PDA

View Full Version : Mod Switchboard.

tyne
28th May 2008, 14:35
Hi, not exactly air crew topic, and I'm a civvy so excuse the intrusion.

Do you get annoyed by the MOD Switchboard? They never seem to have up to date numbers and their lack of knowledge is remarkable. Try asking for a RN press officer in one of the dockyards for example.

I rang today wanting to be put through to Ark Royal. "What is Ark Royal" came the reply from the call taker.

Dear God....

Dan

MostlyHarmless
28th May 2008, 14:50
Yup, I recall having a nightmare some years back

Me: Hi, can I have 11 Sqn Crewroom, please
Doris: Sorry, I have no 11 Sqn listed.
Me: You must have, RAF Leeming?
Doris: Nope, sorry, I have a 25 Sqn - will they do?
...much later...
Doris: I do have an XI squadron at Leeming...
Me: PVRs

Things have evidently improved :suspect:

scarecrow450
28th May 2008, 15:05
I asked them for the number for ATC at RAF St Athan once

'How do you spell that?'

'St At' 'No'

'8 T 3'- ATC !! Doh !:}

Melchett01
28th May 2008, 15:13
Me - Can I have the number for 5 Sqn ops, Conningsby pse?
Them - 5 Sqn doesn't exist.
Me - erm yes it does, can you check again pse.
Them - nope it definitely doesn't exist as we don't have the number
Me - I think you'll fi..........
Them - you'll have to speak up, I can't hear you.
Me - That's because 5 Sqn are flying over the top of me as we speak.:\

Good to see nothing has changed - and in answer to the original question, yes, they are bloody annoying and staffed mostly by people who have failed the Woolworths exam.

dum_my
28th May 2008, 15:28
Some years ago, my request for OC 41 Sqn, RAF Coltishall

produced a phone number for OC C4I Sqn, RAFC Cranwell.

Background Noise
28th May 2008, 15:50
They never seem to have up to date numbers and their lack of knowledge is remarkable.

And when you call from an outside/civvy line the number they give you, 'for future reference', is a GPTN number.

There was one slight flaw in the plan - it was bo11ox!

Airborne Aircrew
28th May 2008, 16:03
Actually, I found the switchboards across the British Empire to be both efficient and cordial. I spent many a happy night in GDOC at Aldergrove dialling them randomly until a sweet sounding young lass answered... If you got really lucky phone sex was an option... It doesn't sound like much but 3 months in NI does funny things to a young man's hormones... :}

Doppler High
28th May 2008, 16:34
Ah, I thought this thread was going to highlight this story, no wonder there are problems: British Telecom pay £1.75million for call-centre fraud

British Telecom has paid £1.75million in compensation for cheating taxpayers in a call-centre fraud.

Over six years its staff made more than a million "false" calls to ensure performance targets were met under a £1billion-plus contract to handle calls from Ministry of Defence bases.

As an incentive for BT to answer calls quickly, a time-specific bonus was built into the contract.

The fraud involved staff phoning themselves so that more calls were recorded as having been answered under the time allowed. Computerised '"autodiallers" were also used.

The fraud was only exposed when the contract with the MoD was renewed and led to five managers losing their jobs.

The £1.75million paid by BT to the MoD to settle the dispute includes £1.2million to cover the cost of the fake calls and of the MoD's own inquiry.

Details had been secret but were revealed in a BT memo to the MoD released under the Freedom of Information Act.

Four call centres - in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, St Helens, Lancashire, Kettering, Northamptonshire, and Dumbarton in Scotland - were involved in the MoD contract.

FantomZorbin
28th May 2008, 16:37
Do the 'operators' still have the habit of 'dropping' you on to any old number just to meet their targets?:mad:

Dialled '222' once for the Fire Section ... only to be answered in Glasgow asking all sorts of crass questions - fortunately the Section reacted before our super efficient phone service could put me through!!!!!:uhoh::mad:

That was all over a decade ago ... hopefully things have changed?

scarecrow450
28th May 2008, 21:17
No if you ring 222 still get answered in Glasgow ! and loads of questions are asked, during a practice fire it was quicker to ring the fire section first then 222.

