PDA

View Full Version : working for Asiana

travelwell72
31st May 2008, 02:10
anyone know what it's like to work for Asiana ?? what's the training like and any animosity towards contract Capts in there ?

i hear that it's not that great between contract and local pilots there ?? maybe i've heard wrong ..

CAPTDOUG
1st Jun 2008, 01:02
I can tell you that Asiana is a professional airline. Their training though is pretty much non existant. The program is read the books and put the puzzle together. It is the Asian way. But it is getting better. They are a very talking flight deck and it is very distracting. But in time you get used to it. It is just a big change from the US and Europe kind of flight decks.
Do not quit your job to come to work for Asiana or Korean. Both are very hard programs even for the airplane type qualified. Please read about Korean Air in this section. Take a 3 month leave and do not risk paying for a type rating. SOP's are a nightmare. Line flying is more important that sim rides.

Some FO's do resent you but hey who wouldn't. Mostly they are good to fly with. They are qualified but since they are not military they are not given the chance. Up-grades are management chosen.

Once you get through the training and CASA check they leave you alone. Commuting is much much better at Korean Air

tom744
7th Jun 2008, 00:47
Basically I agree with CAPTDOUG's post that's how they do it here in Korea.
But Asiana better commuting like Korean?
I doubt it...correct me if I'm wrong,but Asiana isn't a commuting contract but Korean is. They built in fact your roster around your off request every month and so fare they never denied me a single request in 2 years, and I've heard from coworkers never missed any anniversary or birthday within their family in 10 years.
If you like to plan your off days Korean is maybe the best contract now and I didn't hear yet that Asiana is offering any similar.
But I could be wrong, things are changing fast in Asia.

edit:
sorry CAPTDOUG, instead of "commuting is much much better in Korean" I read "commutin ismuch much better than Korean".....
shouldn't post at 3:00 pm after coming out of the bar...

Geragau
7th Jun 2008, 01:00
Hi Tom, is your English proficiency at level 6? I read of KAL skippers having level 6 English, but are pathetic in real life ATC environment. Hope that doesn't apply to written English. Or are you too quick off the mark........quick draw McGraw?:=

tom744
7th Jun 2008, 12:50
Hi Geragau,
yes I have level 6 but after coming home after a 12 h flight yesterday and hitting the bar maybe even my native language level wasn't the best anymore....
but to answer your question:
most expad skippers got level 6, some level 5, very few level 4.
Some guys,even native speakers got some problems with "korenglish" and "japenglish" as well as "chinenglish" at the beginning because they've never been to that part of the world before.
Or do you know what " diisidendaaaa babalishdaaaa" means?

Yeah, "descend as published"

bjlurzjet
24th Jul 2008, 03:39
I'm going through Rishworth for the Asiana contract. Those of you over there could you tell me if they are looking for 320 Capt's? Which contract over there is the better one? I'm looking at Vietnam also-I want to try for the Asian carriers.

Thanks for any info.