PDA

View Full Version : Low-time Canadian CPL looking for 3-month working holiday in Africa. Feasable?

v6g
1st Jun 2008, 00:42
I hold a Canadian (ie: ICAO) CPL with a total of about 250 hours. Now, although I've come this far into Aviation it's been primarily as a hobby and I've not really got any intention of going into aviation full-time.

However, I'm considering taking a three-month sabbatical from my office job and heading to somewhere in Africa for some short-term flying work and maybe a bit of adventure along the way. I don't have any specific requirements of where/when/what/why.

1) Is the idea of doing anything in 3-months totally unfeasible or will it likely take me most of that time just to get the licenses converted etc... and to find a job.

2) Can I just turn up with a Canadian (ICAO) CPL and my headset and be ready to go or do I need to undertake a lengthy conversion process? Is it different for each country? If so, which countries are "easier" from a conversion perspective?

3) In my ignorant state, I say "Africa" but I fully appreciate that it's a big BIG place - which countries / regions offer the best prospects? Where should I avoid?

4) I don't have my multi or multi-IFR, is it worth me completing this first or am I extremely unlikely to need it with my limited experience?

5) Is there a good time of year to go or not go?

6) Having done my training in Western Canada I have some mountain experience - does this give me any advantage in any particular locations or companies?

7) What might I realistically be paid in a bottom-of-the-rung job? Will it be enough to survive or should I consider that I'll need to pay my way for the entire duration?

8) Visas? As a UK and Canadian citizen will I need work visas or is it just turn-up-and-go?

8) Am I a lamb-to-the-slaughter-stupid-idiot or contemplating a worth-while experience?

Greatfully anticipating your replies!

bigmanatc
1st Jun 2008, 00:53
It used to be a great idea.... not so sure it is anymore.....Africa is not ...well ...Africa anymore :suspect:

Glorified Donkey
1st Jun 2008, 01:26
"I hold a Canadian (ie: ICAO) CPL with a total of about 250 hours. Now, although I've come this far into Aviation it's been primarily as a hobby and I've not really got any intention of going into aviation full-time"

Yea 250 hours, dont see that kind of experience these days, you've come a long long way.

"2) Can I just turn up with a Canadian (ICAO) CPL and my headset and be ready to go or do I need to undertake a lengthy conversion process? Is it different for each country? If so, which countries are "easier" from a conversion perspective?"

Well with your kind of experience I think they will supply you a golden heaset

"4) I don't have my multi or multi-IFR, is it worth me completing this first or am I extremely unlikely to need it with my limited experience?"

Why would you not need it, ESPECIALLY someone that has low time?
Most single engine jobs are going to be flown single pilot with high time or a quick upgradeable FO incase the captain gets a bullet in the head during the takeoff roll.

"8) Am I a lamb-to-the-slaughter-stupid-idiot or contemplating a worth-while experience?"

I think at this point you know the answer.

A canadian licence is worthless internationally, unless you have lots of time, time on type, or know people. Even single engine jobs will require you to have multi-ifr. It doesnt seem like you are too sure about what the requirements are out there. 250hrs with a canadian licence will land you in 5 places.

1.)a flight instructor
2.)ramp job up north, these days movement is fast less than a year
3.)if you're lucky right seat on a clapped out navajo
4.)if you have dual citizenship and licences from a home country you left to come to canada, you can go back and try to find work.
5.)unemployment line

I'm afraid you gotta do hard time when you're canadian... now let me hear you say its the best country in the world :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Jun 2008, 06:48
...Africa is not ...well ...Africa anymore...

Au contraire. Africa is now more African than it ever was in the last couple of hundred years. Problem is that Africa no longer conforms to Western ideals and standards. The great social experiment has succumbed to the inertia, venality and greed on which Africa functions.

Your best bet may be Zambia, Maun or Tanzania but for a company to spend time and money to get you a validation/licence they may want you to stick around a little longer than three months. Doing it yourself is possible but it may get expensive, and unless you know and can work the system like those who've been there for years it may not be worth the headaches. A couple of places in Zambia are currently looking for pilots and the Maun season starts around the beginning of each year if you want to plan around that. For Maun you need to be up and running when the season starts so I suggest a November/December start date for your tour in that area. Once again, you may battle with the time span you have in mind regarding licencing issues, but if you just want to fly around a bit PM me for details of an operation using N reg aircraft for guided tours.

maxrated
1st Jun 2008, 07:00
V6G

Please ignore the rude comments by "Donkey Boy", I recon you have an excellent chance of coming right, I concur with SRT, you should also consider Namibia, lots of C210/206 operators who seem to use some expat pilots, salaries for flying in these operations are quite liveable, considering how much booze those Maun / Windhoek bushpilot guys knock back they must have a substantial disposable income.

Good luck.

fly1981
1st Jun 2008, 08:07
Have a look at www.avcom.co.za, look up a user by the name of itchy kitchin (http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8080)', he is always looking for LOW time Cpl pilots to fly in Zambia, not to sure what the visa implications will be!GOOD LUCK!!!:ok:

south coast
1st Jun 2008, 10:23
I think you will struggle to find a job when you mention you only want to stay/work for three months.

You should remember, to make it worth while for some of the operators, they need to be able to take advantage of you for much longer than three months!

Rather go and hire a plane and fly around South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and have your adventure that way.

Who knows, as a foreigner in SA, you might even get attacked by the locals...now wouldn't that be a story to tell your mates back in Canada!

Glorified Donkey
1st Jun 2008, 15:35
I applied for a King Air 200 at Sefofane in Namibia a couple years back. In Canada I got left seat at 1500hrs and had experience. They were looking for 3000hrs. Even a C206/210, they will be looking for alot of experience as you will be flying single pilot in very remote bush. This is not like doing circuits. If you apply with 250hrs for 3 months I guarantee you will not get hired. Even if they do accept 250hrs which I know they dont, there will be some african kid straight out of school that will be willing to do it for longer to build his time and they will give preference to him.

If you want to fly in Africa as south coast said, rent a plane and do it for pleasure.

I'm not trying to be a *ick, but your request is very unreasonable and you dont know the landscape thats over there. You run out of fuel, have an engine failure on a single engine or get caught in a storm, and the storms there are huge, and u dont have the experience... you dead. If you land in the wrong area and locals dont like u they will start stripping ur plane of parts and leaving, and thats if ur lucky....

bigmanatc
1st Jun 2008, 16:33
SRT ... Africa used to be a real nice friendly place.....you could go anywhere..without problems.... Try it today.....!!:ugh:

passionforflying
1st Jun 2008, 17:35
v6g,

I don t know where some of the guys seem to get there negative and wrong info from..... Botswana and Tanzania are just equally desperate at the moment and both do hire guys with as little as 250 hours, though Botswana I would say is the better option if you are going for some PIC time.
Search this forum for "Maun/ Botswana" and you should find plenty of info. Everything said on here still applies, apart from the salaries which have about doubled over the last year, at least in Maun that is.

Companies are getting more desperate by the day, so it shouldn't be too difficult to land a job for anybody at the moment.

As for three months during your vacation, that i agree, won t be possible. Not only because it won t be worth the while for the company to get work permits etc for you, but also because the whole process of getting your license, work permit and doing your training might take up most of those three months.
Come for a year and you ll be walking away laughing with lots of experience, a little bit of savings and a bunch of great friends.

Please don t let anybody tell you otherwise!

Good luck
Passionforflying

jas24zzk
22nd Jun 2008, 12:55
What passion says is so true!

take his advice

i recently lost a mate in africa, but the hours are there for the taking!

matty went from 240 hours to 1037 in nine months

the work exists