Pie Man
28th May 2008, 21:22
Why are you only allowed to ask for one number! Needed to speak to 3 sections at one unit but was told it was MOD policy to only give you one number and I'd have to ring back for the other 2 numbers. Solution phone the first number and ask them for the other numbers - if it was a proper service you would not have to do that!

D O Guerrero
29th May 2008, 17:42
Awful, awful service of the absolute lowest order....
My personal favourite:
Me - "Can you put me through to HMS Raleigh Wardroom please?"
Op - "She's at sea"
Me - "that's surprising... she's a shore establishment"

Even more infuriating is trying to contact a ship at sea from a civvy line. It's almost impossible. A tip for anyone needing to do this though - call the Whitehall operator. They'll do it for you.

exscribbler
29th May 2008, 19:30
It's not all bad.

Some years ago I needed to contact urgently #2 son who was at sea chasing away all those nasty Spanish trawlers.

I rang the MoD to speak to the duty Commander who said he would get said son to ring me back. Ten minutes later I'm speaking with him via the ship's Satphone.

Pretty good, I thought.

Riskman
29th May 2008, 20:42
Last week a colleague was trying to call in sick and her boss's phone wasn't taking voice mail so she decided to call me. She didn't know my extension so she rang the operator who said I didn't exist. I found this out when colleague came back to work so I thought I'd ring the operator....

"Hello, can I have the number for Mr xxxx at ABC, please?"
"There's no-one with that name there"
"Yes there is, me. I can see my details on the Defence Directory and I want to know why you can't"
"I'm sorry sir, what's the Defence Directory?":ugh:

'nuff said?

Pontius Navigator
29th May 2008, 20:59
So, what is the defence directory? Why would you want your number if you already know it? Why would you need to ring yourself? Surely if you rung your number from your phone you would get the engaged tone.

Mac,

Assuming that at least one of your questions is neither rhetorical nor sarcastic

The Defence Directory may be accessed on line through the Defence Intranet. You may search for a person or a post and it will give you the unit, telephone number and email address.

Or it should.

There is a problem with DD in that it is an individual responsibility to notify the centre of your new post when you move. A further problem is that one post can only be filled by one person; this causes a problem during handover/takeover. Of course you have to have an entry to correct it.

Sad to say, many people don't realise they are in the DD and many are down by post only and not by name and post.

Riskman's point I think was obvious.

x213a
30th May 2008, 03:16
Even more infuriating is trying to contact a ship at sea from a civvy line. It's almost impossible. A tip for anyone needing to do this though - call the Whitehall operator. They'll do it for you.

Just ask to make a MENTOR service call. Then smirk with satisfaction knowing how much its costing the MOD!

Roland Pulfrew
30th May 2008, 13:29
Sad I know but.....

I used to know someone who worked for DCSA.

The reason they will only give you 1 number is because........

it's 50p per number that they give you (or it was a few years ago) so that is why they will only give you one number and make you ring back if you want another one

If you ask to be connected once they have given you the number the MOD is billed 50p for the operator to connect you.

Why? Yes you guessed it, it's in the contract. Another PFI marvel; is it any wonder we cannot afford decent kit.

Many years ago there was a great thread on PPRuNe entitled "Dial 192 and Speak to a Numpty" (IIRC). I know for a fact it was printed off and put in front of the Major General in charge of DCSA. It was full of wonderful gems, such as the person who was told there was no 'Empty Section at RAF *******" (instead of MT), however he dismissed it as exaggerated stories and that the system was working fine.

