View Full Version : US About test an anti ICBM L@ser

scudpilot
29th May 2008, 18:52
Looks like the US has a "laser (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/29/abl_laser_jumbo_fuel_leak_tests_begin/)" gun!

Peter Fanelli
29th May 2008, 23:19
Let's hope it's a live missile, pointed at the middle east, and the laser fails.

tony draper
29th May 2008, 23:37
They did this years ago,to be fair the missile was sitting on the ground a half a mile away and prolly didn't have any gunpowder in it at the time, but when they zapped it up it blew, later it was revealed it had some explosive that detonated when the laser hit it was strapped to its side and that was regarded as cheating a bit,never mind, they prolly got another ten billion off Ronny to continue their research.
:rolleyes:

Dan D'air
30th May 2008, 00:04
Are they going to call it the Allan Parsons Project?

BlueWolf
30th May 2008, 03:32
Cracking good stuff. I say good on Uncle Sam. We'll teach those damned fuzzy-wuzzies not to try and fight back. Ha! :ok:

arcniz
30th May 2008, 06:47
later it was revealed it had some explosive that detonated when the laser hit it was strapped to its side and that was regarded as cheating a bit,never mind, they prolly got another ten billion off Ronny to continue their research.

Tony -- FWIW, the received wisdom is that the US "Star Wars" program of the 80's was all theatre - more illusion than fact from start to finish. Even so, the whole shebang was quite expensive and did put on some dramatic demonstrations. Some of the exotic weapons capabilities were real and functional, but one must guess as to which were and which weren't.

The real effect of Star Wars, if one believes the politicians, was to convince the Soviets that they would have to maintain a comparable or higher level of investment on weapons in order to maintain "parity". The tab for matching got to be so high that it really strained and nearly bankrupted the Soviet economy, paving the way for the 90's redefinition of the political system, economy, and relationships among Russia's neighbors. Not bad for a bit of Hollywood gimmickry, eh?

(Who knows the whole story for sure? I saw, up close and working, some of the weapons systems created for SW & can certify the folks involved in that corner of the program were not just fooling around, not at all.)

airship
30th May 2008, 17:38
I take everything 'grandly announced' by higher-ups in the USA with a large dose of salts these days. For example, I give you the head of the CIA in this BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7427176.stm) who claims: ...al-Qaeda is essentially defeated in Iraq and Saudi Arabia, and on the defensive elsewhere. Before the US (and coalition forces) invaded Iraq in 2003, Al-Qaeda didn't even exist in Iraq. So far as Saudi Arabia is concerned (need I remind everyone that apparently the majority of the 9/11 terrorists hailed from that place?), I've seen few press reports anywhere of any wide-spread confiscation of assets belonging to Saudis either in that country or Internationally, that actually finance Mr. Bin Laden and his Al-Qaeda organisation. However, Al-Qaeda must surely be 'on the defensive'. 'How else could their position be more accurately portrayed?' In the face of what must be rapidly approaching the dispense of US$1 trillion in the years between 9/11 and today, where it would appear everyone but Mr. Bin Laden had been submitted to rough justice. That would include all the Iraqi and Afghani civilians who'd also lost their lives in the intervening years. Strange and somewhat ominous that noone (not even the Iraqi or Afghan governments, US military or whatever) can submit any seriously compiled and trustworthy statistics... :confused:

Oooops, or have I just misinterpreted the average multi-billion dollar multinationals' (in this case Boeing) press campaign (and the control they inordinately exert in the so-called 'free media' worldwide) as resembling anything more serious than further (in)justification for continued governmental expenditure on their mostly ill-thought out or at least, ineffectual armaments programmes, conceived together with the generals, admirals and other air force bods who look forward to highly-rewarding jobs in the private-sector after officially retiring...?! :uhoh:

G-CPTN
30th May 2008, 17:47
has now been fitted inside the back half of the 747 cargo plane which will carry it. You mean it doesn't fit into a briefcase?
How is work on the wristwatch version coming along?

BenThere
30th May 2008, 18:01
or have I just misinterpreted ...?

I think that's the case, Airship. From the gitgo.

Suicidal Jihadis will go wherever the battle is. That's why Chechnian mujas turn up in Pakistan; Algerians in Baghdad; Uzbeks in Somalia, etc. To me it's a salient theme that we'll be fighting them somewhere, why not somewhere else but home?

Do you get it, now?

brickhistory
30th May 2008, 18:06
Very dark, twisted world you live in, airship. Is there anything/anywhere that isn't run by conspiracy or a select group of anointed?

