PDA

View Full Version : Breitling Emergency- Problem with 121.5

debasser
29th May 2008, 17:26
Does anyone know the issues with the changes due next year regarding 121.5mhz. My understanding is that the introduction of 406 means that there will be implications for those using ELT's etc I am also chatting with Breitling about my watch and its usefulness post Feb 09. They insist it will not change however I believe it will.
Any info or thoughts would be welcomed
Cheers

icemanalgeria
29th May 2008, 17:31
Yes I have the same problem, I have not been able to get a good answer.

I have also been told it will continue to work, I guess it's going to be an expensive service this year.:{

debasser
29th May 2008, 20:52
This is the reponse I got from Breitling Switzerland which is inaccurate

The Emergency watch is not a distress beacon and does not trigger an alarmfollowing a rescue mission. It is not designed to be captured by thesatellite system, only the 406 MHZ distress beacon is surely captured byCOSPAS-SARSAT - this has been like this for a number of years (false alarmsand coverage of frequency). The watch helps rescue teams (who continue to operate on 121.5 MHZ) tolocalize a person in distress after a rescue mission has been called for.It was never stated that the purpose of the watch is to be detected by anyplane flying above you whilst you have your antenna pulled and are waitingfor help. This was just one of the possibilities described on how a distresssituation might be detected and how help may be called. The watch is acomplementary life-saving device. Our understanding is that all planes should have a distress beacon on boardwhich operates on 406 MHZ, because this signal will definitely be capturedby COSPAS-SARSAT. So there is no further need that other planes detect youvia 121.5 MHZ if COSPAS-SARSAT does via 406 MHZ. This is what is describedin our hand book. This is why we say that our Emergency watch is acomplementary life-saving device.

KNIEVEL77
27th Feb 2012, 22:22
Does anyone have any update on this topic?

I'm looking to buy another Emergency but a few people tell me is is virtually useless other than for telling the time due to the frequency change to 406 Mhz hence Breitling discontinuing the model.

wub
28th Feb 2012, 16:00
Have a read of this:

http://www.breitling.com/modeles/pdf/BR9934-InfoEmergency_210x148_en.pdf

KNIEVEL77
28th Feb 2012, 19:20
Thanks Wub.
That info was printed quite a number of years ago (in fact I have that very card) but I was just wondering if there has been any movement since then.
I have contacted Breitling but no reply so far.
Thanks again.

KNIEVEL77
13th Mar 2012, 20:56
I notice from reading various reports that the sale of any 121.5Mhz transmitters is now prohibited in the USA.

Perhaps that is why there are so many cheap Breitling Emergency's over there!

KNIEVEL77
13th Jun 2013, 11:21
Hi Guys,
Now that the new Breitling Emergency is out I quite fancy another old style Emergency if anyone knows of a one for sale with the coral/orange dial.