PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye EOS & MAXJET, Thank you AA!

in my last airline
28th May 2008, 19:11
Just heard that AA are pulling out of STN because of the high oil price! They are lower than a snakes belly and won't simply admit that they have killed off the competition and are now going back to core business. What a bunch of low life cowards!

sevenstrokeroll
28th May 2008, 19:15
maxjet is actually flying again as a very small charter outfit...some pilots have been recalled...not many by any stretch of the imagination.

Dysag
28th May 2008, 19:16
Killing off the competition is what capitalism is all about, unless I've been asleep for the past 200 years...

ukdean
28th May 2008, 19:16
thats an interesting angle to come from.

The SSK
28th May 2008, 20:08
Has it occurred to you that with $130 oil and the state of the economy Stansted-New York is not a viable market - not for Maxjet, not for Eos, and not for American?

autobrake3
28th May 2008, 20:14
Not surprising they couldn't make any money out it, knackered old 767's with almost non existent IFE and flights cancelled due every excuse under the sun. As previously mentioned, it was probably never the intention to make money......

NG_Kaptain
28th May 2008, 20:17
In any case American plays tough.
Used to work for a Caribbean airline, we used to fly MD80's to Puerto Rico from Trinidad via Barbados and Antigua, when American came on the route they put non-stop 727's from each of those destinations until they made it impossible to compete, as soon as we dropped the route the equipment was changed to an ATR 42 and the price raised. Pretty much the same happened on the Caribbean to Miami route, we had five a day, four MD80's and one L1011, eventually dropped to one a day. Subsequently we shut down and restarted at a smaller scale with most of us having to find new jobs.
American is quite the predator, ask the pilots from South and Central America whos airlines failed.
Such are the hard facts of capitalism.

Ex Cargo Clown
29th May 2008, 01:25
In any case American plays tough.
Used to work for a Caribbean airline, we used to fly MD80's to Puerto Rico from Trinidad via Barbados and Antigua, when American came on the route they put non-stop 727's from each of those destinations until they made it impossible to compete, as soon as we dropped the route the equipment was changed to an ATR 42 and the price raised. Pretty much the same happened on the Caribbean to Miami route, we had five a day, four MD80's and one L1011, eventually dropped to one a day. Subsequently we shut down and restarted at a smaller scale with most of us having to find new jobs.
American is quite the predator, ask the pilots from South and Central America whos airlines failed.
Such are the hard facts of capitalism.

Easy to play tough when you live under the protectionist wing of your Government.

I wonder how American firms would do if they had to survive in the real World with an equal footing with everyone else ??

A World where Chapter 11 didn't exist.

A world where you could ride roughshod over International bilateral treaties....

Thought not, they can't even do it properly now, heaven help them if they let European Airlines in.

Huck
29th May 2008, 01:51
American has never been bankrupt.

And please, point out the bilateral treaty provisions you are referring to.

KC135777
29th May 2008, 04:06
if they let European Airlines in.
----------------------------------------

European airlines are in. Open Skies just started. They can fly from any EU city to any US city, right?

If you're referring to the US domestic (intra-US) market, of course we're not interested in letting that happen. US airlines don't fly within any other country's city pairs....so status quo sounds good.

KC135777

stilton
29th May 2008, 05:19
Protectionist wing of the government ?

The same government that allowed : Pan Am, Eastern, Braniff, Frontier etc, etc to fail doesn't seem that protectionist to me.

Granted they stepped in after 9-11 for unprecedented reason.No one flew four passenger aircraft into buildings in Europe though..

British Airways having their debt basically written off before privatisation while still being able to retain a monopoly of slots at LHR seems a little protectionist..

British Airways purchasing their Concorde's for one Pound each seems a little protectionist..

AA's reputation as cold blooded is well deserved, they did their best to kill off my airline a few years ago, that's Capitalism I suppose..

geordiejet
29th May 2008, 07:12
American has never been bankrupt

And it never will. Because the US govt. will carry them through nomatter what. Whereas in the rest of the world, if your business model is not working, and you are loosing $$$ there is a good chance you are sh*t out of luck (except Alitalia ),

Johnny F@rt Pants
29th May 2008, 09:12
What about all the Fedex and UPS flights throughout Europe operated on N reg crewed by American's on American licences.:=

Ex Cargo Clown, we agree about something:D.

lgwops
29th May 2008, 11:50
I stand to be corrected but don't DL have fifth freedom intra european routes inherited from the Panam takeover, they just choose not to operate them now. :)

WHBM
29th May 2008, 15:39
That's life in the commercial world. A converse view is that American, BA et al have spent decades building up commercial links between London and New York, and now upstart carriers come along and try to cream off the best of the traffic, and get annoyed if the established operators make any move to compete.

British Airways ....... still being able to retain a monopoly of slots at LHRDo you not remember that Bermuda, and Bermuda 2, were an AGREEMENT between the UK and US governments. The way it was portrayed latterly was that it was something unilaterally imposed by the UK authorities. One of the aspects of the agreement was that for many years after the agreement there were two US airlines (Pan Am and TWA) and only one UK airline (BA) operating to the US from Heathrow.

And if you think BA have (or even had) a monopoly of Heathrow slots I can only presume you don't come through Heathrow a lot.

cesare.caldi
29th May 2008, 21:43
STN is the third airport of London with more of 23 milion of pax last year, so it's incredible don't have now any flight to New York.

For me this gap will be closed soon...

Confirmed Must Ride
29th May 2008, 23:12
I don't think this gap will be closed anytime soon. Now CO, AA, MaxJet, Eos have all pulled out there will be no consumer confidence in any airline starting a scheduled service to NYC. That with the out of control oil costs, it aint happening anytime soon.

CAP493
30th May 2008, 13:48
Now CO, AA, MaxJet, Eos have all pulled out there will be no consumer confidence in any airline starting a scheduled service to NYC.
You are unfortunately, correct. And you should now add Silverjet to the depressing list... :{