PDA

View Full Version : CAT A Compassionate

Wyler
29th May 2008, 12:52
Folks, below is an edited version of an e-mail just reproduced with the authors permission. He is a TG12 FS serving in Afghanistan.

Late yesterday afternoon I was sitting in Lash when I received a call that my FIL was seriously ill and not expected to last much longer.
A quick call to the UK casualty centre with the hospital details and I was quickly classed as a CAT A.
Less than an hour later a Sea King arrived (with mini gun Chinook top cover) in the pitch black with the sole purpose of collecting me.
I was very soon at Kandahar after just one hours flying where I was met by guys who quickly got me onto a C-17 which was waiting for me. The Crew bunk was reserved and I was treated like a King, nothing was too much trouble. A quick crew change and refuel in Turkey and then it was direct to Aberdeen (aircraft diverted from Brize just for me).
I was put in the jump seat for the last 30 minutes to see what was going on. Poor weather was the order of the day but we made it in for an engines running drop off and I was immediately picked up and whisked away to the hospital.
Sadly, I just missed my FIL passing but I was there for my family and I will never forget the lengths my Service colleagues and friends went to to get me home as soon as they could.
In this day of tight budgets and resources it is good to see that the individual can still come first. My FIL, who served in India with the RAF in WW2 and, according to his diary, was being strafed by Jap Zeros exactly 64 years ago, would have been proud.

What a great story and a change from the usual gripes and moans (mostly justified). I have always thought that it is the ability of the UK Armed Forces to rise to a challenge, and improvise, that has made us amongst the best in the world.
:D:D:D:D:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Twon
29th May 2008, 13:04
I can't believe I just shed a tear without warning! The Comp system has worked well on several occasions for my family and it's good to see that it works just as well in the middle of nowhere.

An unfortunate outcome but at least families don't have the added worry of loved ones still OOA during difficult times.

Long may this system continue.

VinRouge
29th May 2008, 13:23
One of the more rewarding trips for the crews too.

touchpaper
29th May 2008, 13:33
All, we do our best and as quickly as we can, I'm sorry that in this instance we could not get you home any quicker, but believe me we do try.

gijoe
29th May 2008, 13:51
This is something we have got exactly right and it is thoroughly appreciated by all colours of uniform.

Well done!

G

althenick
29th May 2008, 14:47
Great to see that the services have came so far WRT Compasionate Leave. :ok:

I dont know if this dit is appropriate for this thread so moderators please feel free to delete....

My old man told me what happened to him when he was on the Ark back in
'61...

Got pulled in front of a very young and inexperienced D.O. (2 Ringer) and was asked if he had had any mail from his mother. Dad replied in the positive and was answered thus -

"That's OK then you'll know your brother is dead"

Suffice to say, Dad collapsed and Medics were summoned. After being brought round he was then told that he could not be granted compassionate leave as he did not count as Next of Kin :mad:

MightyGem
29th May 2008, 17:25
Well done to all involved. :ok:

kokpit
29th May 2008, 19:03
Well done to all involved, although I'm sure anyone who'd been in a similar enabling position would have done just the same. :D

advocatusDIABOLI
29th May 2008, 19:32
firstly, in this world of 'Lean', I'm so glad really important things still matter. A few years ago, I lost my Mum, whilst on exchange in the USA. The Embassy and other staff were brilliant, truely briliant.

Great to see that at least one area of our life hasn't been destroyed.

Advo

PS: To anyone who works in 'That' field... WELL DONE, BE PROUD! the work you do is REALLY appretiated. :D

c130 alm
29th May 2008, 20:27
Have done similar trips. Being called out to Hannover for very similar circumstances at 3am is never a chore.

blinky_bill
29th May 2008, 21:32
I know this will have not positive effect on the individual concerned

Its nice to see such a positive, rapid reponce what has involved more than one force. Well done to all who took part. (good to see the mighty Sea King get a mention :ok:)

i am sure this person arrived home the quickest method possible, shame he didnt make it home in time to say his goodbyes.

Well dont again to all who tried

ASCOT Ops Retd
30th May 2008, 12:42
Great to hear some feedback from a customer, albeit tainted with the sadness of being too late. I agree with other posters - it's one thing we continue to do very well and I know all of us at ASCOT try our hardest to make it work as fast as possible.

(not quite retired)

Rigger1
30th May 2008, 13:54
How nice to see something actually works in the forces these days. Let’s hope the bean counters don’t look into how much it all costs, because you can’t put a price on good work like this – well done to all those involved and may your FIL Rest In Peace.

KeepItTidy
30th May 2008, 14:40
Well I too have had a very similar story 6 years ago, i was in PSAB my dad took not very well ,the Saudias at the time would not let me leave on a civvy flight , so the Americans took me on a herc dropped me off in Oman, for the brits to pick me up and get me sent home direct to London with the crew ushering me to the front of the aircraft with a guy waiting who took me to my transfer flight (no checks customs bag change etc ) then direct flight up north. I too never made it back in time but again appreciated all the effort to get me home,I thanked all a few weeks later and to this day feel very humble that a system that works extremely well and for people to go out there way to help when in need is second to none.

Toadstool
30th May 2008, 18:31
Brilliant - glad to see it still works. When my ex's father was given 24 hours to live while we were posted to cyprus, I dithered around ringing the admin office trying to get a flight. My mother-in-law rang the correct number and the wheels were in motion staight away. MT rushed her to Larnaca for direct flight to LHR. Met by airport staff and rushed to other terminal for flight to Edinburgh. Met by staff and taken straight to a taxi for a 45 minute drive home. She just managed to hold his hand and tell him she was there just before he passed away. Good to see we still pull out all the stops.

T

minigundiplomat
31st May 2008, 06:45
I was overhead Lash and if it got you where you needed to be then it was my pleasure. Im sure I speak for the rest of the crew fella.

MGD

Gonzo
31st May 2008, 09:59
We in civvy ATC try and do all we can, when we know a certain flight is one of these.

On that note, can someone in ASCOT ops email or PM me please? I'd like to see if we can improve what we can do to help you guys in these cases.

Adam Spink
Heathrow ATC
[email protected] (https://mail.google.com/mail?view=cm&tf=0&ui=1&[email protected])

Faithless
31st May 2008, 20:21
Does'nt matter what the colour of the uniform, I think this is the one area all three services move heaven and earth and work together, and do it so bloody well. I take my hat off to all those involved in Comp A/B's.

Let's hope this area is never tarnished by the never ending cut backs we are all feeling :=.

Respect to all.:ok:

Fugazi1000
31st May 2008, 20:30
There was a similar thread a while back with equally touching tales. I was very moved reading it.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317237&highlight=compassionate

taxydual
31st May 2008, 21:34
I hope someone from ASCOT Ops acknowledges Gonzo's post (no 17 on this thread) and acts on it. What an offer to make.

Gonzo, if you do get a result, will you let us know?

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Gonzo
31st May 2008, 21:44
Already acted on. I posted no.17 just before I left for work, and I had an email waiting for me from someone at ASCOT Ops when I got to work. :ok:

Thanks for the quick response.

advocatusDIABOLI
31st May 2008, 22:36
I'm truely touched by some of the posts here, but to lighten the tone slightly, could we think of a 'code phrase' that indicates this situation, which is easily passed to ATC.......

A starter might be:

'Paris control, good morning. This is ASCOT 379 Heavy and we are declaring SUPERMAN'..... 'Aaar Roger Ascot, standby........... Air France 123 descend Flt Level 230 and turn 235 for clearance of 'Superman' flt' etc etc

would be nice, but can't see it. I think the reason our little system works, is because there really is a team spirit, and when it matters, everyone does that little extra.......

