PDA

View Full Version : Old Sarum Flying Club- Gone????

watchmysix
29th May 2008, 16:40
Old Sarum Flying Club

Say again s l o w l y
29th May 2008, 16:44
I hope not.
I know they'd had some trouble with their landlords last year, but it seemed to be going alright when I last visited.

josher
29th May 2008, 17:28
the flying club is in receivership - the airfield is operating normally still got grass/fuel/ food /historic buildings/some interesting a/c and generally a nice place to visit.

Now need your support. Hopefully the club will rise from the ashes. By the end of the day the microlight side already had

will fly for food 06
29th May 2008, 18:18
I just heard. I hope they can sort somthing out. The only place where i could hire a twin for £195 wet!

effortless
29th May 2008, 18:24
Oh dear, I have only just come to terms with it going civvy. I spent many happy months there playing with the Pongoes.:{

Jetscream 32
29th May 2008, 18:33
jeeez - i was sat outside on the benches having a cup of tea at 2pm..... nothing seemed untoward then.....???

Come on lets get together and very quickly get things back on track - i can be their tomorrow..!! can anybody else?

PM if interested in trying to salvage it.... many ways to skin the cat and and the faster we can do the due diligence the better......

:ok:

Monocock
29th May 2008, 18:55
Come on lets get together and very quickly get things back on track - i can be their tomorrow..!! can anybody else?

What are you suggesting? Without sounding funny, 36 rounds of Eccles cakes and Earl Grey isn't going to help them out much.

Their issues will be ones of prolonged pressure created from the recent take-over by a new company as landlord and the significant increase in costs incurred on the back of that. This, compounded by 18 crap months of weather and no doubt a little bit of reluctance of new PPL start-ups will no doubt have been the main catalyst to this news.

It's sad indeed. I learned to fly there in 1989 and have fond memories. Sadly however, when there are houses planned on the horizon, there 'aint much that can be done unless you have very good knowledge of how to bust through certain planning procedures.

I am aware that other tenants nearby (same new landlord) are under pressure to move out to make way for a few five-bedders.

P.S Watchmysix - interesting that you have registered purely to make your post. Not an employee of a certain property company are we?:rolleyes:

JP1
29th May 2008, 19:08
That is very sad indeed if it is true.

I did my PPL on the Bulldog their last year (and continue to fly there) and even though it is a 2 hour round trip to the airfield it was worth the effort.

I really hope that flying activities continue in some form.

The site has heritage status so cannot become a housing estate.

Jetscream 32
29th May 2008, 19:30
monocock, thanks for the vote of confidence....... as someone that has run airfields and one of the substantial flying clubs in the UK, it will be interesting to hear from the horses mouth what the deal is.....

What exactly does OSFC own? what exactly are its overheads, where is its prime source of income?? - owning a bunch of aeroplanes and relying on PPL's has long gone in history, however with a strong club membership, some creative thinking that also is sympathetic to the landlords vision but is economically sound is something im actually quite well versed at......

Meeting with the horses mouth - laying it all on the table and seeing what opportunities are there to keep flying in whatever format that is and keeping the airfield open for visitors and food etc is imperative........

Like i said - many ways to skin a cat... sure there will be change.... but the results of no-one making any effort at all will result in yet more dwindling aviation assets to be enjoyed by our children...... and my 5 year old is a flying looney....

josher
29th May 2008, 21:16
Jetscream OSFC doesn't seem to own much at all.
A visit to GINFO will show that club a/c are apparently not owned by the club. When Blanefield took over running of the a'field they also took hangarage, fuel and restaurant and things in that area have improved since in my view
OSFC ran down maintenance on the afield and last person went in march from which point all was done at or by Bournemouth - work the economics of tht one out!!!!
So OSFC looks like a flying school with no a/c, engineering support on another [expensive] airfield 25 miles away and club with a declining membership due to uncertainty of future and little atmosphere. Not a recipe for a rosy future

Having said that where is the competition in the catchment area. Compton too remote. Thruxton? don't think so. It's a great airfield now a conservation area so development very constrained and must represent an opportunity for someone

Lembrado
29th May 2008, 21:17
Very sad if true!

I was an instructor there in 2003/4. Fantastic place, full of wonderful people.

Best club in the country by far.

L.

HappyFran
29th May 2008, 21:29
Really nice bunch of staff / Instructors very sad.:{:{

Fly there most weekends...including this Sat :confused::confused::confused:

Hope they can recover from ashes.:ouch:..prefarable in next 36 hours ! :oh:

Starchild42
29th May 2008, 23:03
There is nothing wrong with the airfield.

