PDA

View Full Version : DGCA - The Indian Hurdle.

jet_air
30th May 2008, 05:30
India would have been a great place to fly...

Had DGCA never existed ...

I am an Indian National with a CPL MER IR CFI and a Be-200 Rating.

And i sail in the same boat as many Indian CPL Holders are..

But i differ in one aspect...
I do not agree with a ban on Expat F/O s working in India .. Why ?

1. DGCA should have made a clear game plan before letting the Expats work as F/Os in India. (They dont and never have one !)

2.By letting Expats into India they should given them a clear time frame of work and when they are expected to leave the country.

3. Instead of doing anything above .. DGCA suddenly comes up with a blanket ban on F/O s and this puts the future of so many pilots in a question mark ? Afterall I am a pilot too and how can i let injustice happen to another fellow pilot.

4. I can hear my regional buddies raise their voice in Opposition against me .. But wait how did we become Pilots in the first place ..
Had there been a similar ban on Indian Students from flying in Countries like United States then .. by now we guys would have been SPL Holder with 7 hours on the logbook (2 real..rest Indian Style) .

5. Why there exists so many pilots with out jobs in India.. ?

A. Hype in Press and Media.

B.DGCA Stupidity..- None of the DGCA questions for CPL Conversion exams stand irrelevant in today's aviation. If they are really important.. then how come Expat F/O s and Skippers are able to succesfully fly the planes in the same Air space and routes with out Writing those exams ? If DGCA says its trying to screen candidates then its BS. Becoz there are the HR people in Airline who are paid for it !

There are a lot of people in India who are against DGCA but what can be done ?

Nothing..
(Plz Note:- I am flying the Be-200s out of Dubai ! So i
have just escaped from being a Victim of DGCA)

Cheers,
Jet Air:ok:

botaxgendeng
30th May 2008, 06:17
thats why I never apply:} keep out of the trouble:=

ghora86286
30th May 2008, 07:55
The DGCA has done that for a reason. Even good trained pilots from the best pilot schools dont get jobs.
They spent huge amounts of money. Although I do agree that the DGCA should have made good plan before hiring expats.

jet_air
30th May 2008, 11:46
So can u name these good pilot schools..

Cheers,

bad_attitude
30th May 2008, 14:34
good post mate! :ok::cool:

Canuck15
31st May 2008, 05:25
few things I want to ask jetair

first of all what country has ever protected interests of its cpl holders ...

you like all of will have to work your ass off flying some piston twin somewhere to get some experience behinde you ...

the problem is that every one in india with a bare CPL wants to fly a nice shiny jet without having to go thru the proper experience ..

we all had to deal with the dgca ...they will not change ....so rather then cussing i suggest you you go to a place that flies a king air and they may be able to get you on your way to a great career in aviation ....

flightknight
31st May 2008, 05:37
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Pilots_with_foreign_radio_licences_risk_being_grounded/articleshow/2823867.cms :ugh:

Metro man
31st May 2008, 06:38
The expats are only there because there aren't enough experienced local pilots available right now. If and when the local system is producing enough suitable material there will be no need for the expats and they can be moved on.

If you had 2000hrs total with 1000 on type and couldn't get a job I would sympathise. At the moment you sound as if you have very little experience, how would you like to be paired up with a brand new captain in a difficult situation where he is relying on your support and you don't really know what you are doing ?

The 10 000hr expat captain is in a much better position to teach an inexperienced f/o than a 3000hr local one.

The 3000hr local captain is better off with a 2000hr f/o than a 200hr one.

As experience is gained India will gradually be able to reduce dependence on expats, in the meantime learn what you can from them.

Good luck with the job in Dubai, after a couple of years you will have dealt with a few problems, seen some varied weather conditions, possibly scared yourself and have a much better idea of what it's all about. You will then be much more use the Indian aviation industry.

jet_air
31st May 2008, 09:33
Let me make my stand very clear..
1. I am not against EXPATS working in India infact i wish Indian cockpits to be Multi Regional but I am against the principles of DGCA, an organisation which lacks proper planning and coordination.

2. I am prepared to fly even 152s..but luckily i had been flying the Be-200s and Be-300s for some time now and I just am being upgraded to B 737 NGs.

3. Though I am an Indian, i actually have got nothing to do with DGCA since I am not flying out if India but I am just bringing out the Harsh Reality of the BIG AVIATION BOOM of this country !

4. Some one here said Low Hour Indian CPL pilots only want to fly the big metals.. and to him I say in India all you have is shiny big metals and absolutely no other prospect ! Indian has never seen an General Aviation growth .. unless you are a multi billionaire you can never even own and maintain a CESSNA in India .. Why is this Situation ? ---> DGCA and its policies.

