PDA

View Full Version : Urgent reply needed - qualifications

SparksFlyHigh
31st May 2008, 14:03
I hope you guys can help...

Basically, i am looking at going to Uni Sep 09 on the aviation studies with fATPL course.

I know for the most part the qualifications required by an airline is 5 relevant gcse's and 2 a-levels.

Currently i only have one a-level because i only completed half the course to start full time work, but i have the required ucas points to get on the course (foundation degree then Bachelor's degree).

My question is, if i have 10 good gcse's and a Bachelors in aviation studies along with my fATPL, will having only 1 a-level go against me in anyway?

G SXTY
31st May 2008, 14:08
Any sensible airline will be much more interested in your licence(s), life / work experience and personality than how many A levels you have.

Academic qualifications are a filter, and a fairly crude one at that. If you have the licence, that's enough for most operators.

SparksFlyHigh
31st May 2008, 14:23
Ok, so what if i had the Bacherlors degree but not the fATPL. Would only one a-level effect my chances or do they consider the degree a complete override?

Edit: what i mean by that is does a degree in general override a-levels or would they look and think "this guy obviously couldnt be bothered to get more a-levels"?

hollingworthp
31st May 2008, 14:25
It depends whether you want a flying job or not - if you want to sit right up at the front of the aircraft, you will need a fATPL - a degree will be no substitute.

SparksFlyHigh
31st May 2008, 14:34
Indeed.

Im just trying to work out whether my one a-level will suffice?

I need to know whether i should keep working and saving for the atpl or get another a-level EVEN though after Uni i would have a degree anyway?

hollingworthp
31st May 2008, 14:40
G SXTY summed it up perfectly - academic qualifications are unlikely to impact your employability unless you want to look at one of the 'tagged' schemes.

However, it is definitely wise in the current climate to have a back-up plan lest you lose your medical, want to work while doing a modular course or are unable to secure that illusive first job. Having a degree could well be of use here.

bajadj
31st May 2008, 14:41
a batchelors degree is obviously a higher qualification than an a level, so IMO you wouldn't need the extra a level, unless you are just doing a foundation degree which are worthless to anyone except oaa's marketing department.

SparksFlyHigh
31st May 2008, 14:45
Ok thanks for the replies.

I just wanted to know whether it was worth getting another a-level, when i could be working and saving for the atpl. Just seems pointless if i am going to have a degree anyway.

Its like someone not hiring a professional motorbiker because he didnt do his cycling proficiency test when he was 10.

SparksFlyHigh
31st May 2008, 14:47
Well i am starting on the Foundation course but will be doing the Bachelors top in the third year.

helimutt
31st May 2008, 18:04
I did 'o' levels, then I did 'a' levels and because I was a lazy arse, didnt turn up for my 'a' level exams!!
I've never been asked about my school qualifications for flying jobs.
Only if I had the required ticks in the boxes for flying. Just as well really. :ooh: