PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day In Grand Rapids. But NO Fatals.

RJ Kanary
30th May 2008, 11:46
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/05/helicopter_crash_at_butterwort.html

SASless
30th May 2008, 12:21
Tis a shame....Twenty One Years accident free....and the most senior pilot at the controls when it did happen. Having the FAA aboard at the time is a bit ironic.:(

The good news is all are safe!

mickjoebill
30th May 2008, 17:21
Thankfully no patients on baord.
The article reports that fuel leaked into a room below.
If true it sounds unusual that the construction of the pad would allow this to happen?

Was their a fire crew on duty at the time of the crash or is such cover optional in the USA?

Mickjoebill

Phrogman
30th May 2008, 17:33
More than likely the firecrew was nearby by circumstance, there is no requirement to have a crash crew on duty. I fly US Coast Guard AS365's to hospital pads all the time and it always makes me nervous late at night to get to that committed portion of the approach with no assistance readily available. Tragic case, but perhaps the investigation will encourage having more crash response on scene. I have seen one pad that has fire suppression all around the elevated pad, I assume it is activated by the folks downstairs. Other than that, they are pretty bare bones.

SASless
30th May 2008, 17:34
No standby fire crew required.

Helipads usually have fuel containment design and fire fighting equipment built into the structure....varies from site to site. Local fire codes are more stringent than FAA requirements.

Phrogman
30th May 2008, 17:55
I wonder if having a member of the mishap crew being from the FAA will get that changed, but having seen the FAA in action...:ugh: