PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneer XV162 loss, June 1972

Ewan Whosearmy
3rd Jun 2008, 14:19
Reading Tom Eeles' book, A Passion for Flying, he mentions that the loss of this jet (and its pilot and nav) in June 1972, led to the squadron Boss being relieved of command.

He doesn't go into to detail, other than to say there were issues surrounding flight discipline, and that the Boss had been part of the formation.

I can't find anything on the internet that explains the actual mishap or subsequent investigation. Can anyone enlighten?

This site lists the a/c history: http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S2_XV162_files/0_S2_XV162.html

It also names the lost souls as:

Capt. G Vipond (USAF), and Flt. Lt. JD Walmsley.

SPWalmsley
5th Jan 2009, 00:27
Flt. Lt. JD (Derek) Walmsley was my Uncle. Unfortunately, as I was 5 at the time of his death I can't provide you with any details from personal knowledge. My understanding is that the RAF did not provide that much information to either of his brothers here in Canada or to his mother (since deceased).

I've always wondered why the pilot was USAF - perhaps just an exchange?

If you were able to find out anything else out about this incident I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.

Thanks,

Sean Walmsley
[email protected]

Pontius Navigator
5th Jan 2009, 07:14
Many sqns and HQ had exchange aircrew and this process continues. It is not just the US but commonwealth and NATO that has exchange billets.

Around 1972 was a period when many accidents were believed to be the resonsibility of the command chain. It was likened by some station commanders to living on a knife edge. All the thrill of commanding a first class sqn or station with the sword of Damocles waiting to fall. This had largely passed by the 80s although the feeling was still rife that they had to be seen to take positive steps in any event of flying discipline etc.

The grounding of the CO may have been justified then again maybe not.

Ewan Whosearmy
5th Jan 2009, 11:13
Hi Sean

I didn't get any more information.

Edit: I have filed a FOI request with the MoD for the mishap report. If it is released, I'll send you a copy.

All the best

Ewan

SPWalmsley
5th Jan 2009, 14:58
Thanks - I'd appreciate that.