Last year I held a share in SARM and I think we all paid £95 odd to OSFC for landing fees, use of computers etc.

Once Blainfield took back the running of the airfield I think a lot of owners, sharers did not renew their memberships for 08/09 as OSFC had virtually nothing to offer owners / sharers so I guess that may have contributed to a larger hole in finances.

watchmysix
29th May 2008, 23:32
Not even close Monocock - pilot not property tycoon. Besides my account is ages old, well over a week.

italianjon
30th May 2008, 10:50
So, let me get this straight... The UK is in the middle of a housing price recession... the houses currently on the market aren't selling... Prices are falling all over the place... yet someone says the UK needs more housing in the form of estates on top of Airfields...

Why don't councils clear the current stocks of houses first; before granting permission for airfields to be build over. Maybe then GA may be a little more viable as potential short term value of green fields will drop!

No matter how long I live here - I never think I'll ever work the UK out!!!

Mike Cross
30th May 2008, 11:31
The planning application was turned down. The land is worth infinitely more with consent for houses on it. You don't see property companies divesting themselves of their land banks, no matter how bad the housing market is at this moment in time. Some sites already under devolopment have had work halted on them because it doesn't make sense to complete them and sell them into a slack market. If all that's been done is infrastructure (roads, drains, foundations) it will just sit there like that until market conditions improve and it's worth continuing the development.

The danger with OS is that Blanefield go back to the planners with the argument that there is no demand for an airfield, the flying club has ceased trading and no other operator wants to take it on. It's not financially viable to continue to operate it as an aerodrome so rather than allow it to become derelict can they build a local amenity like a golf course or a sports centre paid for out of the profits that they would get if they were allowed to put housing on the remainder? Neither the planners nor the locals are gullible enough to swallow that at face value at the moment but who can say what might happen in a few years?

Contacttower
30th May 2008, 11:56
This seems to have come completely out of the blue; I am shocked and saddened at this news.

Monocock
30th May 2008, 14:05
The danger with OS is that Blanefield go back to the planners with the argument that there is no demand for an airfield, the flying club has ceased trading and no other operator wants to take it on. It's not financially viable to continue to operate it as an aerodrome so rather than allow it to become derelict can they build a local amenity like a golf course or a sports centre paid for out of the profits that they would get if they were allowed to put housing on the remainder? Neither the planners nor the locals are gullible enough to swallow that at face value at the moment but who can say what might happen in a few years?

Mike has it bang on the nose. Added to which, for the timebeing the airfield owners will no doubt make sure they are seen as knights in shining armour for putting an end to those dreadful people flying over the local's houses all day long at weekends.

Tony Hirst
30th May 2008, 18:17
Terrible news. I hope that something can be sorted out. OSFC was in my experience a unique organisation and an example of how club flying can be made fun and challenging for all experience levels.

With regards to house building, Old Sarum Airfield has Conservation Area Status because it was considered to be of considerable value in terms of cultural heritage, due partly to being in constant use as an airfield since 1917. The hangars are also listed buildings. Given this protected status I don't see how anybody can plan to build houses on it. Anyway, aren't the houses being built across the road?

Jetscream 32
30th May 2008, 19:29
no idea where this house thing comes from - everybody that watched Robs Lam depart in the Spitfire @ Sarum today would have more chance of each going solo in it than houses being built on the airfield..... ie no chance.....! well not while most people on this forum are still breathing anyway.....

There were a few huddled groups at the airfield today planning on turning it around including myself....... however after a 40 minute call to the receiver - there is almost nil chance or reason to salvage OSFC - as the liability's incurred are more than anyone could ever make out of flying training... they exceed £50,000 by all accounts and could be twice that amount......

Blanefield have a fully licensed airfield, a nice little cafe, the hangars and a queue of other flying clubs wanting prime position on the airfield - so its just a case of wait a fortnight and see who turns up with some leased aircraft and a few instructors etc....... or the club instructors could alsways do it themselves - however they then need to rent in new aircraft etc.....

I feel very, very sorry for the poor students who had placed tens of thousands on account in anticipation of cheaper flying and the dream of a PPL only to be shafted royally by crap management who have fleeced innocent people..... This practice of taking money on account into flying clubs and it just going inot the pot with the normal operating cash flow account MUST be stopped.