Also in the contract was that units could no longer produce their own telephone directories and the old RAF "intergalactic telephone directory", which listed all of the numbers on every station (remember having to amend that as a holding officer?) had to cease publication.:ugh:

BEagle
30th May 2008, 13:49
Thanks for the tip-offs years ago about the Dumbarton dummies and their 'call dumping' ploy to increase revenue, Roly!

It did amuse me to try to call OC101 once, only to be told he didn't exist...:\ He was most amused when I told him.

Ah - the good old days at Brawdy (1975-6) when the phones didn't even have dials. You just picked up the phone and some aged Druid connected you to the appropriate extension.

Remember when cross-country calls involved a series of progressively fainter old biddies chatting to eachother ("Central...click, click, Rothwell Haigh please, dear...click, click...Machrihanish please....click, click...."Hullooo, RAF Machrihanish here....")? And the occasional screech of "ARE YOU WORKING??!!" if you dared to pause for thought in mid-call!

A mate using this system once got pissed off when it well went dead "Ah f*ck it, the bastard telephone's gone t*ts up. Bolleaux!" he muttered to no-one in particular, only to be chastised by some vexed harpy who retorted "There's no call for language like that, young man, I'm trying to connect you!".

Dial-a-mate worked fine in the 80s and 90s. But getting rid of station operators in favour of failed burger-flippers at call centres proved a total disaster.

Thank heavens for cellphones!

Melchett01
30th May 2008, 14:35
Incidentally, does anybody know what you dial to get MOD Operator these days?

Daft question I know, but 100 / 192 are both coming up as dead / disconnected and even the Comms guys here didn't realise that was the case. Has the number changed and the MOD just not bothered to tell anyone?

Cpl Plod
30th May 2008, 14:48
I used the Mil 192 system two days ago, didn't get the number I needed :ugh:, but they did answer, you may have had a local problem.

I think it's more worrying that your local Comms people was such little help.

SirToppamHat
30th May 2008, 16:17
Melchett

Not all stations have access to 100/192 because of the cost. ISTR a few years ago it simply just stopped working at a unit I was at, and it was explained that, at a cost of £1 a call, it was cheaper to give most people outside line (0 level) access from the desktop. Of course this was done before the databases (Def Dir etc) were actually in place, so chaos ensued until we worked out that you could actually get to defence directories by dialing the 95xxx of a station that had it then 0 for the operator. I've done the same from outside the system (dialing Coltishall from home and then getting mod operator to connect me to a specific post at another station.

I also recall pointing out that all we needed was access to the same database that the BT numpties were using, but of course that too went against the contract.

The best piece of work ever done by an engineer (IMHO) was the production a couple of years ago of a sheet which gave all the access codes to get between the different systems (including secure). Particularly useful during Joint exercises and ops.

STH

exscribbler
30th May 2008, 16:27
It doesn't cost the MoD, x213a, it costs you.

It's not the Government's money but the taxpayers' money they waste on a part-time SoS, PFI, cr*p IT systems, unsuitable or non-existent kit, new kitchens, Sky subscriptions, taxis for shopping, grocery bills at Tesco, eating their way through the menu at the best Chinese in Hull (who ate all the fortune cookies?), employing family members, etc., etc., etc... :ugh:

£15K for William and Harry to attend a p*ss-up on the Island? A mere bagatelle. :E

RAF_SARGE
30th May 2008, 16:32
So much easier to simply look at each Station's on-line telephone directory via the intranet. Or is that too simple and obvious? :confused:

Pontius Navigator
30th May 2008, 18:26
So much easier to simply look at each Station's on-line telephone directory via the intranet. Or is that too simple and obvious? :confused:

Er actually yes, it is too simple.

How many messes have a convenient computer terminal in reception that you can use to access the intranet?

Have you tried to access the intranet from a PC that is not your workstation? On Dii/c it takes me about 2 hours to log on as it loads my profile. If the connection is down, forget it.

etc etc

yes, it is fine office to office but that is all.

