PDA

View Full Version : ID Cards

radar707
3rd Jun 2008, 21:33
ID Cards
Airside workers at UK airports are already subject to stringent security checks in order to obtain identity passes to gain airside access at UK Airports. Air Traffic Controllers, Pilots, Cabin Crew, Engineers, Flight Dispatchers etc are to be forced to carry the proposed new voluntary National ID Card, on pain of losing their jobs. The National ID Card will not be compatible with existing Airport Security systems (which vary from Airport to Airport) and will not replace the existing ID passes carried by airside workers at UK Airports. The forced introduction of what is allegedly a voluntary scheme will do nothing to prevent terrorist attacks or reduce illegal immigration.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/airsideid/

I was hoping to do this as a poll but for whatever reason I can't.

Mods if you can help me out and keep this as a sticky I'd be grateful

1. I'm completely in favour of the introduction of the ID Cards for Airside staff

2. I object to the introduction of the ID Card for Airside workers and will sign the petition

3. I'm undecided

call100
6th Jun 2008, 08:22
Aiport workers are being very slow at realising the implications of this and also the implications and intentions of the National ID card system in general....
Check out this Forum for information (http://forum.no2id.net/)

Wise up before it's too late...We need to make a stand here.

grison
18th Jun 2008, 08:24
here's what the home office says:

On cost, it is intended that the cost of the National Identity Scheme will be primarily funded by fees charged for the products it provides – passports, identity cards, immigration documents and visas. The Government believes that everyone should pay something towards the scheme to reflect both the benefits of the scheme to individuals as well as to society. However, fees can only be charged to cover expenses of the scheme. They cannot be used to make a profit. This also means that there is no significant pool of money being used to fund the Scheme that could be available to fund other activities instead.

We intend that the fee for an identity card in 2009 & 2010 will be £30 or less.

Further legislation will be needed before it can be compulsory to have an identity card. Then there will be civil financial penalties which could be applied for failure to notify changes of name or address or failure to notify a lost or damaged ID card. However, these are civil penalties that will be enforced in the civil courts in the same way as debts and so there is no possibility of being imprisoned, for example.

We will offer a new service for employers and employees, bringing the existing pre-employment checks under a single service underpinned by an enhanced identity check provided by the Identity and Passport Service and UK Border Agency.

The new identity checking process will be more efficient than those which are currently offered by employers. As an employee you will therefore be able to start your new job faster than is possible under the current and any subsequent job changes within or to a different airport will be easier as your identity will already have been established.

In addition you will have a document that is valid for travel within the EU.

Lastly, in response to your concerns we re-iterate that the aviation industry is already taking impressive action to ensure the integrity of the checks and systems that it has in place, in order to ensure the highest levels of security for airside personnel, as well as for the travelling public. These steps will enhance those efforts greatly. By recording fingerprints as part of the enrolment process for an identity card, we can provide a far greater assurance of an individual’s identity than can be done today with existing checks. The robustness of this process will in turn make it easier, cheaper and quicker to conduct other pre-employment and security checks.

Yours faithfully,

On behalf of the Identity and Passport Service

call100
18th Jun 2008, 11:50
That is the rubbish they have been spouting for a while now. It covers the actual fact that they are forcing this on aviation workers as a Trojan horse for the rest of the country.
Before anyone defends the National ID system actually look at the proposed Data base that will be put together to track you from cradle to grave.
It has already been proven that they will not combat terrorism and would not have prevented the London bombings.
It is a system being put in place to enable the Government and anyone else with access to spy all aspects of our lives. The old East Germans would have been proud of it.
If you don't think it's a bad thing...RIPA was brought in to enable the security services access to records and enable surveillance of Terror suspects. The law was later changed quietly and now Local Councils are using that same law to spy on people who apply for schools or fill their bins incorrectly.
Please don't keep sleepwalking into this.....This ID will not replace your existing airport ID....

Rant over..:O

DeltaIndiaSierraPapa
18th Jun 2008, 12:53
Being an American, I am already used to carrying an ID card (in The States it is cumpulsory). That said, this government has proven itself to be totally and completely inept in protecting peoples private details and at not losing or misplacing sensitive information (laptops left on trains, disks lost in the post etc etc...). So, until Gordie and his cronies can get their own house in order, I would prefer they stay the hell out of mine!

grison
18th Jun 2008, 17:09
i agree with call100, but what can we do about it? i would guess that the airport would renove an airside pass from anyone who didn't accept a national ID card, so he would be left jobless, and it's only a matter of time before we all have to have one. it's a police-state load of rubbish.
the logical failing is, if a passport suddenly isn't good enough, how do we prove who we are in order to get the national ID??

RollNow!
18th Jun 2008, 17:24
police-state load of rubbish.

Statistic for you. The UK is by all accounts geographicaly a rather small country. It can fit inside california and we have 1/4 the total CCTV cameras in the WORLD all rammed in to this tiiiiny little space. Why? I dont feel safe anymore i feel watched!!

There was a program on the other night and a guy with a head cam (to prove he was actually doing it) tried to walk a few miles through London without being spotted by a security camera. He wasn't doing anything wrong.. just to see if he could do it. It took him ages to get where he wanted to go without being "checked". Ok its debatable to whether or not we are living in a police state right now but Call100 is making the point that things like this make sure that one day (soon!) we damn well will be.

ID cards are generaly pointless.

call100
18th Jun 2008, 18:32
DeltaIndiaSierraPapa.
It's not the fact of an ID card in itself that is scary. It's the Database convergence that is worrying. They want to track our every move from cradle to grave. This is just the beginning.
ID cards are carried in Europe and have been for years. However, what the UK Government is proposing would not get off the ground there.
We all carry ID in some form or another and yes we have passports, Driving licences, National insurance numbers etc. etc. The proposals are for these to all be initially accessible through the NID. Eventually your ID details will be accessed by anyone who you deal with from Mortgages to Club memberships. This will all be recorded on the database. And so it snowballs.

grison
Some of us are actually actively trying to put a stop to this and get some unity throughout the industry. Most of the major TU's have come out against NID's. None of this is easy, but at least we are trying.

http://forum.no2id.net/

Check them out for more info.....
Airport employees requiring access to the restricted areas are being discriminated against. No you don't have to have one, but, if you don't then you will not get an airside pass. So no Job. That's a despicable way of getting this off the ground.

RollNow!
18th Jun 2008, 19:45
introduction by stealth ... exploitation of the "paranoia" surrounding air travel. Remember if your worried / scared of it its easier to be "blagged" by people with a controlling agenda.:mad:

call100
19th Jun 2008, 09:36
If everyone demands answers from their Union reps and create a bit of stink through that avenue, it will all help. Make sure they talk to the full time officers both locally and nationally. :ok: