PDA

View Full Version : age ain't nothing but a number?

AndoniP
29th May 2008, 12:28
So reading PPRuNe it seems that there are tons of qualified pilots out there but not enough jobs for them. Stories of qualification years ago and still sending out CVs, working for next to nothing to get flying hours, it seems sensible then to ask the same kind of questions regarding jobs.

I'm looking to change career and follow the boyhood dream of being a pilot. Currently i'm 34, in IT and have a mortgage, fiancee, the works. When it comes down to it money isn't a problem for a CPL (parents can lend me the money) however there are 3 main factors I need to consider:

1. whether i will actually be able to get a job regardless of who i fly for
2. the relocation to get said job
3. my age

I understand that at 34 I may be slightly older entering the industry but will this hamper my chances of getting a job? point 2 i'm not that fussed about, the fiancee said she would move with me even though we are looking to get married next year, most importantly would be point 1, the availability. If the market is saturated would it be easier to get a job flying cargo planes or for private / corporate companies or something?

I guess your valued input will help me gauge whether or not it's worth pursuing the dream or sitting behind a desk until i retire...

Thanks for any advice you can provide

Andoni

MIKECR
29th May 2008, 15:19
The demand to fly cargo and corportae, as you say, is just as high as the demand to fly for any passenger airline. Competition is severe for ANY job thats going. Whether its a large jet or a beat up old turboprop on night freight, there are 1000's of applications posted to companies every month.

At the moment, the industry is going tits up due to high oil prices and ecenomic recession. The future for any budding pilot looks extremely bleak.
Anyone contemplating undertaking training is taking a massive gamble. Save your money and stick to flying as a hobby. Just my tuppence worth.

G SXTY
29th May 2008, 15:35
At 34 your age is not - repeat not - an issue. This question gets asked on here at least twice per week.

I would be much more concerned about the general state of the job market over the next couple of years. This industry is cyclical, and boom is just as surely followed by bust. With high oil prices and reducing consumer confidence we are already seeing the first signs of a slowdown in aviation. If previous cycles are anything to go by (eg 1990 & 2001) then jobs for newly qualified pilots will be very thin on the ground for 2 or 3 years to come.

God, I'm starting to sound like WWW. . . :ooh:

To answer your first question, I would invest in some airline aptitude testing (read up on the GAPAN tests referenced at the the top of the forum). This will tell you with a fair degree of accuracy whether you're airline material.

Then, if you choose to proceed in the current market, I'd do it slowly and with minimum risk and expenditure. That is, go modular and aim to finish 2-3 years down the road when the industry is likely to be healthier. Don't go and throw £70k+ at an integrated course, then another £20k on a type rating. Things are way too risky for that.

shaun ryder
29th May 2008, 16:48
AndoniP

You obviously do not have a clue about this industry judging by your post. In my opinion you would be wise to forget about it until you become more clued up. Too many people like you come up with these whimsical ideas of becoming a professional pilot based on zero knowledge of what is involved.

Take a moment and read about the current job situation for a wanabee airline pilot. It will make you wince old chap.

AndoniP
29th May 2008, 19:32
thanks for your help shaun. no, really. much appreciated.

G SXTY - you a VW man by any chance? :ok:

thanks for the pointers towards the GAPAN material. i was thinking of modular alongside my normal work. cheers

shaun ryder
29th May 2008, 19:48
No worries AndoniP, just get the full picture before committing. It may turn out that you will prefer to keep flying as a hobby, once all the pros and cons are weighed up. Sorry if the tone of my previous reply seemed a little curt.

olicana
29th May 2008, 20:04
Oh god, this post has just made me realise I am 33, how depressing.