A separate client escrow account must be a requirement and i would be keen to draw up a voluntary code of practise for flying schools that are all named and would use this for deposit money that can only be drawn down after landing etc... protecting the student and clearly demonstrating who can remain in business through effective commercial management and service....

Shoot me down...............!:cool:

Contacttower
30th May 2008, 19:58
I feel very, very sorry for the poor students who had placed tens of thousands on account in anticipation of cheaper flying and the dream of a PPL only to be shafted royally by crap management who have fleeced innocent people..... This practice of taking money on account into flying clubs and it just going inot the pot with the normal operating cash flow account MUST be stopped.

I could not agree more; I at one point had a lot of money in my OSFC account - luckily not much at the moment - but to be honest I always thought "this could never happen to Old Sarum". :sad:

HappyFran
30th May 2008, 20:00
Also down at Old Sarum today,
Frequent Flyer deposit disappeared :(
Down in Bournemouth they have a seperate client account...hopefully that is safe :ooh:

Escrow gets my vote.

Oh well onto the credit card company to see how they squeem and weedle there way out of there liability :eek:

frontlefthamster
30th May 2008, 20:21

A good trawl here might reveal similar things from over a decade ago at Leavesden (Hi, Simon... It'll catch up with you in the end!), and very nearby at Blackbushe (Tony, how's life?).

caveat emptor (trademark of UK PLC)

Cusco
30th May 2008, 20:31
Is Geoff Prout still there?

Cusco.

Contacttower
30th May 2008, 20:49
Is Geoff Prout still there?

He was there the last time I was at Old Sarum about three weeks ago.

Say again s l o w l y
30th May 2008, 21:19

One of my "rules" is that as soon as a club starts to offer big discounts for putting money into an account with them, the place is in trouble.

NEVER, EVER pay upfront and if you do, do it via credit card so that it is them doing the chasing not you!

Losing Old Sarum FC is a real shame, but hopefully a new and even better venture can take over.

JP1
30th May 2008, 21:43
There is also the issue of taking membership payment and 5~6 weeks later declaring insolvency. The situation was clearly known a few weeks back.

If all members renewed (600 approx so the club states) that's nearly £60k. Individually it's a small amount but collectively it is very different.

Anyway I hope the paid members of staff get what is owed and that they find suitable employment quickly.

Contacttower
30th May 2008, 21:43
as the liability's incurred are more than anyone could ever make out of flying training... they exceed £50,000 by all accounts and could be twice that amount......

So I suppose that means all the planes will have to be sold off?

JP1
30th May 2008, 21:51
Are any actual aircraft owned by OSFC. The ones I flew weren't.

The owners(s) form a limited company and lease the aircraft to OSFC

Contacttower
30th May 2008, 21:56
Are any actual aircraft owned by OSFC. The ones I flew weren't.

I was under the impression that it varied from aircraft to aircraft but most of them are registered in the name of HAIMOSS LTD; don't know how that impacts on the situation though.

Jetscream 32
30th May 2008, 22:15
having spoken to the liquidator at length - he is not instructed to act on behalf of the parent company or any other company vehicle owned by the management of OSFC, however depending on the collective desire of the incumbents who have lost so much in deposits for flying etc there is a collective judgement that can be taken against Leslie and co in that they were issuing cheques a fortnight ago that bounced and yet still taking money in advance off of people yesterday - which when you knowing trade insolvently the directors can be become personally liable for - now bearing in mind she owns the aircraft albeit through a different company then a stat demand could i think be issued for the return of deposits as these were an advance to the company for services never supplied...

bottom line is OSFC has no assets, chatels and is not worth a light....in financial terms

IO540
31st May 2008, 06:25
There is also the issue of taking membership payment and 5~6 weeks later declaring insolvency. The situation was clearly known a few weeks back.

The Director can be personally liable in that kind of situation.

DBo
31st May 2008, 07:46
Jetscream

Is there any chance you could PM me with the name and contact details fof the liquidator - nobody is answering the phone at OS

My wife has completed her PPL training and was booked to take her skills test on Sunday. We're keen to retrieve her training records and record of exam passes from the Liquidator.

Thanks

Dave

Mike Cross
31st May 2008, 08:45

The best way of stopping it would be for people to be more sensible with their money. I take it you wouldn't be happy to place "tens of thousands on account" with any other trader, why should you feel it sensible to do it with a flying school? At the end of the day the motivation is self interest. "I'll give you a discount if you pay up front" should ring alarm bells but all too often people allow greed to cloud their judgement. Harsh perhaps, but true nonetheless.

hugh flung_dung
31st May 2008, 10:20
I am one of the more "senior" self-employed instructors that was with OSFC, having been there for more than 12 years.

