PDA

View Full Version : Bristow jobs for a just graduated pilot

workaccount
1st Jun 2008, 11:42
Hi,
I was under the impression that heli jobs were hard to come by and was speaking to a guy on another forum about this.

He reckons that it's easy to get a job for a low hours pilot and Bristow take them on regularily in the North sea.

He says that it's easy enough to get in if you go through the bristow academy and that they are nearly always looking for new pilots and the new ones obviously have less than 200 hours. He also says that the starting salary is 45k sterling. (fantastic money)

Is this complete pie in the sky??

Thanks.

Whirlygig
1st Jun 2008, 11:51
Without an instrument rating, I'd say yes, it's pretty much pie in the sky. Even with an IR, it's unlikely that you'd just walk into a job straight although it has happened.

Cheers

Whirls

2papabravo
1st Jun 2008, 11:56
I beg to differ...

I'm hearing multiple tales of success that sound very similar to that...but I agree that it is with your IR ticket in hand...

Lastest CHC advert for Den Helder stipulated just 100hours PIC for Co-jo positions

outhouse
1st Jun 2008, 12:26
As whirlygig indicates the Instrument rating is a prerequisite, Some operators may have a self improvers scheme that may allow selected low hr pilots from known training schools a chance. Another thing to consider is that it’s extremely unlightly that the low hr chap has the required type rating; this generally would mean a hefty bond over a number of years. Also remember that the client has a minimum hrs requirement for pilots operating the service for them, both total time and time on type. Hence the caveat that some clients have allowing new and low hr pilots being accepted under the “self improvers” banner.
Generally they are few and far between, hence yes “its pretty much pie in the sky” unless you are very lucky.
Having been responsible for bringing some young blood into the industry, selecting the best with a very good training record and a school recommendation along with a dedicated commitment did prove to be very successful.
New blood is needed in the industry and some encouragement re the light at the end of the training tunnel for really good young and keen graduated pilots is essential.
Good luck.
Outhouse.
:ok:

jeepys
1st Jun 2008, 12:30
For the last 3 or 4 years or so there have been plenty of newbies taken on to fly the North Sea as a co-pilot. The IR is more important than hours. An IR and 200 hours being a fairly good egg have been the requirements. The 45k bit I am not sure. Personally I would say £35-38k as a newbie with IR but I could be a bit out of touch

The question is how long will this continue for?

workaccount
1st Jun 2008, 12:47
When you say a hefty bond/"self improvers" outhouse what do you mean?

outhouse: Seeing as you said you have been responsible for recruiting in the past what do you look for in a student pilot apart from tecnhical skills that's important?

Helipilot1982
1st Jun 2008, 14:18
They prefer to take pilots who have come from their IR school at Norwich!!! If you do that you have a chance. The north sea boys are recruting low hour guys - I am one and have just got a job. I believe Bristows pay a new FO approx £42k:ok:

workaccount
1st Jun 2008, 15:01
Helipilot1982 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=150406): No disrespect intended to your new fantastic job, congratulations but I have heard that the North Sea jobs can be quiet boring. How do you find it? What kind of chopper do you co-fly?

Also, is it true that you are tied into a 5 yr contract?

Cheers.

Helipilot1982
2nd Jun 2008, 15:17
Super Puma's!!
Boring - it depends on what type of flying you like doing and your personal circumstances.
And No its not a 5 year bond - its shorter than that!!

HP1982

outhouse
2nd Jun 2008, 15:29
Workaccount just to answer your questions briefly.

The self improver pilot was a general term used to describe a new pilot who had paid for his own training and probably had previous employment out side of the industry that financed his training. Maybe not a term that would be commonly used now, but tended to describe the pilot that financed his own move into the aviation industry. What it did do was separate away from the ex military and company sponsored ones.
Regarding the term Hefty Bond, when I was involved maybe the market place was a little different than it is today, a reasonable supply of ex military pilots coming into the industry would tend to satisfy some/most of the demand for new pilots, most had twin turbine time and good experience the risk if any was low, the cost involved converting him to the required type was absorbed, generally if the conditions were good the pilot stayed with the company for a number of years. Hence low risk on the company costs, generally a good investment.

