PDA

View Full Version : Start out flying school by taking JAA ATPL first. Possible?

eikido
28th May 2008, 06:39
Hello everyone.
Was just wondering.
I'm going to start a flying school in about 1 year and was wondering if i can start out today by taking the JAA ATPL theory? What do i need to be able to start JAA ATPL School?
I was thinking of taking the JAA ATPL in England.

Regards
Eikido

geordiejet
28th May 2008, 06:57
Hi Eikido.

You will need an ICAO PPL before you can start your course.

I beleive your ATPL provider will want to see your licence (or at least know your licence number) before they will send you the course material.

Regards,
GJ.

BHenderson
28th May 2008, 07:21
Just buy the manuals and material from the provider and once you have your ICAO PPL you can register as having started the course.

eikido
28th May 2008, 08:13
Ok something very important.
I can buy the oxford atpl JAA books very very cheap from a friend.
All books for around $300. However the revision is from 2007.
Will revision 2007 qualifiy if i want to take the course around year 2010?
Will they be to old?
I was thinking of starting flying school around 2009 and take atpl jaa 2010.

Regards
Eikido

potkettleblack
28th May 2008, 08:53
Unfortunately there is no money to be saved in what you plan on doing. When you enrol for a course you are paying for the manuals, progress tests, revision classes etc. It is unlikely that you can negotiate a discount from a school having already obtained another set of books. In fact the school is likely to say that it is obligated under its licence to give you their books as they have been audited and approved by the relevant aviation authority. Also if you end up with books from another school then it will mess you about being taught another syllabus or method.

In the whole scheme of things the ATPL theory is a minor cost.

geordiejet
28th May 2008, 09:03
I guess if you have the books, and make an effort to read them - and then hit the question banks, by the time you get to enrolling, you will be ready for the exams very quickly.

Your knowledge will also be above that of your average PPL when it comes to taking the course.

no sponsor
28th May 2008, 09:05
No harm in getting ahead of the game in reading material before you start a course. However, I would recommend you study the PPL groundschool first, if you are going to do a PPL. If you are going to an ab-initio course, then you could read - Mechanics of Flight by A. Kermode. Also a meteorology book for pilots, and maybe The Naked Pilot (I forget the authors name). These are easy reads. Some ATPL theory can be quite dry, and it's hard to get through, particularly if you are doing it in your spare time, so pick some well written books which will make it a bit more fun.

Of course, you already have a class 1 medical?

eikido
28th May 2008, 09:09
Thanks for the respond everyone.
I didn't know that about the books. I thought i could just buy used ones:)
Btw, I don't have a medical test yet.
I've never had a problem before, so i shouldn't fail it. BUT, you never know.
However $300 for the books is not dangerous even if i never start flying.
:) I'm WAS willing to take the risk. But now i will not buy them thanks to you. :)

Regards
Eikido

whiskey1
29th May 2008, 00:34
My advice would be DON"T.
I have had students previously who have read through the ATPL material before getting a PPL and found it creates problems in Understanding. Asked this student,"What happens if you increase the Angle of Attack"? Had the student tying themselves in knots about stability and Pitching moments. All I wanted was Lift will increase if below the stalling angle.
Let your lecturers teach you, thats what they are there for. If you don't want a head start make sure you know your PPL Theory backwards and can use a Flight computer.

W1

eikido
29th May 2008, 06:07
Ok everyone thanks for the help i appreciate it.
You made me think in a new track.
It helps.
Thing is. I should not have any problems with theory. I just finished 5,5 years of studying civil engineer (mechanical engineer) and been working for around 6 months with the subject.

Eikido