PDA

View Full Version : OSL recommendation

Sober Lark
26th May 2008, 22:05
Traveling with young family DUB - OSL - LYR. Flight timings entail a 5 hour afternoon wait in Oslo. Traveling economy but we are fortunate to have Star Alliance Gold but not sure of lounges. Any restaurant recommendations or other tips to pass the time from members familiar with this airport would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sober Lark

Notso Fantastic
27th May 2008, 09:15
OSL Gardermoen airport is about 25 miles from Oslo City. The train apparently costs £35 return. Prices are extortionate, especially taxis. Although a large airport, facilities are limited. There is a small kiddies play area at Arrivals. Nothing is worth buying in Duty Free. There are numerous expensive small food outlets. The best thing for the kids is handcuffs and gags and colouring books. Don't go without Ipod (on loud) and PSP, though your wife may not speak to you again.

AvroLincoln
27th May 2008, 21:58
This is the Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection, located at the other side of Gardermoen airport next to a long term car park, to which (free?) buses travel often. If, like me, you are into aircraft museums, that one is well worth a visit - I've been there twice (driving 4 1/2 hours from Gothenburg each time) which probably shows how much I like it!

Notso Fantastic
27th May 2008, 22:13
The buses are not free! About 50 Kronor which is about £6 for a 10 minute ride to the side of the airlfield. Bus stop B25 Bus S44 runs every 20 minutes to the Clarion Hotel or the other hotel (can't remember the name) which are both very close to the museum (it's behind the Clarion). Opening hours of the museum are 12-4pm Thursday-Sunday at this time of year. You don't need to change any money into Norwegian, absolutely everywhere takes cards, for everything.

Sober Lark
28th May 2008, 09:31
Thanks Notso Fantastic & AvroLincoln your replies are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sober Lark

fyrefli
29th May 2008, 20:04
If you decide to go into Oslo itself, the local trains take five to ten minutes longer than the Flytoget (the Airport Express), as they stop in Lillestrom, but are roughly half the cost. There are plenty of interesting places walkable from the main station and the trains are regular and reliable, so you could easily have two hours in Oslo without too much risk.

If you stay in the airport I'd agree that, largely, the Duty Free isn't much cop (different story if you're staying in Norway) but everything else is so expensive that it can make sense to buy stuff like chocolate and drinks there and then consume them!!

Oh, Gardemoen is utterly crap for vegetarians (although not as bad as Stavanger Sola). This is not true of Norway generally (well, not Oslo or Rogaland, with which I'm familiar, anyway).