PDA

View Full Version : What ATPL Equipment

VFR Transit
29th May 2008, 07:31
Coming up to the GST for the PPL(A) in the next month or two, and am now looking at moving forward with the ATPLs.

Can anyone offer there advice on the equipment needed, for the practical and written ATPL course. I will be doing a lot of flying in addition to the ATPL written exams to build up my hours.

Your help advise would be great on this issue.

Thanks in advance

VFR

Nashers
29th May 2008, 07:58
for your ATPL ground school:- CRP 5, the stuff you need when drawing a route on your map, a calculator and pleanty of redbull.

Whirlygig
29th May 2008, 08:44
You will need a Jeppesen Student Airways Manual and copies of CAP 696/697 and 698; the latter are downloadable I believe.

A chart strip (several would be better!) - a piece of OHP transparency cut into a strip 12" long, half an inch wide with a straight line ruled on it for the length in a bright colour (red, blue, green).

When you come to use the CAP 696/7/8 books, they are useful when reading across the performance charts as you cannot leave any marks in these for the exams.

Cheers

Whirls

potkettleblack
29th May 2008, 08:56
Compass - useful for GNAV and DME arcs etc.

Non Programmable calculator - Something like the FX-83MS. Have seen them quite cheap in ASDA from memory or it could have been Tescos. It has hours/mins/secs which is again really useful when you get to GNAV and are doing flight time problems.

For the CPL/IR the best thing I ever brought was and airways plotter. Great for when you had to plot your position based on a VOR.

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/prod/FVP1/DEPT-ACTS/PLOTS/

DarkSoldier
29th May 2008, 09:11
an example provided by CATS:

http://www.cranfieldaviation.com/2/info/cats/1/CATS%20Course%20Info/Additional%20Course%20Material.pdf

EK4457
29th May 2008, 11:35
I will be doing a lot of flying in addition to the ATPL written exams to build up my hours.

You and, apart from conversions, just about everybody else! I'd recommend hour building after the ATPLs so you hit the CPL/ME/IR 'running' so to speak. Just a little during the study to keep curent was good enough for me.

As far as what is required, CRP 5, scientific calculator, plotter, compass, pencil, rubber, internet (bristol QB) and determination. Nothing more.

You get everything else in your 'welcome pack' from your GS provider. You certainly do not need an inquisitive mind, to apply common sense to the syllabus or understand what 90% of the material has to do with being a pilot.

Yes, they do make you very cynical.

EK

greekboy
29th May 2008, 17:47
hi
do yourself a favour and DO NOT use a pencil for the CRP-5 work. In some questions you'll get the wrong answer due to the examiner being silly and placing answers 2 knots apart for example.
Use a fine tip red water based marker.you then simply brush over the mark with your thumb and move onto the next question. In general navigation time is very important and the last thing you want to do is rub out pencil marks and stare at a dull grey dirty CRP from previous work.

good luck

Whirlygig
29th May 2008, 18:01
...or buy a CRP-5 with a wind arm!

Cheers

Whirls