PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel down in Devon

Postman Plod
29th May 2008, 15:40
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7426231.stm

Hope all are well.

EDIT: Tried editing the title to indicate it was a Squirrel not a Lynx, but edit doesn't seem to show on the forum, so sorry for any confusion / misidentification on my part.

RIP both crew members.

mechelec
29th May 2008, 15:52
SKY reporting 2 crew recovered to Barnstaple hospital, hope all are ok.

happysod1412
29th May 2008, 16:15
Hope all is well!

anotherthing
29th May 2008, 16:16
Reading the BBC report and without any further information, it sounds like a power line strike - whatever the reason, hope both are well.

Razor61
29th May 2008, 16:26
ITV reporting it is a Squirrel and 1 person has tragically died.
BBC and Sky are reporting it as a Lynx with two people injured.
SKY showing a Navy Lynx and reporting it as Army.

:mad:

CAC Runaway
It's NOT a Lynx.

KarlADrage
Sadly, Sky News are reporting a fatality:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1317565,00.html

:(

OmegaV6
29th May 2008, 16:32
The BBC report has been updated :(

Condolences to all concerned

RIP

preduk
BBC now saying its a squirrel.

anotherthing
BBC confirming that report, 1 sadly died, reported on BBC as a Squirrel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7426231.stm :(

This statmement at the bottom of the BBC report p:mad::mad:es me off:

Are you in the area? Did you see the helicopter come down? You can send us your experiences using the form below:
You can send pictures and video to: [email protected] or to send via mobile please dial 61124.
If you have a large file you can upload here. (http://bbcnewsupload.streamuk.com/) Do not endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.

PPRuNeUser0211
29th May 2008, 16:43
Another example of an early twitch on the part of media bods (be it ours or those on the outside) regarding the sensitive topic of a/c crashes.

Condolences and thoughts with the surviving crew.

FormerFlake
29th May 2008, 16:44
Yet again the wonderfull British media print incorrect details before eventually getting the facts right.:ugh:

My thoughts are with the families.

green granite
29th May 2008, 16:55
Are you in the area? Did you see the helicopter come down? You can send us your experiences using the form below:
You can send pictures and video to: [email protected] or to send via mobile please dial 61124.
If you have a large file you can upload here. (http://bbcnewsupload.streamuk.com/) Do not endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. This statmement at the bottom of the BBC report p:mad::mad:es me off:

Quite agree anotherthing they get rid of a lot of professional journalists and then get the public to do their job for free. :ugh:

Tiger_mate
29th May 2008, 17:02
18:00

Sky News: Both dead

Sad day.... R.I.P

SirToppamHat
29th May 2008, 17:10
You can always go and make a complaint about the insensitivity of this appeal for information:

BBC Complaints (http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/index.shtml?survey=no&url=www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/index.shtml&site=complaints&js=yes)

STH

Overdrive
29th May 2008, 17:31
This statmement at the bottom of the BBC report p:mad::mad:es me off:

Quote:
If you have a large file you can upload here. (http://bbcnewsupload.streamuk.com/) Do not endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws.

Yes... and the usual irrelevant speculation/inferences re. the helicopter type as well.

A shame.

Razor61
29th May 2008, 17:42
Witnesses now reporting on local news that it was circling a few times before it went down and hit powerlines... no mention of hitting powerlines first.

Vox Populi
29th May 2008, 17:48
I suspect the original wire reports (that all newsrooms use) quoted the a/c as a Lynx. Editors would have published based on that, it's not their fault it turned out to be incorrect. The originator of this thread also reported it as a Lynx.

Breaking news often has inaccuracies that are corrected asap. I personally don't think it is something to get angry about.

Very sorry for those involved, a very sad day.

amb_211085
29th May 2008, 17:56
My condolences to the families and friends of those involved.

(Do the mil have any squirrels based other than at Shawbs?)

Gnd
29th May 2008, 17:57
Thats OK then, I will remember that when I next fly. It is not important to get your facts correct, perish the thought that we respect professionalism and just gob off as suits. Guess you don't fly lynx and have friends or family that might get a tad concerned when idiots just jump for ratings - luck you - I do and they don't appreciate it!!!! :ugh:

It's not their faults - Cool - was it the computers fault then?????? Why are there so many fool in this world?