I have been assured that all student records are secure and can confirm that records of examination passes are also secure.
I am told that nothing that might be regarded as an OSFC/Megastream "asset" (including student records) can be touched until the legal wheels have turned.
There are a large number of rumours floating around, to the best of my knowledge these are generally incorrect.
I am optimistic that flying training and aircraft hire will soon return to Old Sarum airfield.
Old Sarum airfield continues unchanged. It's still a great place to visit, and to buy fuel for both your aircraft and your stomache. For a short time the circuit will be slightly less busy than usual so why not take advantage of the hiatus and pay John, Angus and the staff a visit.Please don't ask about what went wrong, money issues, or the legal processes because I don't have any information so won't be able to reply. Also, I respectfully suggest that speculation about the collapse is going to be about as useful as speculating about the causes of an accident before the AAIB report is available.

Finally, if anyone has a short term need for a part-time instructor and examiner for MEPL, SEPL, aerobatics, advanced handling, night, IMC or tailwheel ... ;)

HFD

IO540
31st May 2008, 10:42
I am told that nothing that might be regarded as an OSFC/Megastream "asset" (including student records) can be touched until the legal wheels have turned.

[my emphasis]

Surely this is totally wrong, unless the student has done the relevant training and ground exams and not paid for it, which is practically unheard of in the PPL training business.

It's not illegal in the sense that the police won't get involved in civil matters but student records are not as asset of the school.

Jetscream 32
31st May 2008, 11:55
osfc is the company in difficulty not megastream - mega cannot be legally touched.... unless you issue a stat demand to the director of said company then assets become part of the estate......

why on earth would the SRC's be removed from the premise's if there was no intent to reconvene at an airfield slightly west of Sarum? contact the studes who did not have money on account and then say...." mmm sorry about that everyone... but we are over here now and have your record cards if you would like to continue training with us over here you can start from where you left off? - oh you dont want to learn with us anymore....!im sorry im not sure where your SRC is -- suggest you go to the local flying club nearest you undertake an assesment flight with a FI and sign an affidavit as to your lessons versus your logbook and carry on from there.....!!!

Yes HFD flying training will recommence that is for sure, instructors can instruct anywhere, same aircraft? maybe!! - doubt it... all people that put money on account given credit note to the value or refund....... mmmm pigs flying.... moon!! - doubt it.....

Lots of people in business make mistakes - knowingly fraudulently allowing people to pay for services you have no way of ever supplying is DISGUSTING!!! and harmful to the industry at time when we need good news not CRAP like this.....! running up bills in excess of 20k for fuel issue cheques that then bounce is trading insolvently and also accountable.......

Make an example thats what i say....! maybe then people will think twice about the way they conduct their flying training business and ethics

Say again s l o w l y
31st May 2008, 11:58
Student records have nothing to do with the administrators, they are the resonsibility of whoever was the custodian of the records.

They are not ASSETS of any description and if a student wants to transfer their records in the next day, then it is down to who ever was in charge (usually the CFI) to get them sent off to the new school with no delay.

The police might not be interested, but the chaps in the belgrano certainly will be.

aviate1138
31st May 2008, 12:13
This was in an EGLS hangar recently......... sigh.... :)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/aviate1138/Picture2.jpg

UKGA source Wed 28th May 08

BRL
31st May 2008, 12:34
Nice, what is it?

:}

hugh flung_dung
31st May 2008, 12:51
Jetscream, some of your statements above are based on rumour. This is a difficult time for everyone (especially creditors!) and I can only refer you back to my earlier append and suggest that everyone waits for the facts to emerge.

However, I fully agree with the general advice to anyone about pre-payment, escrow accounts and using your flexible friend whenever possible.

HFD

(edited to add: I was a bit too busy yesterday to meet-up, sorry)

cadge
31st May 2008, 16:23
Please take note of what HFD has said. As a student at Old Sarum and now feeling very P................ I think his advice is worth taking. I was intending to find a new school to finish off the little I need for the skills test and was told to wait a while before going if all the students do go then any school around will get flooded and learning will become a waiting game, staying with OS and being supportive to my mind will hasten a new club to be formed and we can then all get on with learning and also get a club atmosphere back which sadly had started to go.

Rumours are flashing about about why it has happened but is just that rumours!! The writing has been on the wall for a while that the club was in trouble and for myself I kept any money in an account very low so havent lost anything but find it strange that they where still taking bookings and money right upto the last day when at least one person did know it was folding.

