PDA

View Full Version : OAT Waypoint Programme

757_wannabe
28th May 2008, 09:27
I am currently nearing the end of the first ATPL module with Bristol and currently contemplating where i will continue the rest of my training after i pass (hopefully) the exams. My mate is doing groundschool only with OAT just now and says he thinks he is going to do the waypoint programme with them. Although it states you have to go groundschool with AOT do eneter the course i am informed this wont be a problem providing they like me and i meet the appropriate requiremtns. Basically was wondering if anybody is/has been on this programme and what they think of it?

thanks

heli_port
28th May 2008, 09:40
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192089&highlight=oaa+waypoint
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194238&highlight=oaa+waypoint
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=309764&highlight=oaa+waypoint

many many more if you do a search ;)

bajadj
28th May 2008, 10:34
I have had at least 4 of my oaa groundschool instructors giving me the advice ranging from "I would look elsewhere for the flight training" to "you must be mad to even consider waypoint". Consequently this OAA modular student will be going elsewhere for his flight training.

Crap old planes, too many students, 30 - 50% more expensive than elsewhere.

geordiejet
28th May 2008, 10:43
Whitney dressed a Britney springs to mind :hmm:

flymetothemoon06
28th May 2008, 13:36
I did my groundschool at OAA and I was warned about doing the Waypoint by not only previous students but also several instructors, and against advice, I stayed to do the CPL with the intention of continuing on with the IR back in the UK. My experience wasn't good to say the least, with a mix of bad instructors and poor organisation I left before completing the course and have started my IR elsewhere. For the cost of the course I found the training shocking and I spoke to the head of training several times experssing my concerns but nothing was done. My advice is take your money elsewhere as being a modular student you will not get treated well at OAA. Harsh but true I am afraid. As with anything there are many success stories with the Waypoint programme, but you could get much better hands on training by a smaller organisation and at a faster pace than you would going to Oxford.

I must add though that it is a requirement that you have completed the groundschool with OAA in order to do the Waypoint programme. Good luck whatever route you choose.

rons22
28th May 2008, 19:23
Also think about what happens after the course. If you come from small unknown schools, your CV will end up in the bin most of the time.
If I was doing it on the cheap, I'd do CPL/IR/ME in Spain (cheaper/nice weather) and buy type rating after.
Be aware that if you start your training in the UK, you can't go abroad unless you redo the course completely.

Contrary to what's said above, my instructors told me if they had a second chance, they would have gone to OAT. I'd have done too. Cheaper is cheaper for a reason.
:ok:

BerksFlyer
28th May 2008, 19:33
Contrary to what's said above, my instructors told me if they had a second chance, they would have gone to OAT. I'd have done too. Cheaper is cheaper for a reason.

Not always. They probably charge more because they can based on their reputation. But ask yourself where that reputation comes from - it isn't modular training.

bajadj
28th May 2008, 20:58
"Be aware that if you start your training in the UK, you can't go abroad unless you redo the course completely."

absolute and complete garbage.

Rhodes13
28th May 2008, 21:06
If you come from small unknown schools, your CV will end up in the bin most of the time.

Really so why has Oxford sent most of its students to RYR this year. I would be thrilled about spending all that money to spend more to buy a type. A 150 hour whizz kid is the same no matter what school they come from.

Tell me do Oxford do their own exams or is it still a CAA CPL/IR at the end? The way some people carry on here I would have though oxford train astronauts.

Heed the wise words of delays and poor service.

chrisbl
29th May 2008, 19:52
When doing my modular brush up course at Oxford, an instructor said to forget doing the Waypoint programme but to go back to Oxford after the CPL/IR for the MCC which was good.

Another TD
3rd Jun 2008, 13:16
I was given the same advice whilst on a recent brush up course at OAA. Ground school OAA,cpl/ir else-where then MCC back at OAA.Thats the route I am taking, bet I will have to pay for a type rating which ever route I take.

Bear in mind that 41 integrated OAA have gone to Ryan this year which suggests they cant get work unless they pay for a type rating. This further suggests that waypoints in today’s market will not get you far, so maybe fly cheaply elsewhere to allow surplus for the type training.

