PDA

View Full Version : Where can one buy a C152 share to build time?

Toujours
4th Jun 2008, 11:44
Just curious.

Is it possible to buy a share with 4 others at £4000 a piece for a C152 or C172? Do you think this is a better way to build time and then sell your share afterwards?

Where can one get more information on this?

Cheers.

geordiejet
4th Jun 2008, 11:56
If you are just building time, then buying a plane is not the way to do it. It is way too much hassle - as you need to register it, maintain it etc etc.

Personally I would consider joining a syndicate that is already in existance. So you get the benefit of lower cost flying, without the hassle.

You may hit lucky and get a no capital group - where you only have to pay a small joining fee and a low monthly cost.

Unless you are planning on stringing your hour building over a few years, then I don't think setting up a group is going to be worth it. A friend of mine is a founding member of a group - and there is an awful lot of paperwork from what I have seen!

There is also the issue of selling your share - there may not be a willing buyer, and your money may still be tied up in the plane waiting for a buyer.

MIKECR
4th Jun 2008, 12:17
geordiejet,

your last point is very true. I bought into a 172 syndicate a few years ago for some cheap flying. It cost me an arm and a leg for the equity share and when i came to sell it, I couldnt get anyone interested. It took a long time to eventually shift it but i got it sold in the end.

potkettleblack
4th Jun 2008, 12:30
Check out the noticeboard at your local flying club and start asking around in the bar. Usually the best source of information for either shares or whole aircraft. Also search on the private flying forum as there is usually a couple of threads a week at least on this topic. Lots of cans of worms involved so make sure you do your research. Personally I would go for a no capital group. We are about to enter a recession and selling your share later on could end up being a nightmare, or nigh on impossible whilst the ongoing monthly overheads will still need meeting.

Toujours
4th Jun 2008, 13:12
Good points lads. Thanks for posting.

sparks-flying
4th Jun 2008, 16:57
Hi Toujours

If you are in the Northwest I may be able to help!!

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=610659#610659

SF:ok:

XL319
4th Jun 2008, 23:27
I am part of a no equity group...ideal for hour builders(although I have my hours, its good to keep current). They have aircraft in both the NW and NE with good equipped aircraft. Cheapest way in the UK to hour build

Rugbyears
5th Jun 2008, 00:30
xl319 - how does that work [costs]..?:confused: Would you kindly note A/C type as well as monthly rate. Do you pay a 'WET' hire rate, furthermore, who's responsible for the insurance..? :ok:

XL319
5th Jun 2008, 08:42
Various A/C 152 or 172 or PA28. 172 is £110 per month and 65 ph Wet. 152 £70 per month and 55ph wet. Thats the only payments other than a deposit. Insurance is already sorted

Kerosine
5th Jun 2008, 08:50
Depending on your location, this may be of interest:

http://aircraftgrouping.com/

Toujours
6th Jun 2008, 08:18
xl 319.....et al...thanks for posting guys.

Do you reckon it's economical commuting from London? What's the availability like on weekends, for example if a person wants to fly Sat and Sun at 8 hrs per day.???

Rugbyears
9th Jun 2008, 02:18
Wow - 8 hours a day, doable I suppose, hmm, only just. Not too sure if I would enjoy flying as much if I was flying 8 hours at a time, too much concentration would be required... I fly 5 hours at a time max...!

Any clubs local to North East England - idealy a PA28..?

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Jun 2008, 04:40
Why don't you buy a load of hours abroad?

Brian304
9th Jun 2008, 15:31
Well there is a TB10 in the north west. Variable pitch propeller, can sit 5 people. £70 an hour.

PM me for more details.

Brian304:)

A and C
9th Jun 2008, 20:19

Coz it's no cheaper abroad! the flying might be cheaper but by the time you add up all the other costs the price is about the same (as one who has so much to say on "high finance" you are not on the ball in your own back yard!)

Brian304

AT £70 for that aircraft you are paying some other fees or some one is in for a nasty shock when the engine comes up for overhaul or another big bill shows up!

Brian304
9th Jun 2008, 20:21
Well I have a share inside that group, been in there for about 1.5 years, nothing major so far. Apart from the £120 a month, there arn't any other fee's.
So I really don't know what your talking about.

Brian304:}

A and C
11th Jun 2008, 16:34
The first hour each month costs £190!, if you do two hours it costs £ 130 per hour and if you do three hours a month it £ 110 per hour.

Hardly the £70 per hour that your first post stated however the real numbers stack up and you should have no nasty charges in the future.

Brian304
11th Jun 2008, 17:16
Yep but if your hour building, you can have it 24 hours a day, Then the savings do really start to build up. It fully depends on what your using it for, if theres no monthly payments, then somthing dodgy must really be going on.

Brian304:8

Shunter
11th Jun 2008, 18:14
If you're paying £120/month fixed (to cover hangarage, insurance, non hours-related maintenance etc..), and £70/hr wet, there's something not adding up there. The O-360 in a TB10 is going to burn between 35 and 40 litres per hour during standard low altitude bimbling, which at today's prices puts almost nothing aside for hours-related maintenance (50hr checks, oil, prop, engine etc..).

If you have a group whose policy is to split expenses as/when the arise, then fine. If not I'd be asking some questions. My plane has the same engine, and we charge £30/hr DRY. Pay for the fuel you use (courtesy of fuel-flow meter), at the current rate, and have the security of knowing that if anything blows up, there's money in the bank to pay for it.

There are good groups and bad groups, and grouping isn't always the best way to hour build. If you can find a good 'un, grab it with both hands, especially if it's non-equity and you're not contracted in for longer than you want. Just make sure you do your homework and run the numbers before you get involved in a group - if they're not run right they can leave you seriously out of pocket. Standard rule: if it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Mikehotel152
11th Jun 2008, 19:02
In my experience of hour-building there's no cheap way of doing it. I've tried hiring from mates, hour-building abroad, joining a non-equity group and hiring from a Flying Club. The difference in amounts paid per hour in the logbook are pretty similar once you've factored in the ancillary costs.

Paying £100 per hour, including landing fees, for a C152 at an FTO is not really as financially uncompetitive as you might think, unless you want to fly micro-lights on MOGAS from a mate's grass strip, which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Just my experience maybe...[ducks flak] :E

A and C
11th Jun 2008, 21:39
In theory you might be able to have the aircraft 24 hours a day but if another group member tried this just think how pi$$ed off you would be?

The fact is that the 24 hour thing won't wash, if you can use the aircraft weekdays then you will get a better than even deal but when people start hogging group aircraft over a few weekends the result usualy looks like a knife fight in a telephone box!

Most groups steer well clear of hours builders for this very reason.