PDA

View Full Version : 747 200/300 V1 speed

taipanlead
3rd Jun 2008, 11:23
I can find no definitive answer on whether the Boeing manual has been changed since the FAA changed there definition of V1. Before it was the highest speed at which the Take off can be rejected and still stop and is now the decision speed with a buffer (allowance for pilots reaction time) and still stop in time, to agree with the JAR definition. Did Boeing update the manuals to fit this new definition or are the V1 speeds given in the manual still excluding pilots reaction time and hence an action speed not a decision speed? I read an article written by an Evergreen Capt on the topic at : http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_11/takeoff_story.html#top
does anyone know if these procedures are still applied there? Also where can I find this info in the boeing manual. Or does anyone have any other usefull links on the topic. At the moment our company uses V1 as a decision speed although I'm aware that other companies are using it as an action speed and therefore subtracting 8-10 kts from the V1 and using that as a decision speed.

john_tullamarine
4th Jun 2008, 02:10
Generally a rule change is not applied retrospectively .. ie it usually only applies to new designs.

mutt
4th Jun 2008, 04:06
The -200/300 werent recertified, therefore the version of FAR25.109 that applied when the aircraft was certified still applies. As a Boeing operator, look at myboeingfleet.com and you will find a powerpoint presentation on the subject.

therefore subtracting 8-10 kts from the V1 and using that as a decision speed. No we dont, V1 is V1.... Its just the logic that was changed to encourage crew that if they reach V1 then its GO.

Mutt