Have to say the brush up courses where very good and the MCC facilities and training look first class.Cant wait.

captain_rossco
4th Jun 2008, 17:11
In Arizona with OAA at the moment, Have been happy beginning to end. Groundschool was well taught and the quality of training out in Goodyear has been exceptional. The standards are high but workload is structured and consistent. I for one am glad to have made the decision.
I am well aware how good the likes of BFC and others may be, but after adding on MCC, JOC and exams costs, the few grand difference is negligable. Oxford offer a high hours flying programme compared to some other providers.
To those OAA students sat at home slating the place, get your f***ing heads down, do some work, and focus on whats best for you, rather than making other people's minds up. You ain't here, so I'm afraid you just can't comment.

Regards

CR

Another TD
4th Jun 2008, 17:27
Whats with the expletives?
Nobody has slated OAA on this thread, it's an excellent school. we have stated comments made by instructors and given examples of our personal choice and thats it.If money was not an issue I would be in Arizona as well but I need to save the cash for a type rating.

captain_rossco
4th Jun 2008, 21:22
Nobody has slated OAA? Oky cokey, maybe I am purely inventing what meaning should be extrapolated from the above threads. When i say, get your f***ing heads down I mean Oxford shows little relent for people who are afraid of hard graft, and it's usually those same people that get on here whining.
My two penny worth: I'm on the waypoint programme and it's working. The constant chat about the quality of the course from those that are not partaking is speculative nonsense.

Regards

CR

bajadj
4th Jun 2008, 21:45
The only person whining rosco is you. Everybody else is giving opinion. My opinion is that the planes are old. I don't have to be in arizona to see this as the seneca's used for I.R. training ARE old. My other point was that the course is more expensive than elsewhere. It IS!

By the sounds of his post flymetothemoon was on waypoint, therefore his opinion is just as valid as yours.

Both of us have pointed out that numerous oxford groundschool instructors have advised their students not to do waypoint. I can assure you from personal experience this is fact. You are obviously happy with waypoint and I'm happy for you. I was not happy with aspects of my time at oaa during groundschool and will not be continuing to train there. I fail to see why you are getting so het up about people given their opinions on a forum for opinions.

Suggesting that myself and others who don't kiss oxfords arse are afraid of hard graft is just stupid. You have to graft just as hard at any other fto, oxford isn't special, just expensive.

Adios
4th Jun 2008, 22:49
Rossco,

Did OAA's instructors routinely tell you that you shouldn't do the flying at OAA? I wonder if they only give that advice to students they are fond of and just let those they dislike suffer the rampant injustices of Waypoint.

XL319
4th Jun 2008, 23:20
The FTO's would fill you with whatever you want to hear if it means getting your hard earned cash. Shop wisely!!! I have and still equal to other people :oh: No snobbery here

captain_rossco
5th Jun 2008, 00:13
Good point Adios,

I suspect certain instructors are briefed with regards to asking weaker students not to bother with waypoint. What FTO's are providing new Seneca 5's for chumps to clatter into the runways? Oxford are by no means behind in the A/C stakes. Please, please someone talk about shiny new Diamond twinstars, I will spend all afternoon laughing, I really will.

Regards

CR

EK4457
5th Jun 2008, 07:50
Having never even been through the front door at OAA, I can't comment on their training. However, I'm sure it very good. I've only ever heard of high standards.

Ths problem that some have (and I must agree) is that OAA's waypoint is significantly more expensive than any other modular course.

Example:

My course costs:

CPL: £4900
MEP: £2100
IR: £11300

Total: £18,300

OAA's waypoint: £27,000 :eek:

Thats £8700 more expensive! Or, nearly 50%.

For that, they have the audacity to ship you out to the USA where the cost of flying is peanuts. If you want to stay in the UK (a much fairer comparison) they don't even give you the price. You have to apply for a (much more expensive) quote.

The fact is that the extra costs cannot be justified (IMHO). If even OAA instrucors are saying this, then take note.

But we live in a free economy. If nobody want's to go then they'll withdraw the course. The fact that it's still there shows some think it's worth it :ugh:

EK

heli_port
5th Jun 2008, 10:19
I suspect certain instructors are briefed with regards to asking weaker students not to bother with waypoint.

From my limited experience of OAA so far i have found them to be very honest and open. I think if they suspected for one second that you are not waypoint material they would tell you so offically rather than letting a few instructors drop the bombshell :=

;)

captain_rossco
6th Jun 2008, 01:18
Was a bit of a jibe, yes I'm sorry, I'm almost sure of it.