Beatriz Fontana
30th May 2008, 18:46
Pontious, RAF_SARGE,

That's also bearing in mind that you can navigate the wretched intranet once you get on line. As Comic Book Guy would say: "Worst search engine ever."

Melchett01
30th May 2008, 21:56
STH - after much hunting around and finally getting hold of the DATO (having wasted an hour trying to find him as the number was wrong in the DDirectory / Stn phone book), it turns out the bean counters have nobbled us again.

RAF_SARGE .... erm yes tried that and wasted an hour of my time looking for the phone number of someone on my own station. The Station phone book and DDirectory is great - assuming it isn't topping the fiction list in all major bookstores as ours is. So cancelling MOD Operator calls is a bit of a problem if all the other options you're expected to use are about as accurate as a 100-1 punt on the first race at Newmarket.

RAF_SARGE
30th May 2008, 22:10
Rather than wait until you are in the mess to realise that you need a no. you could always plan ahead? :ugh:

For the technophobes among you here's the plan.....enter the name you require into Outlook and then hit Ctrl + K. A nice convenient list of surnames will then appear. Simply scoll down to your mate and right click onto properties. Hey presto the telephone number will appear before your eyes! The shock being, the GPTN number will also appear....... Now that's MAGIC

With me so far, good. Here's the clever bit, when you are chatting with your mate / mates, ask them for their mobile number. Hang on I'll repeat that as it is quite advanced for some, mobile number, and then simply store it in your phone. Coo blimey guvnor, the man's a genious.

Give me stength...............:ugh:

p.s, if you mate doesn't give you his / her no. take the hint. :rolleyes:

Champagne Anyone?
30th May 2008, 23:55
I have never and I do mean never been given a correct number from the MOD OP...

Only a couple of weeks ago, was driving from Scampton to Cranditz was running a little late so thought I would let Tutor Sqn know... Obviously on a hands free.

I called MODOP and was told Tutor sqn didnt exist... I explained it did and what it did... Was then asked who did I want to speak with only to be told xx didnt work there. Anyone else I thought, Ops desk, quiet room etc.... was told that number not listed.

Ok I thought, go for Ops instead to pass the message on... Ops didnt exist!

Go for ATC I thought...

Them 'Who In Headquarters Air Cadets did I wish to speak to?'

When I explained not that sort of ATC I was told 'well there isnt another one unless you mean the Army cadets... and we dont have a number for them'.

'Air Traffic Control at Cranwell those fellows who... oh never mind....'

Them 'Who in Air Traffic?'

Me 'I dont know who is working today..... Lets go for the admin section... I dont know anyone in admins name though... '

Them 'well with out a name I cant put you through goodbye!'

Phoned again asking to speak to a supervisor and was cut off...

I was actually in the car park outside Tutors and I still hadnt been given a number! 50 minutes later!

And this wasnt the first time they have been obstructive either!

What a waste of money they really are!! :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Dancing Bear
31st May 2008, 00:55
Ah, come on fellas, where would the sport be if you didn't have the useless MOD operators to fill your hours on the ground, think of all the other stuff you could do if you weren't wasting time with individuals who wouldn't be employed stacking shelves for Tescos as they couldn't recognise the items correct location!

No the bad old days of having station operators who new everything about thier environment, and those who worked there, could never catch on again, I mean imagine someone actually knowing what they were talking about! Lord forbid!

Of course we should really count our bleeings with the useless fools we have, the next cost cuting step will be to outsorce to an Indian call centre based in Mumbai, not that really will be interesting! My frustration is even more pointed as I do not have access to the MOD intranet whilst being posted overseas and I rely heavily on the MOD operator for (a lack of) assistance! :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Riskman
31st May 2008, 16:37
Riskman's point I think was obvious.
Thankyou Pontius, I thought better to be brief than boring, however some people have to have the alphabet laid out every time....

