PDA

View Full Version : 905 Expeditionary Air Wing

Ian Swanston
27th May 2008, 03:25
Looking for information on 905 Expeditionary Air Wing not a lot said in RAF web pages. 904 gets its own area

BasilTFox
27th May 2008, 12:10
And you are?

LateArmLive
27th May 2008, 18:04
I'd hazard a guess that he's Ian Swanston...........

Hangar_9
27th May 2008, 19:22
.....A Member of the Virtual Royal Air Force who is doing some virtual research :8 :cool:

Ian Swanston
28th May 2008, 00:35
Some one who can at least put his name on a forum without having to hide behind an alias for fear of reprisal and ridicule for dumb comments. And yes a member of RAFv Doing virtual research yes a nerd you may call me
And having now retired from a life time of military and civil aviation have nothing better to do with all my spare time. It’s a simple request for general knowledge information only.

eagle 86
28th May 2008, 04:40
IS,
You will get used to it - there are some real d1ckheads who lurk amongst this and other proon forums!!
GAGS
E86

Mr C Hinecap
28th May 2008, 05:25
Well then Ian. If you have that former experience, you will understand PERSEC and other such needs, especially in this day and age - so posting with your own name does not always make you bigger or better than the pseudos here.

You may not be aware that posting a 1-line request for information on an operational EAW on this board made you look like a 'journo' (no disrespect to those here who are) and got the reaction it did.

Army Mover
28th May 2008, 09:24
Looking for information on 905 Expeditionary Air Wing not a lot said in RAF web pages. 904 gets its own area

This may help:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/TornadosShowMilitaryCommitmentToTodaysFalklands.htm

StopStart
28th May 2008, 09:49
Ah...the Expeditionary Air Wing... Better known as the Imaginary Air Wings. These structures have been instrumental in ensuring that any small, efficient, happy RAF detachment will rapidly spiral into despair and thence up it's own arse upon it's arrival. They provide for core RAF facilities such as meetings, H&S posters, hat and shirt regulation/enforcement, enormous and expansive arrival/departure briefings for personnel all of whom have been there longer/more frequently than those giving the briefs and for generally ensuring that anything that made yet another 5 weeks in the desert more painless is stamped on.

Sorry, I've gone off on one. Basically, they are superb examples of quite how big the tail that wags the dog has become. But then you didn't ask what they were - it just an excuse for me to rail against one of my big hates :ok:

Back to the original thread - BasilTFox, you ask who the poster is. A suitable reposte would be "who the f**k are you with your 1 post?" Unless of course you hold some massively overinflated post within the 905 IAW that involves you reading the internet all day? Sounds like the sort of bollocks IAW's generally come up with. Get back to the FI.

Bit of a rant that. Brilliant. Now I can go to work.

PS. Ian, as retired aviator just happily wasting time on t'internet I somehow doubt you're going to picked off by snipers or bundled in a wagon and held hostage in Baghdad for a year. Still you never know. You be careful now ;)

Hangar_9
28th May 2008, 10:09
"During the gruelling 17-hour flight between RAF Brize Norton and RAF Mount Pleasant aboard a MOD-charted Boeing 747, the boredom is relieved only by warmed-up meals and even more tepid films fuzzily projected onto screens with 1970s technology"

Whats happened to the Daily VC flights :hmm:

IS A&AEE,ETPS ,Brooklands OPTICA & Qantas
S.L.A.M.E. Q.A.N.T.A.S.Retired.

Gainesy
28th May 2008, 10:49
Better known as the Imaginary Air Wings.:)

A close relation to the oft touted "Naval Air Wing" of what, six bouncy jets?

Whitehall Wankspeak at its finest.:yuk:

Al R
28th May 2008, 11:36
StopStart,

:ok:

.. for making me guffaw.

Melchett01
28th May 2008, 11:50
Gainsey -

Now that the Fleet Air Arm is more of a sprained wrist than a clunking fist, I think you'll find that to fit in with the expeditionary theme, the RN has moved to EWWs - Expeditionary Water Wings.

Gainesy
28th May 2008, 12:34
There's something there about sprained wrists and too much time at sea but...:)

airborne_artist
28th May 2008, 12:44
There's something there about sprained wrists and too much time at sea but...

Which is why the good Lord gave all sailors two wrists, and why Captain Hook often felt a bit grumpy :E