Hopefully from what I have heard today there will be some sort of rescue in the short term by a group of instructors for us students and instructors but at this time nothing concrete.

englishal
31st May 2008, 19:12
no idea where this house thing comes from

Planning application
Application number S/1999/2200
Blanefield Property Co - Old Sarum Airfield, Portway, Old Sarum, Salisbury

and

Blanefield Property Co Ltd v Salisbury DC [2004]

Possibly?

Hope it all pans out. What is happening to the aeroplanes that were used by OSFC (E.g. the Bulldog) ? Can they still be "rented" privately, with a suitable freelance instructor of course ;)

Starchild42
31st May 2008, 20:09
It all depends on the 'owners' of the aircraft I guess and whether Leslie is going to remove them all 'west' before they become impounded as part of a creditors dispute if it is deemed that OSFC were (at the end) allegedly trading fraudulently.

On a positive note how about everyone showing their support for the instructors and the airfield by organising an impromptu bbq?

Anyone ?

osaf
31st May 2008, 20:18
Hi to all,

If I may visit with you all and introduce myself.

I for my sins am the airfield manager at EGLS having been involved on and off since the late 80's.

There are various posts in this thread that paint a poor picture of both Old Sarum and Blanefield.

They are wrong to do so at this time. Negative thought will bring negative outcome. The airfield is open, our staff are paid, our bills are paid, and we are here to welcome your trade.

We have invested heavily in the site since taking over last year. I am unable to comment formally on the process that brought the move about however regular visitors will see that we are starting a process of repairing and replacing.

We have replaced the u/s equipment we started with and commenced erepairing the delapidated buildings. A huge amount of money will be required to repair the hangar and this has to be found from somewhere. One could ask if the costs would be so high if a rolling fix had been employed over the last fifteen years.

The events of this last few days cannot be commented on for obvious reasons save that we are likely to be the larger creditor if the OSFC situation results in insolvency. I gather the process will be started by their agents this coming week. Other posters have commented about the aircraft being owned by the club's principals other company so I need not.

We are actively in discussion with several flying bodies both established and proposed who wish to base or satellite at EGLS.

I look forward to seeing you all soon.

Airfield Manager

Oh, and yes I do work for the owners!

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jun 2008, 10:44
I'm a long way from OS nowadays but got my PPL there quite a lot of years ago, and doubt there's been a year since then when the airfield hasn't featured in my logbook at-least once.

A business has gone under - that is distressing, not least for the people who work for it who probably stand to lose far more than the customers in credit for flying. Knowing a lot of the team there, I'd be willing to bet that they fought every step of the way to stop this happening, and will be doing their best to make sure that nobody loses too badly from this. Any of us who have flown with any regularity from OS surely have no doubt about the integrity of the senior management team there.

I'd just like to say that in response to some rather accusatory posts above which personally struck me as rather premature.

G

M1900
1st Jun 2008, 13:29
Genghis,

Knowing what I know and hearing what I hear, I'd be interested if you could tell us which 'senior management team' you are referring to when you talk about 'integrity' - OSFC or Blanefield?

Genghis the Engineer
1st Jun 2008, 13:43
Old Sarum Flying Club; I don't think that many people (aviators or local non-aviators) were overly impressed by the attempt to turn the airfield into a housing estate.

G

yawningdog
1st Jun 2008, 14:37
I used to fly with OSFC regularly, but stopped last year because the aircraft (Arrows) were in such poor condition. Good management or poor management, if the product is poor no one will want to use it.

cadge
1st Jun 2008, 15:29
I think you might find that the management team and staff have changed since your day in fact there have been a lot of changes in the last year. The one thing that struck a lot of people and some of the staff was the fact that it seemed to not have had a full time leader for a while, just part timers which no buisness can tolerate for very long. Everyone has thoughts on the collapse but no doubt eventually we will know why, speculation does no good at all.:=

BounceBounceLand
1st Jun 2008, 21:08
Did my CPL there at the start of the year, fantastic place to fly from and unbeatable instruction. Does the FTO stand legally seperate from the flying club? Shame if everything has stopped, hope it rises from the ashes as others have suggested!

