PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

mark sicknote
2nd Jun 2008, 03:45
I'm off shopping today for some new aviation sunglasses.

I've had a load of Oakleys in the past and the plastic framed examples have proven strong and light, but the lenses always scratch easily.

I know that Oakley have their "flack jacket" and "radar" models which now come with interchangeable lenses.

Or should I just buy some Serengeti glasses instead?

If you have used any of the above in the cockpit, pls give me you opinions.

thanks in advance,

Sicknote:ok:

greenslopes
2nd Jun 2008, 04:16
Always had Bolle and rayban then tried serengetti drivers............will never look at another brand. Purely belter!

troppont
2nd Jun 2008, 04:22
Been a Ray-Ban person for some 15 years until I tried a pair of Serengeti Drivers. Won't be wearing anything else. They also darken in bright sunligt. The best ever sunnies for cloudy/overcast days.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

BartV
2nd Jun 2008, 05:47
What Serengeti model do you have ?

mark sicknote
2nd Jun 2008, 05:49
Thanks for the advice guys.

Looks like the Serengetis might be getting the nod after all.

Apparently the Oakleys have bulky arms which can cause problems with certain headsets...pity as they look great!

best,

Top Gunn
2nd Jun 2008, 06:52
Not sure if these are any good, thought about having a look at them myself; a good time for a review I guess :)

http://www.voneeyewear.com/about.html

jxc
2nd Jun 2008, 07:44
Serengeti for me while flying and if you happen to be a member at COSTCO then they do a pair there for £86inc same pair on the internet £140 very thin arms that sit right next to your head so dont interfere with headsets

JBGA
2nd Jun 2008, 08:54
Avoid polarised lenses - unles you like looking through the wierd psychadelic lines across your plastic canopy.

wsmempson
2nd Jun 2008, 09:24
I used to fly with a pair of metal framed Ray-Bans that had a polarising element, without any problems - until we fitted a new KX-155 nav/com; with the Ray-bans on, the unit looked as if it was switched off and it took a stomach-clenching couple of minutes for me to clock what the problem was....DOH!

I now fly with some trad 50's Ray-bans with the arms bent over a hot kettle (so they lie flat against my head with the head-set on) which, imho, are the canines-clackers.

172driver
2nd Jun 2008, 09:29
.... or if you fly on an FAA ticket - polarized lenses not allowed :=

On a different note: can you get the Serengetis with corrective lenses ? I have special bi-focals made with a 'near vison' (i.e. reading) inset that sits a bit higher then usual and is calculated for the distance to the instrument panel. Will need to change these later in the year. For the time being, they live in old Ray Ban Aviators frames, but am open to suggestions - and everyone seems to love the Serengetis !

London Flyer
2nd Jun 2008, 10:04
Another vote for the Serengeti. I have the Vidi frame with corrective lenses - comfy to wear and great for flying, driving and skiing.

I have polarised lenses and have no trouble viewing the twin Garmin 430 kit in the plane I fly with my head in "normal flying position".

Pilotdom
2nd Jun 2008, 10:16
I just got some Serengetis Velocity from the states. Ordered online, delivered in 2 weeks, $90 dollars, plus £9 odd VAT so they cost me about £60.00 quid all in. Im very impressed with them so far, driver gradient lenses are excellent.

scooter boy
2nd Jun 2008, 10:34
Judging by the state of the transparencies in most rental singles I have ever seen - the exact make of sunglasses you wear is a pretty academic issue.

Keeping the canopy clean is far more important, especially at this time of year when it gets peppered with bug juice.

SB

Asrian
3rd Jun 2008, 21:16
Does anyone have "Skylet" glasses from Carl Zeiss?
Many glider pilots recommend them here. These glasses seem to be the official sunglasses of the german national glider team...

Can You get Serengetis with corrective lenses?

Miserlou
4th Jun 2008, 07:06
Another vote for Serengeti. I won't wear anything else.

Major Major
4th Jun 2008, 21:26
Oakley Crosshairs, brown lenses. Doing fine for me.

will5023
4th Jun 2008, 21:32
have used these, for a few days now, both cockpit and soaring, very good so far. http://www.mile-high.info/index.html

Will.

ricenpea
10th Jun 2008, 14:41
Big thumbs up for V:one sunglasses!! I already posted on another sunglasses page, but have had them for a few months now and i am very pleased. I had tried some serengettis but i preferred the v:ones (and they were cheaper too :) ). Topgunn - I saw a few good reviews for them too in loop and TP.