I phoned the MoD operator to check what contact details they had against my name and post because a colleague, who couldn't remember my ext no, had been unable to get in touch from off-site. She was told I didn't exist in their little world and I rang to find out why. The reasons are the same as for DII, JPA and numerous other out-sourced, so called "services" that cost money that was better spent by FLCs; lousy contracting.:ugh::*

Oh well that was wasted, but thanks for the informative explanation Pontious.:rolleyes:
Hopefully, Mac, you will realise now that we don't phone ourselves to see if we're in; we Dd ourselves (a bit like googling but you should only get one hit);)

Riskman
31st May 2008, 17:01
RAF_SARGE,

Your explanation re Outlook is correct yet fatally flawed in the way so many ideas are which come from people with nothing to declare but their genius.

The primary thrust of this thread was about getting sense from the MoD operator when off site ie on a train, in a car, in a desert even! Accessing Outlook assumes you are near a DII terminal. If I was near such a terminal I wouldn't need to ring the operator!:ugh:

Now here's a plan - check understanding, check again, then shoot from lip:=

awizso
31st May 2008, 20:29
I am not sure if you realise that the information the MOD Operators have is only as good as the information that's been supplied by the Station and how often it is updated. I know there are problems and I am not sticking up for them but there needs to be more education at unit level about the system.

alexmac
1st Jun 2008, 02:10
Me: 202 Sqn Ops Leconfield please

Op: Leconsbeale?

Me: Leconsfield... I spell L E C O N S F I E L D, it's in Beverly, East Yorks

Op: I'm sorry it doesn't exist...

Me: :ugh::ugh::ugh: It does, trust me... I spell again.......

Eventually got through to the mess, which was better than nothing. :rolleyes:

diginagain
1st Jun 2008, 02:42
Perhaps the poor dear was confused by the unnecessary S. An easy mistake I guess, along with the missing E From Beverley.:}

dogstar2
1st Jun 2008, 08:24
I all worked fine when we had a comcen. You could even phone a station and they would quite often know posts as well as the names of people in said posts. The new way is another classic example of how privatisation looks good on paper and is actually a retrograde step.

Now what about the Single Point of Contact. I phone the SPOC and leave a message for someone sitting on my station. I go flying and then a message is left by the person on my base telling me to phone the SPOC. I phone the SPOC and leave a message for someone sitting on my station. I go flying............ result = it is all fine if you are a rubber desk johnny but if you do a flying job (which I think is the aim of the Royal AIR Force) your computer never seems to get seen to.........

Pontius Navigator
1st Jun 2008, 08:49
I am not sure if you realise that the information the MOD Operators have is only as good as the information that's been supplied by the Station and how often it is updated. I know there are problems and I am not sticking up for them but there needs to be more education at unit level about the system.

It is a question of scale and manning, oh and change.

Scale = if there are 2000 personnel on a unit (remember both service and civilian) then may be a quarter change every year. Therefore there are 2 personnel changes per day. "It is the individual's responsibility." This may be true but it also follows that there is a huge education bill. Many people do not change in the 4 years but when they do, telling DD of their move is likely to be low down on their priority list. Far more logical for the process to be part of HRMS and the Joke Pers Admin system.

Manning = who would do the education?

Change = units are changing long established names for new forward thinking based on change being agile and adaptable and, they hope, capable. :)

Unfortunately people being people have not got a change module they can plug in to their brains. How many people talking of BSA mean CEA? How many people ask the operator for Base Support Wing or Admin Wing? A local unit renamed PSF and PMS; cleverly they retained the initials. Don't ask me what the new names were as they used the old ones in orders the other day.

Change is endemic but almost impossible to learn if you are outside the system.

Acronyms are another minefield. My colonel said that we could continue to get Defence Accomodation Stores from the same source; we thanked him but said we actually meant Directorate of Airspace Services. A contractor in Dumbarton? No chance.

