PDA

View Full Version : Bentley Priory flypast

Geezers of Nazareth
29th May 2008, 08:49
I notice from the NOTAMs that there is scheduled to be a flypast at Bentley Priory on Friday afternoon (30th).

I was under the impression that BP closed last year, but maybe there are still a few personnel based there before they switch-off the lights for the last time.

Does anyone know why the flypast is taking place?

Mike Read
29th May 2008, 10:27
Probably the fortieth anniversary of the disbandment of Fighter Command, but about a month late. We had lots of Lightnings, Hunters, a Canberra and some Meteors when we did it.

CHINOOKER
29th May 2008, 19:42
According to thier web site,it is the last day that RAF personnel will be based there....Site gets handed over to developers etc on monday! Any ideas on what time the flypast is and what's doing it as i live near Northolt ,and usually flypasts at BP usually route over us.

L J R
30th May 2008, 04:11
Is the main building up for sale?. I am an interested party,..... as for the workers' quarters neatly attached, naaah you can keep those.... lice and ticks and fleas and all you know...

Geezers of Nazareth
30th May 2008, 17:01
Chinooker, it was at 3pm, and the flypast was by two Hawks, callsign was 'Darwin', if that means anything to anyone. The routed-in from the west (just S of Aylesbury), did the flypast, sharp right turn and went back north.

green granite
30th May 2008, 20:42
Is the main building up for sale?.

Apparently it is to be turned into a museum opening in 2010 after restoration.

WeekendFlyer
31st May 2008, 00:52
A very, very sad day. I was based at BP for a while when 11/18GP was there, prior to everything being moved to High Wycombe, and loved it. BP was a beautiful place to live and work, on a clear day I could see right to the centre of London from my room in the mess, and the gardens and building made social functions and happy hours very pleasant occasions. In the springtime the cherry blossoms were stunning, and there was always plenty of wildlife to be seen.

Yet another example of a beautiful and valuable part of our heritage and history being sold off for financial gain by this utterly :mad: government we have had to endure for the last 11 years. New Liarbour; know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.