SunderlandMatt
29th May 2008, 18:02
A very sad day. My thoughts go to the friends and family of both the crew. Thoughts also to those on course.

Just makes you take a moment and think that life could be taken away at any moment.

Rest in Peace gentlemen.

CPGAH
29th May 2008, 18:05
My thoughts are with the families now.

Having been the victim of the press sensationalising a story and releasing it earlier than their facts should have allowed it is disgusting that they continue to strive to be the first to release... I wonder if they ever think about how many families are affected by these tactics?
Any 'dirty' journalists reading these pages rather than getting the real story, please hoist onboard.

philma-b
29th May 2008, 18:31
shocked. :sad:
my thoughts are with the family of the two crew and also for the cse members at this sad time.
rest in peace.

mutleyfour
29th May 2008, 18:36
Sad news, gutted and dreading the names being released. Condolences to those loved ones in distress tonight.

rigidrotor
29th May 2008, 19:05
Having taught on courses that use the area it is a tragic day for all concerned especially the families. My thoughts are with them all

anotherthing
29th May 2008, 19:09
A good friend and colleague died along with his instructor after a wire strike in a Gazelle several years ago - not long into our career.

It was the first time I had encountered it, sadly not the last; the pain never lessens.

My thoughts go out to the relatives and the colleagues of those who died today.

RIP

yttar
29th May 2008, 19:12
The mil helo world is a small one and an event such as this drives home our mortality. A sad loss - my thoughts to those close to this.

UAV689
29th May 2008, 19:14
sad day for all involved thoughts with the family.

C4 news saying its a squirrel but showing videos of Lynx :ugh:

OldHunter
29th May 2008, 19:26
I gather this one was Middle Wallop based.

Postman Plod
29th May 2008, 19:28
From my point of view, and not to take anything away from the point of the thread, I was purely posting what had been released on the BBC news site at the time. I have tried correcting my error, however the post title doesn't seem to want to change. Apologies for any offence caused.

Eight Eights Blue
29th May 2008, 19:28
My thoughts and deepest sympathy to the families of the crew involved in this tragic accident.

RIP.

TheWizard
29th May 2008, 19:35
Deepest condolences.
RIP Brothers

josh2
29th May 2008, 19:43
It's a tragedy and my thoughts are with the families tonight. It never gets any easier to hear the news of fatalities, choked!

1under2over
29th May 2008, 19:47
There go I but for the grace of God. No matter how many times any of us within this fraternity deal with these terrible events it always cuts as deep. My sympathies to all of the families, friends and colleagues. RIP

plinkplinkfizz
29th May 2008, 19:59
RIP fellow aviators.

Please fly safe all.

Beatriz Fontana
29th May 2008, 20:07
My sympathies to friends and family.

I hated flying in the Squirrel more than any other aircraft.

vortex-ring
29th May 2008, 20:11
So sorry to hear this terrible news and my thoughts go to the families and friends involved. A message shared by all Army pilots I am sure.

Greenleader
29th May 2008, 20:15
Very sad news. My thoughts are with the families.

pjhz50
29th May 2008, 20:43
Terrible news. Another awful day for the whole AAC family. All our thoughts are of those lost today, and our sympathies with their loved ones,friends and colleagues, whose pain I cannot imagine.
God Bless you all.

ditchvisitor
29th May 2008, 20:46
RIP Guys and my thoughts to all the families involved

Guzlin Adnams
29th May 2008, 20:52
God bless to you and RIP.

jellycopter
29th May 2008, 21:08
A terrible day. My thoughts go to the family, friends and colleagues of the crew involved. RIP. JJ

Oldlae
29th May 2008, 21:17
There are two threads on this accident in Rotorheads.

Outgoing
29th May 2008, 21:38
Thoughts and best wishes to all that were close. As already mentioned and despite not being involved in this industry any more, it never gets any easier and the feeling of dread before the names are released does not diminish...

Thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

blinky_bill
29th May 2008, 21:41
Another sad day for the military, with this sad loss of two more respectable people. Rest in peace, our thought go out to your family and friends

When will the media get their stories right before they release. How many wives, mothers, dads, brothers of lynx aircrew worried this afternoon all because typically the british media jumped into a story without the basic facts!!!! :mad::mad:

RIP

AHQHI656SQN
29th May 2008, 21:49
From the whole family, our sincere condolences to the family and friends of those who were involved in this tragic accident today. To the two who are now VMC on top and have beat us all to the bar, when you see me coming, mine will be a John Smith’s. Rest in Peace.

Tom :sad:

WizzopWannabe
29th May 2008, 21:58
at shawbury right now, just happened to look on google news, shocked and dumbstruck,
RIP lads
all our thoughts to their families.

Vox Populi
29th May 2008, 22:59
Thats OK then, I will remember that when I next fly. It is not important to get your facts correct, perish the thought that we respect professionalism and just gob off as suits. Guess you don't fly lynx and have friends or family that might get a tad concerned when idiots just jump for ratings - luck you - I do and they don't appreciate it!!!!

It's not their faults - Cool - was it the computers fault then?????? Why are there so many fool in this world?

So you're a news editor and the wires flash that a Concorde has crashed in Paris. You tell me you're not going to publish, until some mythical time that all the facts are known?

A mistake was made early on in this instance, with regards to the type, possibly by the military or more likely by local plod or some such. Newsrooms have to rely on what they're told by the agencies, who in turn rely on various authorities. Having served both industries I've seen equivalent mistakes made on both sides. I guess the media is an easier target, because their mistakes are on instant public view.

I reiterate my immense sadness at today's event, which is uppermost in my thoughts.

JAFG
29th May 2008, 23:08
RIP mate.............it will be a smaller world without you.

Farfrompuken
30th May 2008, 00:01
Godspeed fellow aviators.

dubster
30th May 2008, 08:29
If it was Devon they would proboly have been on the final exercise before getting there wings(right seat).......RIP guys.

Oldlae
30th May 2008, 08:39
On the local TV news last night the BBC reported that the Squirrel descended into power lines and pieces of a door or doors were found some distance from the fuselage. There is a video link on www.bbc.co.uk/devon (http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon) showing the door(s).

There is another thread in Rotorheads on this accident.

Gnd
30th May 2008, 12:32
Vox, Would you think it acceptable if the Concord was initially reported as a 747 and all the people in the world looked at their families and friends thinking they were dead? Then marvel in their little faces when they realise that it was a Concord.

No, I thought not - check and check again is a fine mantra to follow. Not published and be damed!! They are all damed in my book. I am never going to agree with your slap-dash attitude so here endeth the rant.(maybe!)

Vox Populi
30th May 2008, 12:56
So your answer is that you would not have published the Concorde story? Until when?

How does the editor know that the info on the wires is wrong?

timex
30th May 2008, 13:04
Until you had your facts right..........but then when has the press ever done that? Too many £ signs.

Eight Eights Blue
30th May 2008, 13:21
Guys and Gals,

As a military aviator myself I think it is absolutely terrible that clowns rant and rave on here about who is right and wrong (press etc).

If it was me in that position I would hope that people would pass on their symapthy to those left behind and then eventually post a few good old time stories.

Please get a grip of yourselves and should you wish to bitch at each other, do it over a bare knuckle scrap. If you have no gumption or bottle to do this then talk over a phone and air your differences that way and leave this thread for people to pass on their respects during what can only be described as a traumatic time for some not so fortunate as us.

Once again fellow aviators, RIP.

Winch-control
30th May 2008, 14:25
A very sad day...My heartfelt thoughts to the guys. I wish the families all the best. A tragic loss...

dewlag999
30th May 2008, 14:30
Thoughts are with the families - a tragic accident.

:(

Winco
30th May 2008, 14:35
8/8s Blue

Very well said Sir.

To the families and friends of those lost, my deepest sympathy to you all. RIP guys.

