PDA

View Full Version : Dulles - National Air and Space Museum - Baggage

Gargleblaster
2nd Jun 2008, 20:53
Hi

I'll be touring the Eastern US this summer with the family. Flying from Dulles to Boston. Want to see the National Air and Space Museum (next to Dulles) before flying out.

Thanks to the beloved TSA, Dulles doesn't have any baggage lockers or storage facilities anymore. The museum's ones are too small (we're travelling American style with huge suitcases :-)

Has anybody had the same problem, and possibly a good tip on how to do this ?

Thanks !

Gargleblaster
2nd Jun 2008, 21:10
This is turning into a very strange thread, as I think I've found a solution myself. (Always helps telling somebody about your problems :-)

I'll rent the cheapest, lousiest, smallest, sub-compact tin can that Avis offers for 5 hours ! Total price is 66.35. With only 2 miles each way I can skip a fuel stop !

Eboy
3rd Jun 2008, 12:50
You will also have to pay $12.00 to park at the museum. Yes, admission is free but you have to pay to park!

seacue
3rd Jun 2008, 22:57
Two Miles???? The route parallels Rwy 1R 19L, which is 11500 ft long and has overrun areas. I think that five miles is a better guess. Still not very far.

I forget the exact politics, but the high parking fee is partly to discourage use of the lot by people not going to the museum. So they say....

IAD is a "slow" airport IMO. Allow plenty of time.

PaperTiger
4th Jun 2008, 15:27
Where are you staying the night before ?

If you were to get an airport hotel, you could arrange for a late check out and leave your bags in your room. The Marriott is actually on IAD land and offers a free shuttle to the NASM (or did a few years back).

Gargleblaster
5th Jun 2008, 22:46
Hi

Thanks for the replies. We'll be staying downtown Washington, so not an option to overnight near to Dulles, Washington rural airport ?

Anyhow, have dropped the rental car thing as "hafta" present a gas receipt.

Museum has per mail encouraged seeing exhibits driving suitcases. Will bring hardcopy of said encouragement from named employee.

Thankfully wife and daughter willing to sit on suitcases with suitable stock of snacks, beverages and icecream while I see see the pride of Brit/Frencch aviation namely thee Concorde.

Hafta say slightly stoopid of a major museum next to a major airport. Biiig surprise that people showing up in that remote place aren't there cause they're catching a plane, hence carrying baggage.

Grazie