BBL

moonym20
1st Jun 2008, 21:21
I was hoping to overnight there tomorrow, arrive around lunch time and leave early tuseday ~ 9am, does anyone know if they still accept visitors? :ok:

M1900
1st Jun 2008, 21:47
Airfield open as normal.
Airfield and flying club now completely separate.
You will receive a warm welcome - ask for Angus.

hugh flung_dung
1st Jun 2008, 22:00
MoonyM20 and others:
As I said earlier: "Old Sarum airfield continues unchanged. It's still a great place to visit, and to buy fuel for both your aircraft and your stomach. For a short time the circuit will be slightly less busy than usual so why not take advantage of the hiatus and pay John, Angus and the staff a visit".
Try the warm filled baguettes if you visit:ok:

Ref some of the other comments: IM(NS)HO negative comments about landlord, tenant or anything else in this unfortunate affair really don't help the situation. Whatever has happened can not be changed and will be dealt with by the normal processes, it's the future that counts and at the moment that can best be protected by supporting the airfield and whatever organisations start their operations there.

HFD

(edited to have a moan about the moans)

moonym20
1st Jun 2008, 22:21
thats what i was hoping to hear chaps :ok: I look forward to my visit in that case tomorrow then

could i also ask if the runway is prone to waterlogging? i notice the weather is terrible on tuseday but i really need to be away to EGHI

thanks again :D

hugh flung_dung
1st Jun 2008, 22:48
The runway is very rarely affected by waterlogging. I've been instructing there for about 12 years and can only think of a handful of occasions when there was a problem, but give John or Angus a call if you're concerned.

HFD

Nibbler
1st Jun 2008, 22:55
OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Information and updates about the current situation at Old Sarum Airfield can be found by clicking here (http://oldsarumairfield.co.uk/)

There are a number of highly motivated multi skilled instructors with many years experience who will lead the way forward. I am sure both flying training and professional training will return to Old Sarum very soon.

HFD - you were interested in this site link :)

HappyFran
1st Jun 2008, 23:24
Anyone able to expand on what this quote from the Old Sarum Air Field site means ?

'Old Sarum Flying Club will continue to run in existing buildings in almost exactly the same way with no job losses.'

:confused::confused:

Contacttower
1st Jun 2008, 23:28
'Old Sarum Flying Club will continue to run in existing buildings in almost exactly the same way with no job losses.'

That's just referring to an old news story from when Blanefield took over the running of the airfield from the club last year.

M1900
1st Jun 2008, 23:33
Unfortunately it seems that none of the news stories on the Old Sarum site have a date tag (which they should to avoid this kind of confusion!).

The story in which the quote appears is in fact dated September last year, when a re-organisation took place and Blanefield started operating the airfield.

osaf
2nd Jun 2008, 07:13
The quote is in fact old, and as soon as fat balding yorkshireman can obtain technical help it will be made better!

Look forward to seeing you all.

PS If you call and the phones arent answered and you get a OSFC Closed message ignore it, we are working on changing that too!

Nibbler
2nd Jun 2008, 10:25
'Technical help' has now dealt with the date problem :ok:

tmmorris
2nd Jun 2008, 19:05
Will definitely make Old Sarum my next landaway. Lovely place - if you need the cash, I'll pop in for at least a landing fee and lunch!

(Assume the cafe is running as usual?)

Tim

Nibbler
2nd Jun 2008, 19:11
The cafe and all other facilities are open and running as normal.

:ok:

M1900
2nd Jun 2008, 19:22
Its not the cash thats the issue.
The point is that just because the flying club has gone belly-up, it doesn't mean that the airfield itself is affected - they were completely separate entities.
Dare I suggest that whatever flying instruction phoenix rises from this, it will be better than OSFC was during the past 9 months.

Nibbler
2nd Jun 2008, 20:29
I think it is important to point out although Blanefield is running the airfield and all the other facilities as normal there is a real need to have as many people as possible use these facilities in the interim. Bear in mind the flying club were the airfield's largest customer and left it with a lot of unpaid bills.

Please come and show your support and tell your friends - after all "Old Sarum Airfield" is exactly that and not just a flying training organisation.

moonym20
4th Jun 2008, 08:47
Old Sarum is very much alive :ok:
I would like to say thanks to Angus and the team for a wonderful stay, they were very accomodating and the place was a hive of activity, i wish some other clubs/airfields were like this.

So thanks again chaps, i will deffinatly be comming back in the near future! oh, p.s. the food was fantastic too!

- just wish the sercurity at Southampon was as welcoming as you guys :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

mothflyer
6th Jun 2008, 07:03
Come-on everyone, I know this IS a rumour network but some rumours, as we know, dont work for the good of things.