172driver
10th Jun 2008, 14:57
WILL5023,

They look interesting, especially to someone like me who needs corrective lenses. I can imagine them to be great in a soaring situation - but how are they in a cockpit ? Reason I ask is the huge difference in light between outside and inside (i.e. instrument panel). I fly with graduated glasses for this reason, but these, of course, are not interchangeable :{

powerstall
10th Jun 2008, 15:00
i have been using Oakleys since i started flying, well it was all analog then, but now i seem to have problems seeing thru glass displays/CRT's... currently using the Radar series, am gonna try the Serengeti and see for myself 1st hand why most of you had a change of heart.... :ok:

michaelthewannabe
10th Jun 2008, 20:51
Another vote for Oakley Crosshairs, prescription with the 80% grey lens. Top-notch field of view, clarity and neutral colour. Cost about £240, which isn't bad for prescription.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
10th Jun 2008, 21:51
Another vote for Serengeti Drivers. In my case with stick on 1.2 dioptre correction lenses, probably should go for stronger, advancing years yer know...

Otherwise bone dome with tinted visor and the usual half-frames.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

mark sicknote
11th Jun 2008, 04:28
I bought the Serengeti's and flew with them this weekend in a hot and hazy Philippines.

They were fantastic...comfortable...I can honestly say I didn't notice I had them on. The optics are exceptionally clear as well.

I bought the Nuvola which are exceptionally light and frame less.

I'm a happy chappy.

Best,

PS. Here's the link.
http://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/

Barcli
11th Jun 2008, 07:20
Always been a Rayban fan - then tried a friends Serengeti's - 150% better especially with glass screens . go to www.ebay.com and use a Canadian ebay shop 76 USD plus about £11 postage and VAT

hugh flung_dung
11th Jun 2008, 20:06
WKW: "In my case with stick on 1.2 dioptre correction lenses" that sounds very interesting, tell us more. What lenses, from where? It would be great to find a way to add a "reading" segment

I've got some Serengeti drivers gradient lenses in Pilot1 frames - great sunnies but I don't like the fit. I think I'll get the same lenses in a different frame. Mine are unmarked and only worn two or three times if anyone's interested.

HFD

will5023
11th Jun 2008, 20:10
Hi 172, sorry for late reply, I find them fine in the cockpit, also as the lenses are interchangeable you can find a shade that suits you best, give John a call via the earlier link he is very helpfull.

Will.

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
11th Jun 2008, 22:46
HFD,

I’m not sure what type my lenses actually are. A friend got them for me, I think from the ‘States, some years ago.

A quick Google indicates that OPTX 20/20 are something very similar, in fact it may be the same brand. It’s cheaper than prescription sunglasses, particularly if you already have the sunglasses.

Safe Flying,
Richard W.

Co-An
12th Jun 2008, 09:21
Prescription (Rx) sunglasses (including Serengeti) can be ordered online from the states. I used http://www.opticsplanet.net for my Serengeti Sangro Rx sunglasses. Great specs and the ordering was very simple (just took a couple of weeks to arrive). The only downside is that the prescription lenses are only available as glass. You can end up with some hefty plates of glass sitting on your nose if your prescription is on the strong side. Sunny day, hatch closed and latched, slippy nose, heavy specs. With a headset clamping them they're OK.

hugh flung_dung
12th Jun 2008, 10:42
Thanks WKW, I didn't know such things were available until your reply. I've just ordered some from a US guy on eBay.

HFD

vrotpiesanguk
16th Jun 2008, 23:05
I can vouch for V:one Eyewear sunglasses. I use them both while flying and on the ground and the lens is excellent - you can easily see inside the cockpit wearing them too. They're also do them with prescriptions if i'm not mistaken.

potkettleblack
17th Jun 2008, 07:40
My money is on the serengeti's. I brought a pair off ebay about 6 months ago. I liked them so much that I went back and got another pair as a spare just last week. They have the drivers gradient and photochromatic lenses. Think they are a year or so out of date but from what I can see look about the same compared to the current models and its not a fashion show afterall. The model I got was the Pergusa and checking ebay this morning they look to be 55 quid. Very comfortable to wear and they brighten up conditions when in IMC no end.