Dang, you'd think if they can keep Roswell a secret for all this time, that an all-powerful group could ixnay on the publicit-ay.............

By the way, the ABL is, like most government and aviation programs, way over schedule and way over budget. But, it is phenomenal technology and even if it's a limited-use weapon, it's one of those in the 'gonna look awfully silly that we didn't have it' if some pint-sized power decides to dance with the big boys.

airship
30th May 2008, 18:19
Long time no see BenThere?! (It must be because I'm living in a very dark and/or twisted place according to brick). Anyway, glad to see you here again :ok:
To me it's a salient theme that we'll be fighting them somewhere, why not somewhere else but home? One might also suggest that they (Al-Qaeda) have arrived at the same conclusion. That it is far better (there are fewer complications) when one wages war on one's adveraries and these wars occur in places where the occupants of these lands have very little to do with it all...?! :p

brickhistory
30th May 2008, 18:26
saskatoon, to what 'test firing and bringing down an airliner' do you refer?

If you are referring to the USS Vincennes, it wasn't a test firing.

Fully operational weapon system.

Nice try to get a cheap shot in, but not having a basic grasp of the facts dilutes it somewhat.

arcniz
30th May 2008, 18:29
even if it's a limited-use weapon, it's one of those in the 'gonna look awfully silly that we didn't have it' if some pint-sized power decides to dance with the big boys

... and that's really the nut of the global warfare problem for the next few centuries... distributed bellicosity.

Freelance and even commercial (narcoterroristas, anyone?) trouble-makers will be able to make and deliver their own private-label WMD with little warning and a minuscule countermeasures target profile. At least some of these will be able to leave substantial flat, brown, glowing or dead spots in the centres of major cities, making urban life in general less attractive than it was in the good old (medieval) days when mountaintop redoubts and massive stone walls were useful defences.

Countering this kind of Goldfinger stuff ain't easy.

Probably the US should get entirely out of the military business & concentrate on search engines & making oil from prairie grass. Let the folks in Europe and Africa and South America and Southwest Asia do their own thing without any meddling whatsoever from the amis. That would be good, eh Airship?

brickhistory
30th May 2008, 18:45
saskatoon, I stand corrected to the nut case example, thank you.

Otherwise, I'd have to bring up the new ownership of a couple of HM's inflatables. Understand you got some killer ipods for them, though.......

heli_port
30th May 2008, 18:46
interesting stuff..

tony draper
30th May 2008, 18:48
Just wait until we perfect the Beard Seeker Missile.:E

arcniz
30th May 2008, 18:54
Just wait until we perfect the Beard Seeker Missile.

With Bayesian classifiers to distinguish yer van Dyke from a Goatee, and yer full Osama from a ewe's butt.

airship
30th May 2008, 19:09
That would be good, eh Airship? Let's just say that we've tried everything else without much success over several decades. So let's give the alternative a year or two instead. Seriously, could it get any worse...?! :ugh:

West Coast
30th May 2008, 19:15
How is work on the wristwatch version coming along?

Gonna have to sub that out to the Japanese.

brickhistory
30th May 2008, 19:28
Seriously, could it get any worse...?!

Kidding, right?

Otherwise, let me know how your 'armaments holiday' works out. Probably the same as the last time, I'm guessing.

A year or two when one lives in the 12th century as the 'charming bad guys' do is nothing to endure.

airship
30th May 2008, 19:36
brick, you use the 'back to the 12th century' argument as readily as Al-Qaeda operatives use all available modern means and materials when constructing their IEDs in Iraq apparently...

Do you see any quandary...?! :(

30th May 2008, 19:41
Just wait until we perfect the Beard Seeker Missile

Oh well, looks like ZZ Top will be a solo act then.
( Unless the "beard seeker" works on names as well)

brickhistory
30th May 2008, 20:32
airship, my quandary is how do we (Western civilization collectively) protect ourselves from those with a stated aim of bringing the world back to the 12th century - while they use modern technology - while keeping the freedoms and liberties that make us so.

If they (the 12th century fan club) can get us to adopt draconian measures and thus ruin those precious liberties and freedoms in the name of security, then they've accomplished a major part of their goal.

If we don't adopt stricter security measures, things that don't normally go 'boom,' do.

edited to add: I notice you didn't answer my question: Do you, airship, really believe that everything that occurs in the modern world is somehow the result of a nefarious conspiracy and/or a select group runs the world?