PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed from pilots please ...

visualwith737
31st May 2008, 10:58
After spending a lot of time talking to all the usual suspects and more on various routes to ATPL training, I'm now in the position where I'm about to give my hard earned cash to Bristol and start my ground school, however I do have a question, I'm 44 had a successfull career and have the means and the time to do my training ... however by the time I'm done I'll be 46/47, what are the realistic chances of obtaining work with an airline at that age with what will be minimum hours?

I'll be honest its not that I'll need the vast amount of money that is paid (sic) but I really would like to fly commercially, but will I get any work??

Just need some honest advice guys and gals am I too old now??

Look forward to your replies

Martin

CAT3C AUTOLAND
31st May 2008, 11:39
Hello Martin. I don't have first experience myself of getting a job when you are in your 40's, however I do know a couple of chaps who have been successful in landing a job when they have been in their mid 40's. Both people came from an instructing backround and went to work for 2 biz jet operators.

I am sure you know this already, but there are many avenues to be explored once you have your licence. I know it is not quite the same, but I didn't get my first full time commercial jet job until I was 32, so there are jobs for the more mature pilot :).

Personally I think you should go for it. It really is a great job, and will provide you with alot of enjoyment. All the best with it.

visualwith737
31st May 2008, 11:43
Thanks Cat, I will go for it I've been waiting a long time to be in a position to do it, I enjoy my PPL and all my instructors have told me I'll be fine .... watch this space!

Laroussi
31st May 2008, 11:48
Hi Visual,

Firstly welcome:ok:

I too am older than tha avarage wanabee. If you read through the mass of info on here you'll get an idea that its hard but not impossible. However like all things in life, try to do as much research as possible and go into it with your eyes fully open.

At 47 you've still got 18 years of working life in you! That's if you want to work till 65 that it. I think 18 years is a reasonable amount of time, don't you. I have a friend who got command with Ryanair after only 5 years.

It will depend on how hard you work at it and the connections you make along the way. If you are willing to go far and wide to get that first job then I personally don't see why not.

All the best.

visualwith737
31st May 2008, 11:53
Laroussi, thanks for that yes am doing as much research as I can, work is out there, suppose I'd really like to sit down with an airline ans see first hand what its really like!

Captain_djaffar
31st May 2008, 12:25
wish you good luck.
I've read many testimonies here on pprune about chaps in their middle and late 40's confirming their employment opportunities after their training.
have a look at them.

31st May 2008, 21:32
Visual,

You should take a look at the 'sticky' thread called 'READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION!!' at the start of the Forum. There are links to age specific threads that you will find of interest and there is a wealth of other information in there that you may also find of assistance?

I am sure that you would have been told this already, but get your class 1 medical if you haven't already before doing anything else?

Good luck!

tonker
1st Jun 2008, 08:25
The man sat behind me when i was doing my ATPL's was nearing his 50's and was a retired coal miner.

He's currently a Captain on a 757 not far from yourself.

You only live once, and anyway who wants to grow old rich anyway:}