I, like many spent many years flying as much as I could at Sarum and I have to say its a great spot with some great aircraft and a bunch of enthusiastic hard workers! Put together, the instructors have a wealth of experience with varying backgrounds which all goes together to make a very rounded instructional facility. Whether you like microlights, tourer's, aerobatics or multi's, Sarums got it all and they REMAIN keen to get people in the air and enjoying the facilities there and remain competative.

Keep up the good work guys & gals. :ok:

(not the Mothflyer based on-site).

Agonist
6th Jun 2008, 15:28
It's sad to hear that the flying club has gone under, I was at the airfield last weekend for the support our paras event and I didnt hear anything about the problems then.

I was hoping to start a PPL at old sarum later this month, does anyone know if flight training is likely to have resumed by this time? If so then i will happily be one of the first customers.

cadge
7th Jun 2008, 06:33
Rumour has it that something may happen soon but no details.

JP1
7th Jun 2008, 12:10
How long does it take to get a club back off the ground?

If my case is typical then a lot of ex-club members will be looking to pastures new.

For me since I am still very inexperienced and learnt in the Bulldog, Old Sarum and continuation of flying in the same aircraft (if the owner continues to lease her to a new club) is the single factor that prevents me from joining another club more local to me immediately.

For others, especially the PPL trainees who will want continuation of training, perhaps the allure of other clubs is stronger.

So it's a genuine question for those reading that may be active in trying to get a new club going. How long will it take. knowing absolutely nothing about running a club, especially the legalities, I would imagine the time period is measured in months as opposed to weeks.

Certainly as an ex-member I would be interested to know the timescales likely. If they are relatively short I will hold off in applying for membership elsewhere and rejoin the new OSFC.

Thanks
JP1

hugh flung_dung
7th Jun 2008, 13:07
Hi John,

It's barely been 10 days so far. I can only repeat what I said earlier: "I am optimistic that flying training and aircraft hire will soon return to Old Sarum airfield".

HFD

Nibbler
9th Jun 2008, 06:30
There are a good many people and groups who are all pushing hard, not to mention the airfield owners who are keen to see training return.

Everyone is thinking (hoping and praying) in terms of weeks.

Hang on in there people, come up and keep informed as often as you can.

Oh and has anyone mentioned that a group has already started microlight training?! :D

HappyFran
9th Jun 2008, 17:46
Does anyone know the owner of G-DOME. ?
I have flown it a few times as a hour builder and would like to continue if the owner is willing /able.:)
Would also consider hiring any of the other SE aircraft based at Old Sarum if they are available for hire/lease ?:ok:

hugh flung_dung
9th Jun 2008, 17:52
Re DOME: it's owned by Haimoss Ltd so not available at the moment.

Ref earlier comments: I'm still as optimistic

HFD

D120A
10th Jun 2008, 19:23
I flew in there today at lunch time. Still the same warm welcome, still the same helpful ATC, still the same good food (and indeed some of the 'locals' seemed to be visiting to watch the aircraft and enjoy a good lunch), just quieter than before because of the lack of school traffic.

The landing fee for my Jodel (£10) was less than it was a few months ago, too, and I shall be going again, asap. I recommend everyone else does the same; let's support these airfields when they get the occasional hiccups and make sure they survive and prosper.

Irv
15th Jun 2008, 08:47
So what is the phone number for the airfield for PPR? The one on 'contact us' on the airfield website goes to some private house where the owner claims to be nothing to do with it and is wondering 'why the calls?'

hugh flung_dung
15th Jun 2008, 21:55
I checked with Angus today and unfortunately there isn't a number at the moment, the advice is to just call on 123.2. Hopefully this will soon be sorted out.

HFD

Mike Cross
16th Jun 2008, 07:49
Angus needs reminding of his obligations as Operator to issue a NOTAM if the a/d details in the AIP are incorrect
AD Administration: Old Sarum Flying Club.
Address: Hangar 3, Portway, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 6BJ.
Telephone: 01722-322525 (Operations).
Fax: 01722-323702.

How long is it since Blanefield took over the Administration?

What is the licensing status as well? One presumes that as Blanefield don't even have a working phone the RFF status must be very much in question.

hugh flung_dung
17th Jun 2008, 19:29
Some of you will know that flying training in C42s has already started at the airfield. The "stop press" update is that PA28 flying training and hire is about to start and will offer discounted rates for ex-members of OSFC; a little more info is available on the embryonic website: http://www.flysarum.com/.