Bodie3636
30th May 2008, 16:17
Another sad loss, will see you again at the big bar! RIP

Gnd
30th May 2008, 18:32
Many apologies, I know them, I do not think their families appreciated the 'inadvertent' haste from a rating 'aware' editor. vox stick to your job, I will console my friends who rue the day they are pestered by the parasitic press, and I will do mine - properly!

Oldlae
30th May 2008, 21:29
Aircrew named RIP, on BBC site www.bbc.co.uk/devon (http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon)

Father Abrahams
30th May 2008, 21:47
Condolences to all of the families involved.
I am proud to have served with one of the guys; top bloke, gifted aviator, will be sorely missed. RIP.

grimfixer
30th May 2008, 21:48
Guys,

Only too recently we were publishing our thoughts and condolences for losing some close mates. The families were touched by the inclusion of the thread within a book of condolences........I can't see how some of the bitching here would help anyone trying to come to terms with this tragedy.

PM each other if you really need to carry on, but lets remember the guys on here in a manner befitting them and their loved ones.

My sincere sympathies to the families, loved ones and oppos of the fallen.

GF

L'WAAPAM
30th May 2008, 21:51
Very, Very sad day. My thoughts go out to the families and friends of both pilots.

I new Vince from my Army flying days, a solid aviator and bloody nice bloke, he will be sadly missed.

RIP guys,

L'

jEtGuiDeR
30th May 2008, 22:01
Tragic loss.

Deepest sympathies go out to both their families. And also to all their oppos.

Rest In Peace.

ScrinsonBadger
30th May 2008, 23:06
Absolutely gutted. RIP mate, a good man, a great pilot.

Our thoughts and condolences to all families involved.

vortex-ring
30th May 2008, 23:33
You will be sadly missed by so many. A seriously professional man both in the air and on the ground.

Flying_Padre
30th May 2008, 23:42
Sincere condolences to family and friends - a sad loss.
A great many thoughts and prayers will go with them - Pax RIP
Padre

helidriver
31st May 2008, 05:34
Our thoughts are with Mark and Vince's family at this extremely difficult time. RIP fellas.

Mr & Mrs h

Alfie Stenloop
31st May 2008, 07:57
I knew both, having served with Vince in Ireland and having sent Mark first solo. Two top blokes and my sincere condolences go to Liz and the family as well as Mark's parents and family. Also condolences to all on 670 Sqn AAC, on this sad sad day. RIP guys. :(

The Cryptkeeper
31st May 2008, 14:10
I've just returned from Fremington and I am devastated at the loss of my friend Vince and his student Mark - we are gutted beyond belief and our thoughts are with their families.
Our gratitude goes out to the SAR boys at Chiv and all the emergency services involved who were all extremely proffessional and sensitive.
Vinny, RIP mate, I can't believe you're gone.

rapman
31st May 2008, 15:11
My thoughts are with the families of the two pilots, such a tragic waste of two young men in the prime of they lifes. R.I.P

Thinking of 670 and the boys on the squirrel line at Wallop at this difficult time.

alexmac
31st May 2008, 15:45
Can only add to the messages here, another great loss for the rotorhead community. RIP gents, will raise a glass to you in the wardroom tonight.

eagleroll
31st May 2008, 15:59
Another good friend and fellow aviator lost to a tragic accident. my thoughts go out to your family at this very sad time. Vince you may be gone from this earth but you will be in our thoughts for eternity. RIP mate RG

Winch-control
31st May 2008, 16:30
My condolences to both families. I know neither, but I still feel for both. A sad loss, not just to aviation, but to life...

Mister-T
31st May 2008, 18:27
Always difficult to deal with these occasions especially when its someone you know.

I was always impressed by Vince's attitude both in and out of work.

RIP

Thoughts and best wishes to family, friends and colleagues

Mr & Mrs T

Penbox
1st Jun 2008, 01:03
My condolences to both families. I knew Vince well and I will miss him. A professional and easy going bloke. RIP. A loss to the AAC and the AH fraternity.

magnificent_man
3rd Jun 2008, 11:48
Truely shocking news.

My heartfelt condolences to both families and friends. Mark was headboy at my old school and I remember him to be a unique, fair and all round nice guy.

I'm glad that he was doing what he loved. RIP.

M.M