Gives me some hope, but well done, and thank you to anyone who has helped in one of these cases. :D

Advo

KeepItTidy
1st Jun 2008, 02:19
Faithless (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=129926)

Does'nt matter what the colour of the uniform, I think this is the one area all three services move heaven and earth and work together, and do it so bloody well. I take my hat off to all those involved in Comp A/B's.

Let's hope this area is never tarnished by the never ending cut backs we are all feeling :=.

Respect to all.:ok:

Best words in a long time :)

I had loss in my time , for something close to me i hope the same was given i will never know.

taxydual
1st Jun 2008, 05:52
re Gonzo's offer (post no 17}

10 out of 10 to ASCOT Ops.

Looks like a plan is coming together.

Well done.

Inverted81
1st Jun 2008, 15:58
The RAF continued their support today, with an urgent CAT A VC10 arrival again at Aberdeen. Arrived to transport a Heart down to stansted to be forwarded onto Great Ormond Street. I understand there was a 3 hour deadline. I hope all goes well to the families involved. :ok:

DC10RealMan
1st Jun 2008, 17:31
I was on duty this morning at London Control Swanwick when the RAF VC10 flew in the airways system from Brize to ABZ and then to STN. We knew it was a medical flight as that was filed with the original flight plan, however an addition to the callsign to alert us to its status is a very good idea. The flight was given numerous direct routings as we assumed that it was a heart transplant flight.

cornish-stormrider
2nd Jun 2008, 07:21
As a poor humble ex-liney it was always hugely gratifying to know that this system is there, I've helped out once on the other end of it too. It is never too much trouble to get it done.

I truly love the "superman" idea.

airborne_artist
2nd Jun 2008, 08:05
Already acted on. I posted no.17 just before I left for work, and I had an email waiting for me from someone at ASCOT Ops when I got to work. :ok:

Thanks for the quick response.

The power of Pprune. Fabtastic work Gonzo:D

anotherthing
2nd Jun 2008, 08:20
Gonzo - check yer Pms :ok:

moosemaster
2nd Jun 2008, 09:25
Well done to all involved, just a shame the outcome wasn't the best this time round.

Having been on the delivering end of several Comp "A/B" flights, I know I ALWAYS looked on it as a;

"Do what I can today, for tomorrow it might be me needing the help!"

situation.

In my experience, ATC have always been extrememly accomodating if/when they are aware of the nature of these flights, and for that I thank them all.

I can only remember 1 occasion where someone got annoyed because of a comp A.

We had just go all 4 running when we were informed a Puma was inbound with a comp A on board. The Puma was 60 minutes out so we shut down and waited. After explaining to the pax what was going on, everyone (except an army colonel) settled down for the duration. The col. in question started threatening all sorts to try to make us depart on schedule, even threatening to call 2 and 3 stars in London. The captain was an old hand, and his reply is one I'll never forget.

"You can call God for all I care, because we aren't going anywhere until that guy is on-board. If you want to be aboard when we do leave, then I suggest you sit down and shut the **** up, Sir."

The col. never did make that phone call!

Long may the system remain untouched and effective, and long may everyone involved keep up the good work.

cornish-stormrider
2nd Jun 2008, 09:36
Moose, ROTFLMFAO. I think that spiel should be handed to every captain. That is the perfect way to deal with jumped-up REMF, arse swinging muppets. Shame they are getting more and more prevalent.

moosemaster
2nd Jun 2008, 11:54
Isn't it just!

JCCC
10th Jun 2008, 19:54
Thanks guys we do our best, but we only do the first checks and authorise the category, although that can be tricky on occasion. The unsung heroes are the team in DSCOM Comp Travel Cell who move aircraft/aircrew around (as an ex-Air Traffiker I used to think I did that but not like the DSCOM team!), get wheels fixed to pick up at airports etc.

We all know how important it is, some of us have used it in the past.

:ok:

HGW