Do a search on ebay.co.uk. The guy selling them is a powerseller and the glasses arrived in the next days post.

TommyGun
17th Jun 2008, 13:22
I have Persol 2305-S.

Persol are Italian, originally designed for pilots and racing drivers (James Bond wears them).

RTN11
18th Jun 2008, 01:17
I have a nice pair of Russian flying goggles from the cold war with interchangable lenses. Never actually worn them flying.

I wear ray bans with polarised lens and havnt had any problems yet.

verticalhold
18th Jun 2008, 15:16
After donkeys years of RayBans someone bought me a pair of the Serengetti Flex series. I now have a pair in the car, a pair in the nav bag for flying and my spare pair as required by the CAA have corrective lenses.

They are magnificent and I have no problems with seeing the screens

flugholm
23rd Jun 2008, 13:25
Zeiss Skylet corrective lenses here, custom-built into a DKNY frame. Not cheap, but I absolutely love them! :ok:

cockpitferret
23rd Jun 2008, 22:29
V;one. they are really badly made and fall apart no matter what the company claims. it happened to me and several pilot friends after only a couple of days. For one friend it happened in flight on finals at the apparently indestructible joints and the frames and wonderful lenses got jammed under the right rudder pedal- a go around had to be done- and a chirp report had to be filed. the sunglasses are consistently with todays aviation by vitue of their ridiculous price. but that is the closest it should get to being a pilot product. I want my money back and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They also look dated and the model on their website is RAF- Rough as FXXX.

eyedoc
23rd Jun 2008, 22:36
I know, I know. Don't say I didn't tell you so. Oakleys, rayban and Serengettis seem to rule. V1 looks like it didn't quite take off- more like a an EFATO for pilot sunglasses.

vrotpiesanguk
24th Jun 2008, 08:36
Eyedoc, you seem to be a miffed competitor to v:one.

You spent the whole of last week private messaging me asking prying questions about v:one sunglasses (even asking where you could get yourself a pair) and then last night posted a message on Pprune exactly the same as the one now posted by "cockpitferret" slating the sunglasses.

When I questioned you, you immediately deleted your post, set up a new profile called "cockpitferret" (which was set up last night just after you deleted your other post) and copied and pasted your exact message into a post from "cockpitferret" to make out that it came from somebody else.

As I mentioned to you on our private message, I use v:one sunglasses for flying and they're a fantastic quality product. I also know for a fact that other pilots who use them rave about them too. I highly doubt anything that you and cockpitferret claim happened with regard to the sunglasses causing a go-around is actually true.

Shame on you for using these disgraceful tactics!

eyedoc
24th Jun 2008, 09:08
'vrotpiesanguk' - you have no manners, your comments are defamatory and accusational, while you clearly have financial interest in V:one because your posts are blatant advertisements. You have been contracted by the company to give an opinion on the sunglasses and therefore give a biased opinion. Since you were so blatantly reluctant in providing me with further details about the sunglasses when I was genuinely interested in buying a pair (Quote: 'why are you asking me all these questions?'), I instead looked for opinions elsewhere. As a result of your reluctance to provide me with information about the sunglasses I sadly discovered from others that they are in fact crap and apparently dangerous. Please read the terms and conditions of this website before you continue to post what are obviously advertisements.

DavidHoul52
24th Jun 2008, 09:20
I nearly bought a pair of V:one glasses at the Aero Expo as they were being offered 20% off. However, when trying them they felt uncomfortable just behind the ears.

It seems the consensus of posts here are for Serengeti - think I'll buy a pair but with so few days of sunshine lately I'm in no hurry :cool:

GalleyTeapot
24th Jun 2008, 12:29
No one has mentioned Randolph Engineering yet, they make fantastic sunglasses, specially designed to fit under headsets or helmets and are very comportable.
http://www.randolphusa.com/GWW-RandolphEngineering/DisplayPage.aspx?pageid=181

172driver
24th Jun 2008, 13:34
SoCal, my memory was that they were not allowed, but you are, in fact, correct. I would, however, still advise against using them. See below from the FAA:

POLARIZATION. Polarized lenses are not recommended
for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking
reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or
snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of
instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses
may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen
by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the
sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot
has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation.

