PDA

View Full Version : BAE 146 landing in ABZ yesterday

batboy1970
4th Jun 2008, 14:07
I flew in on a BAE 146 from Scatsta yesterday to Aberdeen after being unable to land in the Shetlands (Scatsta), i might be wrong but there was a huge presence of emergency services vehicles standing by with lights etc on. Dont know if it was for us because there was no announcement from the pilot... anybody shine some light

RAMPKING
4th Jun 2008, 20:31
work at abz and didn't hear anything today although i may be wrong..., the fire boys are based on one side of the field and their training area is on the other so they could have been waiting for the runway to be clear to cross over.:}

batboy1970
4th Jun 2008, 20:57
im informed now when i arrived on the rig that it was apparently the 146 declared a shortage of fuel ???????????? this definately wasnt a training exercise, Airport fire guys, 3 tenders from Grampian and and ambulances with blue lights on. It would have been nice to have been told that we had a wee reception party waiting (if it was us of course) its good to talk

Doobs
7th Jun 2008, 12:24
Wouldn't announcing that the ac you were on had a problem and that the emergency services were waiting for you to land just put fear and panic into all on board? I don't think any ac captain would announce something like that.
I maybe wrong !

Doobs

Notso Fantastic
7th Jun 2008, 13:27
You are right. These days, the slightest problem seems to be an excuse to get everything out with blue lights flashing. Sometimes you just want to tell them to go away- they can be seen from the cabin and it is very unsettling. Then they follow you. Thank you very much, but overkill. Nobody seems to have heard of discretion anymore.

There was a 146 that made a Mayday call as it would be landing with below Reserve fuel. Not a rare occurence, and even though an emergency call, not an emergency. It is something we will have to get used to more with fuel so expensive- carrying usual reserves is just not justifiable at that price. It is a requirement the pilot makes that call, the emergency service will use that as a reason to go full emergency mode. It needs re-examining.