PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime ambition to be a Pilot but not a good time to train ?

Shamrock 75
5th Jun 2008, 18:42
Hi Folks,

Just looking for some advice. Myself and a friend have recently signed up to start a ATPL course in Sept. Given that aviation industry is truly now in a downturn and with many airlines going under or reducing their fleets.
Im having second thoughts about resigning from my job ( i cant get unpaid leave !) and taking on a large loan to finance my training. Im 33 yrs old and this is probably my last realistic chance to start flight training. Any words of wisdom out there ?

Shamrock 75

BerksFlyer
5th Jun 2008, 18:59
It's fine to start now, it's just that it isn't recommendable to go all guns blazing just now. Take your time with it and keep financial risk to a minimum. Timing is the key :ok:

AvEnthusiast
6th Jun 2008, 06:20
I was just about to start such a thread, but after having this it's unfair to start another. But I hope we get responses for all, not only the original poster of the thread as most of the time it happens.

As mentioned it's quite a tough time for airlines due to fuel prices, and many airlines about to ground their fleet and expectation of liquidation of some airlines and other odds and ends.

Is it wise to spend a huge amount of money on training now? and as we all know it's quite difficult for low hours fresh CPL/IR&ME holders to find a job after graduations.

Despite all this I'm still going to go for it, as it is my life time inspiration and my passion to be pilot. And I don't need to get loan as I have saved for my flight training. So do you think I should go for it? even in these situations? your comments can encourage us.

corsair
6th Jun 2008, 16:27
To be honest I don't think there was ever a good time to start flying. When I started flying it was a bad time to start flying. But most of my contemporaries are now long time Captains in various airlines. Berksflyer is right. Take your time.

The problem with delaying the start is that when the jobs comes up you might find yourself not quite ready to get one.

No matter how bad the job situation is there are always jobs to be had. Sometimes though you spend a lot of time stuck further down the ladder. But if you really want to fly you will find a way.