BRL
24th Jun 2008, 15:10
you have no manners, your comments are defamatory and accusational
What he is saying is true. Your ip matches identical with cockpitferret and this all ties in with what 'vrotpiesanguk' has posted, simple really, you have been sussed. We don't like multiple personalities.

Please read the terms and conditions of this website before you continue to post what are obviously advertisements.

Does not look like that to me. Looks like someone just giving an opinion on them. Even if he owns the company that makes them, he is not exactly spamming the forum with links is he and he has not registered as someone else to make defamatory remarks about a product.........

TommyGun
24th Jun 2008, 15:24
Agree with Galley Teapot...I had a pair of Randolph aviators and they were great (until I lost them!).

As I posted before, got some classic Italian Persol sunglasses now in an aviator style...if they're good enough for 007, they're good enough for me! (although haven't tried them out in the cockpit yet...but they look cool).

On the subject of polarized lenses, I opted for non-poloarised due to flying.

Saab Dastard
24th Jun 2008, 16:32
No one has mentioned Randolph Engineering yet, they make fantastic sunglasses, specially designed to fit under headsets or helmets and are very comfortable.

I second that! I've had a pair for almost 19 years, still going strong. Tan-tinted aviators.

The only reason I've been able to keep them so long is that they are on a "string" - you know the sort of cord that attaches to the arms and goes around your neck, to avoid losing / dropping them. Best £1.50 I've ever spent!

SD

flyme273
27th Jun 2008, 07:05
Also have Randolph's Concorde one with Tan lens which is great for days when it's a bright day and one needs a light shade to take the brightness out; and second pair is AGX grey-green lens - a darker lens for sunshine. Light, comfortable and strongly made, also not too expensive - very pleased with them. Glare reduction is top. Restful on the eyes.

Also have classic Ray Ban - good lens, a bit on the heavy side for long wearing, also hinges need careful handling. But a good product.

flyme

Go Smoke
27th Jun 2008, 18:51
Another vote for Serengettis from me - hands down the best flying glasses I've ever had.
I used to have a pair of Randolphs and they were good.
Before that I had Raybans. They were ok, not as good as the Randolphs, but ok.
Then I tried my mates Serengettis with the drivers gradient lenses and what a difference......they really are the dogs preverbial.
I flogged the Randolphs to a friend and went straight out and bought the Serengetti velocity frames with drivers gradient lenses.
Can't praise them highly enough really - the world is a sweeter place when you look through them........cloud contrast is excellent........colour clarity seems unchanged..........I seem to be able to visually spot other traffic sooner.......I find my eyes get less tired.....all good stuff.

Squeegee Longtail
27th Jun 2008, 20:09
The Randolphs were the thing to have 15 years ago. Surely they can't still be the best out there? My darling wife doesn't allow me to wear mine anymore - says I look like a tw*t in them, which of course must be the case if she says so ;)

J.A.F.O.
28th Jun 2008, 06:52
Somerfield's £3.90 sunglasses - buy a dozen pairs, break 'em, who cares.

snapper41
28th Jun 2008, 12:08
Having just sat on my Oakley A wires and broken them (doh), I've taken the recommendations on here and gone for a pair of Serengeti Argosy Drivers; ebay, £53 new and delivered. Looking forward to trying them!

hugh flung_dung
1st Jul 2008, 08:21
I just wanted to thank WhiskyKiloWanderer again for mentioning the stick-on reading segments. I've been using them now for a couple of weeks and they're excellent!

Also, I said earlier that I didn't like the fit of my Pilot1 frames but having tweaked the curvature of the wires the problems are solved. The Serengeti drivers gradient lenses are superb.

HFD

blue monday
1st Jul 2008, 09:01
The Serengeti Argosy Drivers look just like my Animal agressor 2 sunglasse (Circa £60-70), i find mine great when flying (have a grey lense)they have a bayonett fitting too so fit well with the headset on. I find them on par with the ray ban flight pande they replaced. Also have some randolf aviators - never wear them though as i look a tw*t in them.

rich_g85
24th Jul 2008, 13:54
As per the title, just wanted to gather some recommendations on which sunglasses you guys wear for flying.

