PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to be an engineer ?

Tex®
29th May 2008, 20:50
I hold a marketing and advertising degree and for me the road seems to begin in the worst way : numbers, numbers and formulas all the way....:sad:
Have recently begun the ATPL theory course and immediately a straight question comes to my mind : do I need to be an engineer or a "numbers freak" in order to succeed and complete the course ? How many of you guys have an engineer background studies or anyway followed a scientific path as secondary school ? Do you feel that having confidence with numbers help significantly the study path ?

Whirlygig
29th May 2008, 20:56
A difficult question to answer!! I have a degree in Theoretical Physics and, although I got it 20 years ago, much of the concepts came back to me and many of the formulae were already ingrained! Yes, I'm sure it helped.

However, I couldn't possibly say whether I would have been actually disadvantaged if I didn't have a scientific background. Other aspects of the subject I found difficult; some of the Nav, and the AGK stuff with engines and mechanical bits!!!

Cheers

Whirls

bajadj
29th May 2008, 21:05
Tex - I feel your pain!! it's not just the numbers and theories...it's the sheer irrelevence of most of it as well. Sadly it's a case of just head down and get on with it.

The strangest thing is, after all the huffing and puffing it ends up coming down to how many of the questions from the bristol q bank you can remember in one go.

The FAA have got it right in my view by cutting out the crap, rather than making it difficult just for difficults sake.

ChocksAwayUK
29th May 2008, 21:18
There's nothing beyond GCSE maths or physics required in becoming a pilot or passing ATPLs. I was a sloppy psychology graduate in a media career and I had no trouble with any ATPL stuff. You certainly don't need to be an engineering boffin to be a pilot.

And also I'll stand by bajadj's middle paragraph for truth.

Tex®
29th May 2008, 21:21
bajadi - I completely agree with you...:sad:
As a JAA pilot wannabe I'm struggling with all of it. And, YES, as a 34 yrs old kiddo, already with a degree in my backpack I know where all of this calculations will end up in a real pilot life...:ugh:
Yes, as you say (I 100% agree), FAA training do it the right way, concentrating most on what really makes the pilot's day...

ChocksawayUK - you give me good news...I begin to feel myself as not to be the one and only...but, hey, all that useless numbers :yuk:...

v6g
29th May 2008, 21:35
Understanding the compound interest formula is probably the most important thing you need to know.

corsair
30th May 2008, 11:33
No you don't. In truth the maths etc is not that difficult. If I passed anyone can. It just took a bit more persistence on my part.

Beside if it was really tough. Only nerds would become pilots and as you know most of us are cool clean, square jawed types, good at sports and popular with girls. That includes female pilots too.:)