PDA

View Full Version : AVGAS and trip Mexico - Punta Arenas

tdbristol
2nd Jun 2008, 17:08
Hi,

I am planning a trip early next year from US through Mexico all the way down to Punta Arenas at the southern tip of Chile.

My planned routing after Mexico is:
- Central America: crossing Guatamala, El Salvador [or is Honduras better?] Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama. [Or is it better to route Mexico - Cuba - Dominican Republic - Venezuela?]
- over Colombia to Ecuador
- to Peru
- to Brazil (Manaus area)
- back to southern Peru
- to Chile
- to SW Argentina (N. Patagonia)
- then back to Chile to Punta Arenas

Questions
(1) what is AVGAS availability like in these countries?
(2) what is a good time of year for the weather in these areas? [Maybe winter is more variable but clearer weather???]
(3) any tips/suggestions on flying over/to?

Any help would be appreciated

rcl7700
2nd Jun 2008, 17:24
Hello. I can only help you with Mexico. From what I know most airports have avgas. There's a lot of publications and internet sites so you could check those. The good thing is that we don't have that many airports, so at the few we have there's avgas.

Early in the year sounds like a good time in terms of weather for Mexico. Some coastal areas have early morning fog sometimes but the weather tends to be severe clear from DEC-MAR/APR. There's significant turbulence in Jan and Feb, but that tends to be in the flight levels.

Sounds like a cool trip, good luck.

rcl

leondelfierro
2nd Jun 2008, 23:17
In chile you'll find Avgas in nearlly all big Airports and Airfields used by Flying clubs.
That's... Arica, Iquique, Antofagasta, Copiapo, Viņa del Mar, Santiago, Curico, Chillan, Concepcion, Temuco, Valdivia (SCVL), Osorno, Puerton Montt (and by that city im sure you'll have already start your trip to argentina) but probably many more places, i'll leave here the AIP Web Address anyway
http://www.aipchile.cl/dasa/aip_chile_con_contenido/ais/index.php?dir=3%20AD%20Parte%203