I'm quite keen on Oakleys - are any of their models suitable for use with a headset?

Thanks

MIKECR
24th Jul 2008, 14:08
I have a pair of Oakley A wires which I bought 6 years ago. Wouldnt swap them for anything else. Perfectly comfortable with both my bose-x and my old DC headsets.

Dream Land
24th Jul 2008, 14:23
Serengeti 6691 Velocity Driver gradient, great for glass cockpits!

jxc
24th Jul 2008, 14:53
Serrengeti for me

omcaree
24th Jul 2008, 15:36
Mile High (http://www.mile-high.info/) for me

Cheap, wrap-round and multiple lenses. Had no problems with headsets.

Ultranomad
24th Jul 2008, 19:00
I look at every stand with cheap sunglasses and if I find a pair I like, I buy it. They may fall apart in 6 months, but hey - they work and definitely worth their price of 5-10 euros. No more worries about lost, misplaced or broken glasses - I just grab another pair. No worries about quality, either - since 1997, all sunglasses in the EC have been subject to mandatory certification under EN 1836.

Farrell
24th Jul 2008, 19:06
Oakley A-Wires (grey lens) with the rubber socks removed.

If it is very bright and hazy, I have a pair of Serengetti which seems to cut the edge off things very well.

EdnaClouds
15th Dec 2008, 18:34
Right then, tis nearly the time of the year for a present...yes a Serengeti present :)

I went into the shop last week to try the Velocity on and was exceptionally pleased with the pair ( having all the other brands there too gave me an immediate & useful comparison). The only thing was that they only had the 'Espresso' drivers gradient in stock, and I was thinking about getting the 'Gunmetal' drivers gradient lens.

Does anyone have an opinion on which colour lens is the best or rather, preferred?

Pilotdom
15th Dec 2008, 21:13
I have the espresso version. They are better for flying with in my opinion. In bright sunshine thet are excellent, and in poor light conditions they seem to give better clarity through the lens.

hugh flung_dung
16th Dec 2008, 08:39
If you want them to improve your ability to spot targets in hazy conditions you want something that blocks blue light, that means orange or tan. Pretty obviously the worst colour for aviation use would be blue.
I have a pair of Serengeti Pilots with a tan drivers gradient - excellent for spotting other aircraft and very little colour distortion. Initially I didn't like the wire frame but it was fine once I formed it to fit my head/ears; there's no chance of them falling off in neg g and they don't affect the effectiveness of the earcup seal.
Cheapest place I found was http://www.sunglassescheaper.com (http://www.sunglassescheaper.com/) - good service and a good price.

HFD

hatzflyer
16th Dec 2008, 08:44
Ray Bans were almost universal a few years back,but I stopped wearing them after watching a documentary on the TV.
The parent company that own(ed?) ray ban were formost a cosmetic company and single handedly wiped out an entire species of monkeys to use for testing .The scenes were horrific, large groups of monkeys were trapped and only the ones of certain age were taken to be used,the others being clubbed to death or the old/injured ones just being left to die.

Pace
16th Dec 2008, 09:33
They look interesting, especially to someone like me who needs corrective lenses. I can imagine them to be great in a soaring situation - but how are they in a cockpit ? Reason I ask is the huge difference in light between outside and inside (i.e. instrument panel). I fly with graduated glasses for this reason, but these, of course, are not interchangeable

I went for a medical and was told by my AME that I had to use glasses for flying. Off to the eye specialists and they said no your vision is fine maybe a tiny fraction for poor light reading but hey the AME is the boss.

No way did I want to wear glasses so had the glasses tinted so they looked like sunglasses.

Back to the AME and out comes the book for the colour test "failed" !
But How can I fail as I have had loads of colour tests over the years without a problem.

Then it struck me! Put on blue glasses look at yellow and you will see green etc. I protested. " You have to wear the prescription glasses for the eye tests". was his reply.

That was it " so every pilot wearing sunglasses is colour blind and hence illegal" ?

The Ame stuck to his guns, I had to go and buy a pair of clear glasses resit the test before he would issue my medical.

I was livid as I had to buy a third set of glasses when my eye specialists said I didnt need them anyway and that medical cost me a fortune.

I never used that AME again but beware.

Pace