Regards

CR

Another TD
6th Jun 2008, 08:18
Continue to make inaccurate opinions and hoist your flag of self importance, but remember BA will not look at your CV when you have completed your course.... in BA's view you are no different to any other modular student from any other school.
Mind you that could change if a certain recruitment manager moves on from his position. BA did employ a modular student from Oxford in 2001 but since the new chap has been in charge the doors have closed despite same instruction, aircraft, facilities and training reports as integrated.

nmcpilot
13th Jun 2008, 21:16
Don't know if this has been mentioned but the guy at the beginning said he was doing Bristol distance learning, you can't be on the modular waypoint programme unless you do distance learning or the residential ground school through Oxford. Am on the Waypoint programme atm.

heli_port
14th Jun 2008, 06:54
and what are you're thoughts on the program so far nmcpilot :confused:

nmcpilot
14th Jun 2008, 13:19
Erm, It's a good course, basically you have the option of doing the CPL in Arizona or doing the CPL in the UK. It's cheaper in the US than the UK and at Oxford they just have all senecas and only like 2 warriors so I decided to stick with Arizona.

Not really what I expected from a CPL/ME to be honest, I expected to be transitting busy airspace, complex navs etc etc which is basically how I prepared for the CPL with my hour building.

However being out here it seems I am not even going to request a single air traffic service, the navs are in my opinion too simple, they are sometimes a bit difficult because they give you something small to find, but basically the winds are usually so calm that the drift is hardly noticable and all you ever do is speak on a practice area frequency, then call up tower when joining back or unicom wherever you are landing.

I've just moved from the Warrior onto the Seneca (Oxford have like 40 warriors but only 8 Senecas) and these things atm seem to go tech every 5minutes yesterday all 8 were tech.

OAT or OAA as they are now called really want to rush you through it so you are pretty flat out the whole time.

The reason I stuck with Oxford after groundschool was purely because at a Ryanair seminar I attended speaking to the recruitment manager there he said that if he sees Oxford on your CV its an instant tick for him (in those words) and if this is the case then OAA is worth the money but apart from that you don't get any kind of better training or anything.

Airlines also say that if you are a modular student they prefer you to be 'one stop' basically meaning try and keep your training down to as few schools as possible, like if you did your CPL at one school, then your IR at another then the MCC at another etc etc. Basically so they only have to call up one person to ask them about you instead of like 4 different ones.

But in essence you are paying double the amount you'd pay for somewhere else for the same quality of training. It's like buying a plain white shirt, then buying a plain white shirt that came from the same sweat shop but has Ralph Lauren sewn onto it. Both the same except one costs alot more lol. :P

nmcpilot
14th Jun 2008, 13:29
Oh and just to add, the price for the Waypoint has risen to over 30k now for CPL/IR and MCC and probably what they might leave out is that if you fail to do the training in the allotted time you have to pay over 400 quid per hour to rent a seneca so you really have to get your head down, also I'm not sure what other FTO's give you in their package but you don't get any p1 time at all with Oxford its all P/UT so for myself I am going to have to do additional hour building and my 300nm cross country to get to the 100 p1 (I have 70 now) before I can get my licenses issued.

Daniel777
1st Sep 2008, 11:36
Hey there,

I currently have an Icao PPL.
So at the end do you guys think it is worth to complete the Waypoint with Oxford or is it a better decision to do these with a smaller FTO such as PAT,Bonus or PFT?
Considering costs and employment opportunities...

Thanks alot:ok:

speedrestriction
1st Sep 2008, 22:07
The question which needs to be asked here is how many modular students have OAA recommended to airlines in the past 6 months? If it is anything less than 50% I would suggest there is no benefit in choosing OAA over any other reputable flight school. Save your money, go somewhere small and maybe have enough money left over for a FI course to keep you flying until things pick up again. I agree with previous posters: The groundschool and the MCC/JOC are top notch. The stuff in between is average mainly due to there being little spare capacity to absorb normal problems (tech a/c, bad wx etc) in the flying schedule.

sr

captain_rossco
2nd Sep 2008, 10:35
Speed resriction's post is SPOT on, and I mean, very accurate. The instruction at OAA is second to none, but for all I know it's probably near that standard everywhere else too. I am at OAA, it's all fine and dandy, but paying over £30k to be told there are no jobs is alot harder a pill to swallow than only having spent £20k (or even less). Oxford students, modular and int have been getting jobs with good success prior to the slow down, I suspect when things begin to pick up again it may be that one stop mod and int students are back at the top of the pile. (I hope)