHS pay or the Local Government pay so there is no point in asking for more even with threats (I suppose a coup by the Armed Services might help, though!).

So, with Idiot Brown and his followers all telling me we are broke, how come we get free swimming lessons for the over sixties announced last week costing well over a hundred million quid.

The lunatics have definately taken over the assylum.

:mad::mad:

DOc C