Pontius Navigator
1st Jun 2008, 08:53
Pontious, RAF_SARGE,

That's also bearing in mind that you can navigate the wretched intranet once you get on line. As Comic Book Guy would say: "Worst search engine ever."

Rang the help desk.

How does your search engine work as it keeps telling me Nul Points?

She told me.

How come it can't find a document that I have on the Intranet and is displayed on my screen at the moment?

You are using the wrong search button.

Doh!

~~~~~~~

Get a spelling wrong and Google gives you the right answer and at the same time asks you if your incorrect spelling was really what you want.

If they switched to Google there would propably be a 10 year delay as the security hounds checked to make sure there were no leaks. You have to admit the intranet search engine is very secure.

Beatriz Fontana
1st Jun 2008, 14:52
You have to admit the intranet search engine is very secure.

Oh yes, can't argue that it's so secure that it keeps documents to itself!

Natalie01
7th Jan 2009, 17:24
HI ALL...
cant believe you all think bad of us when we try our best to provide a good service, i admit sometimes we dont know what some abreviations mean etc...but its not worth crying about it, and thanks to whoever it was sayin we only work there coz we failed our exam to get into woolworths...its a good job we did otherwise we'd all be out of jobs now!!

anyhows, we hope you continue to use us and be extra nice to us lol ;);)

c130jbloke
7th Jan 2009, 18:11
Natalie here is a tip for you:

Try harder.

A lot harder:}

johnny99
7th Jan 2009, 19:54
I remember a really sensible system whereby you could phone the stn operator and ask for a private call charged to your bar number. Worked at treat pre mobile phone days. Why is it when any system is "improved" the real effect is the opposite!

Pontius Navigator
7th Jan 2009, 20:04
Natalie, welcome on board. Hope you enjoy it and don't join the movers and plods.

If you don't know what I mean, you soon will ::ok:

spekesoftly
7th Jan 2009, 20:59
I remember a really sensible system whereby you could phone the stn operator and ask for a private call charged to your bar number.An "ADC" call if I remember correctly. (Advise Duration & Charge). Shortly after finishing the call, the operator would phone back with the details and then charge your mess bill as mentioned. Worked a treat.

x213a
7th Jan 2009, 22:54
We were never charged for local calls. Just used to ask for an outside line if we wanted to order some scran. Never tried phoning elsewhere although I heard many stories of 'codes' that could be dialled in that enabled phoning anywhere and bypassing the operator.

lazyrs1
7th Jan 2009, 23:36
Its pooh and dosnt work - how many times - "OK put me through to anyone in section and i will go from there"

Pontius Navigator
8th Jan 2009, 07:25
I wonder how many got hung up with the operators on the old system?:}

Remember the voice on the line, "Are you still talking?"

I would love to know just how much telephone system we really had. Was it dozens of lines and hundreds of RAF stations where as now it is hundreds of lines and less than a dozen stations (RAF that is).

SirPercyWare-Armitag
8th Jan 2009, 10:15
the Whitehall operators are excellent

I still like to think they are a collection of elderly ladies knitting away between calls, sitting in front of a row of cables and plugs

"Whitehall 1212"
"Connecting you now sir"

Rigger1
8th Jan 2009, 10:56
Being a civvie and still working closely with the military I have to use the MOD Operators on a regular basis and I can honestly say that around 50% of my calls end up going to the wrong section / station / country!

If it is too difficult for them to try and find the right number I think they just pick one and put your through, and I bet they then listen for a laugh.

PS – Sorry Natalie, you may be one of the good one’s but there are a lot who aren’t.

BEagle
8th Jan 2009, 13:44
Remember the voice on the line, "Are you still talking?"
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Yes, them were 't days. No dial-a-mate, no GPO DTMF dialling in the UK, just a collection of dear old biddies who would route your call through places such as 'Central' and 'Rothwell Haigh' and other far flung outposts of empire, with the voices getting progressively fainter as the call progressed.

