PDA

View Full Version : Situation in Lybia?

Tech-B
6th Jun 2008, 10:15
Hi all,

I have to go to Lybia in a few weeks for a contract. As it is the first time, I was wondering if any one of you guys has an idea of the situation there. Is it like Nigeria, or more at ease.

Greetz

petesevenseven
6th Jun 2008, 14:33
Hi There,

I've not been there myself but my old man works there. You won't find any alcohol and its very safe, Gadafi has the country very very undercontrol.

Hope that helps,

Happy Landings!!!

Pete

V1... Ooops
6th Jun 2008, 23:39
I have visited Libya several times and have always found that it is a very pleasant country so far as personal safety, courtesy of the residents, etc. is concerned. Concerning security for travelers, expats, or visitors, I'd put it on par with Switzerland. Obviously, though, it does not have the same level of services.

Libya is first and formost a sparsely populated agricultural country. I have always told fellow Canadians that it is a lot like visiting Saskatchewan - people are inherently friendly because they are not all crowded together. You can go out for a walk in Tripoli any time of the day or night without concerns. If you are going there to support oil exploration, well, an oil camp is an oil camp, it doesn't matter where in the world it is.

The biggest risk is traffic, which is a bit unregulated.

ChallengerDan
7th Jun 2008, 07:22
I am currently in Libya and as other have said, the place is very safe. I walked across Tripoli at every possible hour and the only thing you need to worry about is that driving a car here is really different from anywhere else I have seen, and you might get nervous with cars passing only inches from you. They have a strange concept of the "right of way" and "queus".
For anything official, you want to have a contact (visa, airport pass, etc).
Entertainment here has a different definition that what most westerners are used to. Good place to make money if you ask me, as it is safe, not too many occasion to spend, and the weather is nice. It is recommend not to venture close to the southern borders though. I am in Tripoli, so obviously not an issue for me.

Springbok614
7th Jun 2008, 13:07
out of interest... anyone got any idea of which flying contracts are available in Lybia in terms of types flown and type of operation ie. airline, charter, survey etc etc. i would presume that the goverment controls all these contracts?

Springbok747
8th Jun 2008, 18:02
Saw some heavy metal fighters at the military air base. Old Mig 25, 23, and 27’s Some Mirage F1’s as well. Libya (Tripoli) not bad for contract flying.
Send my regards to "Brother Leader" :ok:

zalt
8th Jun 2008, 18:19
Never had a problem and always felt at ease.

onehotflyer
9th Jun 2008, 10:07
Tripoli is a great place. Go see Leptus Magna whilst you there.

Tech-B
22nd Jun 2008, 20:24
Thanks for the info guys. Leaving next week, and who knows, see you there.
http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/infopop/icons/icon6.gif

DC3Mishkey
23rd Jun 2008, 18:26
its disgustingly filthy, take lots of disinfectant gel with you. No comforts of home thats for sure.

Captain_djaffar
23rd Jun 2008, 18:31
and a bullet proof vest

climbpower
24th Jun 2008, 01:53
Hi Guy any contact info for contracts in Libya

Climbpower

Gunship
24th Jun 2008, 18:24
and a bullet proof vest

It is very obvious you do not have the foggiest clue what you are talking about Sir. :oh:

I am unpacking - just arrived back in Tripoli and will answer you soonest with correct info.

In the mean time please forget about bullet proof vests. :=

V1... Ooops
24th Jun 2008, 20:20
I agree with Gunship, that comment about the bullet proof vest is totally uncalled for. There is no reason whatsoever to be concerned about personal safety in Libya. It's actually one of the safest places to be in the world. It may not have all the comforts of home, but it is certainly in the top quartile so far as places to do expatriate work are concerned. The local people are genuinely friendly and pretty easy to get along with.

Toppled AH
10th Jul 2008, 17:09
Yip not a bad place at all just hope you not going there to work for GAL.....if you do PLEASE make sure you don't hand your passport to anyone ...its ILLEGAL and under no curcumstances must you do this as you might get residency sooner than you would like to.....

skyshark
10th Jul 2008, 20:15
when you arrive dont expect to see your passport again untill you leave. If you have two keep the other one in your undies it might come in handy. If you think you can object then you will find yourself on the next available flight. Dont expect to leave on the day you are supposed to either especially if you are with a gov affiliation. No passport what you going to do about it anyway. Tow the line or risk jail is the sentiment