PDA

View Full Version : The critical CV's (resume's) for Pilots

chchflyboy
30th May 2008, 08:07
Now I have put together my first CV for my aviation career, however I am unsatisfied with it, as I have little indication of format, things to write and things not to write, other than looking at other examples, on the net etc.
What do you think is important to include? I'm sure format varies for most- other than the obvious that you would state- (hours etc), but is there anything companies would like to see written down?

MIKECR
30th May 2008, 10:09
One page, and one page only! I can emphasise that enough. It is possible to fit everything you need onto a single piece of A4.

Make sure its plain white, black ink and nothing fancy. Its should format to Microsoft Word as thats what most companies use. Dont use any internet fancy design software package that a potential Chief Pilots email address wont format!! Keep it nice and simple.

As for content - Full personal details(date and place of birth etc), home address, home and mobile telephone numbers, email address. Then flying qualifications(licence obtained etc, issuing state, Medical currency etc, first time passes if relevant). Then breakdown of flying hours(PIC, SEP, MEP etc etc). Below all that i would suggest employment history and education. Then awards/achievements(if relevant) and then sports/hobbies. Lastly I would include your availibility. If you are available 'immediately' then make sure you say so. You will significantly boost your chances of a job if you can 'start tommorrow' type thing.

Re-Heat
30th May 2008, 10:22
Yes - don't use apostrophes for plurals (resume's is incorrect...)

EpsilonVaz
30th May 2008, 10:23
Try to keep the relevant things at the top, like total time ect, keep your address towards the bottom.

chchflyboy
30th May 2008, 10:34
Awsome thank you, for sports and hobbies etc should I just briefly mention in short paragraphs, rather than sentences?

Eg,

New Zealand regional Basketball team (U21s), High School Coach, Tutor for junior skills (Ages 5-10)

...sort of thing, rather than the whole "basketball was such an inspirational part of my life, as I learned key aspects of team work and leadership... sort of bsh*t

And yes your right resumes has no 's, just very tired.
But thanks for the reminder of the importance of grammer. (seriously)

heli_port
30th May 2008, 10:46
does anyone put a photo on top of their cv? i personally never have but somebody mentioned that airlines liked this :confused:

don't have to worry about this issue until 2010 but just for my info ;)

MIKECR
30th May 2008, 10:57
No, just a single line with:-

SPORTS/HOBBIES - Football, swimming, skiing / Stamp collecting, Pigeon fancying or whatever floats your boat!!!

If you are called for an interview then the interviewer may wish to ask you to elaborate on one of your hobbies.

The key things to your cv are your personal details, contacts, flying qualifications and hours, previous work experience and availaibilty. The other topics as mentioned are just flowery piss that fill up the page.

portsharbourflyer
30th May 2008, 11:01
No photo unless the company asks you to send a photo with the application.

Remember due to discrimination laws then a photo should not be a requirement.

As for hobbies, very brief / minimal detail (single word or sentence) even consider not including then at all.

Last year I removed the hobbies section from my CV and still got invited to six interviews.

shaun ryder
30th May 2008, 13:36
No photo unless the company asks you to send a photo with the application.

Remember due to descrimination laws then a photo should not be a requirement.

What? That did not make sense, sorry.

Professional advice says put a photo on it.

Re-Heat
30th May 2008, 13:40
Scrap most hobbies - one line of interests, with mix of team, aviation and intellectual interests is best.

Do not include a photo. Times have changed and it is no longer recommended on a CV and initial application even though this used to be a common request.

Pilot Pete
30th May 2008, 16:49
Professional advice says put a photo on it. what professional advice?

PP

portsharbourflyer
31st May 2008, 00:04
Shaun Ryder,

It is not difficult really, quite simply some adverts request a photo hence send one.

Descrimination laws simply mean you cannot make any pre-selection based on someones race or colour or physical appearance hence a photo placed on a CV immediately gives scope for descrimination on the above criteria.

shaun ryder
31st May 2008, 03:16
Professional advice off someone like yourself PP. But has now jacked it in admittedly.

3Greens
31st May 2008, 08:52
portsharbourflyer

it is my guess that he (shaun ryder) was alluding to your (mis)spelling of "discrimination".

portsharbourflyer
31st May 2008, 10:16
Ok fair point.

Needless to say spelling on my CVs was perfect or wouldn't be where I am right now. Another good point check the spelling on CVs.