All i wish is that DGCA change its policies and make it more practical and Aviation Growth Friendly.. This is the only way can this country ever see a real growth in all aspects...

And for people who think i am complaining--- Plz i have absolutely no reason to complain coz DGCA has got nothing to do with me. But i am a well wisher of 1000s of pilots future in India. Because had these pilots been job less in some other country say like USA they could have become instructors or atleast crop dusters but in India all we have is a limited shiny big metals.

PLZ NOTE :- Most of these young kids have gone to do their flight training by mortaging their houses and selling everything they have got for chasing their passion and now its DGCA's responsibility to think and act responsibly or (god forbid) this would put an end to the future of these kids dreams and sometimes lives...

Cheers,

fullforward
31st May 2008, 18:33
Hei, Jetair, you don't need to "shout" like this!
Ease, man!
We all are able to read the fine print...:confused:

You wrote:

"PLZ NOTE :- Most of these young kids have gone to do their flight training by mortaging their houses and selling everything they have got for chasing their passion and now its DGCA's responsibility to think and act responsibly or (god forbid) this would put an end to the future of these kids dreams and sometimes lives..."

You seems to have a completely wrong view what's a career in Aviation!
NOBODY warranted this guys they will have a career progression by placing their money/assets/dreams on basic training! Unfortunately, DGCA has NOTHING to do were people place their own money. It's like I spend a lot of cash on an expensive Engineering graduation and request the goverment find a job for me. Market forces, as ever, will dictate the course of things. And unfortunately, Aviation main asset is EXPERIENCE. So it's very hard for the youngsters, it was for all of us, everywere in the world.
Otherwise, is making the headlines with smoking debris and human remains. Aviation is a very serious business.
Do not rush, be patient, wait, learn.

fullforward
31st May 2008, 18:47
I've seen a lot of bad comments over DGCA, but I noticed, as well, that despite the enourmous Indian civil aviation growing, there were no any significant acident so far. Safety is in a very good shape.
Just a thought.

Glorified Donkey
31st May 2008, 18:54
Its just a hype. The economy is alittle stronger now then in the past and they made up their own "boom" Its the media's fault for brainwashing people to believe anyone who completes their training will have a job waiting for them, right seat in a big jet. India has a high density airspace, lots of airports and flights in and out. They dont need 250hr wonders, they need experience. I remember reading an article last summer about how some will be upgraded to CRJs and Airbus captains before they even hit 2500hrs. Are you serious? Its just a big media hype until there are a few accidents then they will be calling back all the expats. As for safety right now, its safe because you got experience on the deck. Expat crews or a experienced expat captain that I'm sure is baby sitting his FO.

They hype was so big 2 years ago that I remember hearing that india sent some pilots to Bombardier to do type ratings on the CRJ and they showed up without multi ratings and multi-ifr, so bombardier sent them back. what a joke. Believe in the hype and ull get screwed

fullforward
31st May 2008, 19:05
See my edited post above.

Glorified Donkey
31st May 2008, 19:08
i like how you changed it to no "significant accidents so far"

alouette3
31st May 2008, 19:42
Fullforward:

No significant accidents: because they are safe or just plain lucky????:confused:
Alt3.

Glorified Donkey
31st May 2008, 19:58
we'll find out after 2010 :}

Sky Dancer
17th Jun 2008, 17:43
Hi,
I don't agree with much of your posts as many of the expat FOs dont even have a type rating and pay for one to get the job in India.Whats more their so called 1000 hrs of experience is doubtful as many of them dont really exhibit that kind of experience on the job...but yes the DGCA has really made a mess of things ..but they are not the only ones...the aviation ministry et al...but the biggest culprit...CORRUPTION....as an example...I just heard that you can buy your pass mark in the DGCA CPL exam....it's a bit high but when the results are out YOU PASS....now thats the actual state of affairs...hope the Civil Aviation ministry snoop man is reading this post...it's high time they do something about this....bad enough to have many unemployed pilots..worse still to have unemployed unsafe pilots....

rdr
18th Jun 2008, 06:45
Jet Air and Sky Dancer, it comes as a relief to me to see that there are views such as yours in the Indian aviation scene.
You both exhibit a much bigger perspective of aviation instead of a narrow "what can i get out of it for me, myself and I."

If i may add that Indian Aviation is a long term affair. It needs careful and deft nurturing, esp in the current climate. Success comes after 20 years or so, not a monthly about face on policies.

( to the contrary of wonders like shuchim and ghora...whatever his number is)