The self improver was avoided by some companies, this in some cases was because of limitations placed by the client, company minimum requirements and (sorry no disrespect intended) a generally unknown entity.
Dispensations on experience were possible with some clients at that time; however the company had to have procedures in place that ensured that the new very low hr pilot had a graduated and supervised introduction into the operation.
This meant that his overall cost to the company was higher than, to use the term direct entry military pilot, and the risk factor was higher. Hence some company’s costs mainly the type conversion costs were bonded back to the new pilot.
On employment he agreed that he would work with the company for say 3 years, the conversion costs, say 20,000 USD would be the bonded figure; it would decrease over the period to zero at the end of the bond. Thus he stayed for the minimum period or was libel to pay the outstanding amount if he left inside the period.
It seemed to satisfy the company and generally was welcomed by the new pilot. A chance that otherwise may not of existed.

What was one looking for re selection, technical skills certainly became evident during the conversion course and generally followed the assessment made during the interview process, the actual failure rates were extremely low, any short Cummings displayed normally reflected the quality of the training at the school that he had attended and could be corrected fairly easily. Apart from the normal exchange of questions and answers that would be expected at any interview, an overall impression of his desire to join the company, had he researched the company, his knowledge of the company and history was good.
A visit to the hanger and dispersal, its amazing how much information can be gained in this sort of informal walk around the helicopter and sitting in the cockpit that would not show in a more formal setting. A chance to use a simulator was a real bonus, 30 minutes Would generally confirm the decision. A check with the flight school for the usual recommendation was general. The overall impression was important, I will say not all made the grade and I hate to say it but personality did play a part.

Sorry about the long missive but it is a complicated issue and in the end unfortunately it could be subjective and maybe a controversial subject.

outhouse

:ok:

Brilliant Stuff
3rd Jun 2008, 12:53
So that was why Peter Norton took me round the hangars and offices yet me telling him I am not a fan of company cars since I prefer mine has not scuppered my chances of joining the company, and he made my life by offering me a job down south instead of in the grim north.

Thanks Peter:ok::ok::ok:

lucyhoneypot
3rd Jun 2008, 17:52
Hey all!
This thread is answering exactly the questions i've been asking on here and want to know before i start training. One further question- how employable do you consider US trained pilots compared to European(ie. JAA) trained? Is it still all about the vital IR?

Blue Rotor Ronin
3rd Jun 2008, 23:35
Just got back into North sea ops after SAR and boredom depends on individual thresholds and oil field geography; the Norwich newbie Helipolot 1982 has just joined a hands on short range shuttletastic op, whereas your Aberdeen long range op can be politely described as dull as the proverbial, depends on what you wish for. As for our American friends, they are always welcome as long as they pass the JAA addittions to their p!@s easy FAA exams..GRRR!!!! lol:ok:

mikelimapapa
4th Jun 2008, 01:14
You're just jealous!!!:p At least Americans have a bit more sensible approach to aviation:D

outhouse
4th Jun 2008, 02:57
Nothing wrong with the FAA approved course from PPL-H through to IR and CPL, different emphasis though when you conceder the hrs required for ground school and examination. The system produces a qualified low hr pilot that once in a commercial environment and completes his type training can be developed into a skilled and competent asset. However the quality of his basic training tends to follow him. Quality of basic training is important, choose wisely. The bind as indicated is the acceptance re the JAA of FAA qualification. The combined course is an alternative if affordable, in my view the FAA provides need to know knowledge. The JAA insists on: Need to know, Nice to know and May need one day so had better insist you know it now.

Outhouse.

Whirlygig
4th Jun 2008, 06:22
The JAA insists on: Need to know, Nice to know and May need one day so had better insist you know it now.Plus the "you have absolutely no need to know this but we need to pad out the syllabus!" information.

Just heard on Radio 4 that "scientists" reckon there are many more unexplored oil fields in the North Sea than they first thought - so I hope that's good news for the off-shire helicopter industry??

Cheers

Whirls