For those interested in advanced handling and aerobatic training, I am optimistic that these will soon be added to the PA28 operation, together with other training and hire offerings.

HFD
(who was/is not involved with the management of the new or old entities)

Nibbler
18th Jun 2008, 18:29
I understand the owner of G-LAZL may be interested in hiring his A/C at reasonable rates.

Good news on the new FTO starting up this weekend :ok:

tmmorris
18th Jun 2008, 19:23
I went on Monday - the PPR system on their new website doesn't work yet but otherwise it was immaculate. Very nice food indeed.

Tim

hugh flung_dung
18th Jun 2008, 19:38
Nibbler: there isn't yet an FTO. An FTO is a specific type of operation that is only needed for MEP, FI, CPL, etc - not for PPL, tailwheel, aeros, etc.

HFD

osaf
18th Jun 2008, 19:47
Old Sarum situation, and in answer to various q's on this and other boards.

The customer training records and all the exam records have been sent to the safe custody of the CAA.

This was done in line with the liquidators direct instructions following conversations with the CAA . Everything pertaining to the old company fell within their control on the collapse of Megastream.

The CAA will no doubt be happy to make these records available as is appropriate when each individual decides to further their training.

I am very hopeful that a large proportion of you will give the new flight training operators at Old Sarum a fair shot. We have been most careful to ensure that they are of good character and have the appropriate commitment and backing.

Much has been made of the short term start up period. Some of you will realise that agreements take time to formulate and longer to document. The pressing need was to get these people rolling as soon as was prudent.

We are therefore very pleased to welcome the team from Cunning Plan and their embryo Old Sarum Flying School and hope this is the beginning of a long term relationship that benefits themselves, us as operators and you the aviating public that make it all happen!

Nibbler
19th Jun 2008, 10:11
HFD - :uhoh: I stand, er sit corrected.

:D Well done to Angus and everyone involved - only 5 weeks to get training back up and running again!

HappyFran
20th Jun 2008, 18:22
Good Luck to all at Old Sarum Flying School.
Hope you get up and running soon :)

Got Liquidator letter today (OSFC) £454,610 deficiency :eek::eek:
That is a hell of achievment for a school with no aircraft :suspect::rolleyes::suspect:

hugh flung_dung
24th Jun 2008, 18:46
I'm delighted to announce that Aerobatic and "advanced handling" training is available again at OS, also there is also a Bulldog available for hire.
PM me for details.

HFD

Nibbler
2nd Jul 2008, 07:03
Anyone have any news on the return of IMC training?

hugh flung_dung
2nd Jul 2008, 07:20
Nibbler: IMC training is available again.

Currently there are several PA28s and and a Bulldog for hire, one of the PA28s is a very nice "glass cockpit" Archer . Training includes IMC, PPL, Aerobatics, and advanced handling - the latter can be customised to the customer's requirements.

PM me for more details.

HFD

yawningdog
2nd Jul 2008, 07:55
What about the Arrows, are they available at all? What's the solo rate for the Bulldog & the Glass Cockpit PA28. What kind of Glass Cockpit? Thanks

hugh flung_dung
2nd Jul 2008, 10:21
yawningdog:
I suspect the mods might think it was inappropriate if I put more details and prices here so I'll reply by PM ASAP.

HFD

BRL
2nd Jul 2008, 10:44
I suspect the mods might think it was inappropriate if I put more details and prices here so I'll reply by PM ASAP.

If you are replying to a question then as a general rule it is ok.

It would be inappropriate if you just started posting prices etc without being asked.

It is a bit of a fine line really but if it is not a blatent plug you would be alright. :)

hugh flung_dung
2nd Jul 2008, 17:57
Thanks BRL:ok:

The rates for the PA28s are on the embryonic website: Old Sarum Flying School (http://www.flysarum.com)
The dry solo rate for the Bulldog (low hours, good nav kit, including SatNav) is £95/hr.

"What kind of Glass Cockpit?": the PFD is an Avidyne EXP5000 and the MFD is an Avidyne EX5000

There isn't currently an Arrow available but one of the ex-OSFC Arrows may be available for hire locally - PM me if you're interested.

HFD

motherbird
13th Jul 2008, 20:00
I'm so glad Old Sarum is not closing.

My father was an RAF pilot who trained on Lysanders here in WWII. He would have turned in his grave if it had been built over with rows of identical Bovis box homes. His grandson and granddaughter have had the flying lessons at Old Sarum for a year or so and i hope they will be able to continue to do so for the next 60.

Motherbird