If you paused for thought, as you say a voice would suddenly screech "ARE YOU WORKING??" as one of the old dears saw the line activity stop! Except for one chap who, on hearing an ominous click and the line go seemingly dead muttered "Bolleaux, this f*cking telephone is b*ggered again!" only for a matronly voice to remonstrate "There's no need to use language like that, young man!".

Wrong numbers were fun; the Taceval team once demanded that the Sqn Ops officer proved that my recall number was correct (I was on holiday in Menorca). Click, beep, click....brrr, brrr. "Tees-side Grain Company". "Err, can I speak to Flt Lt BEagle?" "Nay lad, no-one here by that name!" "Is that Menorca?" "No it's bloody not - it the f*cking Tees-side Grain Company!!". Whereupon the Taceval umpire decided that would do - and went off pi$$ing himself with laughter.

Mind you, at Brawdy in 1975-6, the only phone with a dial on it was the public call box in the Officers Mess. Which still said 'RNAS Brawdy Wardroom' on the little label inside! Everywhere else you had to pick up and wait for 'Jones the phone' to answer, then tell him the internal number you needed. If you got impatient (as Hunter pilots have been know to) and rattled the phone cradle, 'Jones' would enquire "Are you flashing?" - because apparently that was how you used the phone for emergency calls!

For a brief period, before dial-a-mate reached Europe, one trick was to ring the MoD on 86100, sound important and say "Rhein Army please"....click, buzz, click...."Rhein Army". Then "Wildenrath please" - or wherever, before getting the local operator to connect you. Always worked a treat - until I tried it to Decimomannu and ended up with some Italian on the other end who didn't speak a word of English. Fortunately there was a very nice little WRAF ATCO at Wattisham had been a nanny to an Italian family some years earlier, so we grabbed hold of her and had an interesting time relaying requests for the coming ACMI det with her waving her arms like an Italian whilst sorting out Luigi on the other end. It worked though!!

Simple fun - before the days of 't Interweb, e-mail and mobile phones.

In the early days of mobile phones, a Sqn Exec (who I shall refer to as 'Daisy' to preserve his anonymity) was loaned one of the few stations analogue Nokias on the occasion of some visit or other. He paraded around the sqn with the thing, looking so very important before going off to wherever the visit was. "If anyone needs to call me, I will be on my cellphone", he proudly announced.

This was too good an opportunity to miss. I let him get to wherever he was going before ringing the magic number. "Hello, Sqn Ldr Daisy speaking"..."Oh, hello, squire, just to let you know your merchandise has arrived". "Who is that??!!" "Come on, squire, you know who I am, it's Joe from Swedish Love Imports. The magazines you ordered, you know, the hot ones with the little girls and dogs, well, they've arrived. A pony as we arranged?" "THIS IS SQN LDR DAISY - I think you've got the wrong number!" "Err, oh, sorry squire...CLICK"

Wait 2 minutes, then ring again. "Sqn Ldr Daisy speaking". "Hello sir, tried to ring you just now but the phone was busy - just checking that the signal works OK!"

No wonder it took me so long to get promoted! Perhaps it was the note on the board 'Sqn Ldr Daisy, please ring Joe re. your Swedish merchandise' which was really to blame.

x213a
8th Jan 2009, 15:18
"Good morning, Whitehall", no matter what time the call was placed, always answered within a few seconds; was indeed a welcoming sound.

mrmrsmith
8th Jan 2009, 19:55
I've only praise for MOD London, based in Turkey looking after the Kruds (from very large USAF/trukish airbase !!! ???) in 1991 just after the Royal Marines and Dutch counter parts left, drive up to the ATREL (ex air photo/RIC boys will know) pick up a phone, instant answer "hello MOD london how can I help" GOALS line please, give number and you were speaking to family and friends. been out since 1995, intertested too know if its that easily to phone home for free now from far far away.