PDA

View Full Version : MEP Currency

smith
27th May 2008, 13:04
Is it necessary to keep your MEP current when applying for airline jobs. A few people I have spoken to seem to think it is unnecessary and just have to keep the multi IR current.

MIKECR
27th May 2008, 14:17
Nope not necessary at all. All you need is the IR current to start the TR course.

You will inevitably get a new rating after your first type - ie a Multi Turbine etc.

Im sitting in 2 hold pools just now and so longs my IR and medical are current then hunky dory. My MEP rating expired months ago.

portsharbourflyer
27th May 2008, 14:30
Correct. To start at type rating you will only need a valid ME/IR you won't need a current or valid MEP.

However last year there was talk of introducing an alternate rule that if the IR renewal or revalidation was done in the sim then the next renewal or revalidation would have to be done on the aircraft. The following renewal can then be done in the sim, therefore subsequent renewals / and or revalidations have to alternate between the aircraft and sim.

Therefore when renewing the ME/IR in the aircraft you can at the same time get the MEP signed off hence if the new rule is introduced/implemented you will by default be renewing the MEP every second IR renewal.

There was alot of talk about this last year but I never found out if this rule was ever implemented (since obtained a multi crew IR so didn't need to renew the SPA IR hence not sure about the rule change).

Canada Goose
27th May 2008, 15:01
The rule most certainly has been implemented !

Last May my MEP/IR had expired by a couple of weeks, if that, and although I had done it the previous year in a twin, I had to do it in a twin again. Once it's expired it's classed as a renewal, not a revalidation. This year I revalidated it 1 week before it expired but because it was done in the plane last year I was able to renew in a sim !!