PDA

View Full Version : Jaa Cpl (h) Self Study

pamphletboy
26th May 2008, 19:19
Hope this question hasn't been asked before but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know if it is possible to study the CPL course independent of a flight school? It seems so easy to do the FAA course this way i.e. to buy software for really cheap or a booklist and just take the exams at a nationwide system of computer centres. Any answers for this greatly appreciated!

KrisRamJ
27th May 2008, 03:43
Hi

Can't do it for JAA I'm afraid, the syllabus just isn't structured in the same open way that the FAA is, and JAA can be fiendishly complex so even if you could do it, it would be tough.

Your best bet for something like this is Bristol Ground School - they have a very cool JAA self study modular program, see www.bristol.gs

Kris

Whirlygig
27th May 2008, 06:14
It is a JAA requirement that there is a classroom element to the studying and that a certain number of hours self-study are undertaken. By enrolling with a flight school and following their structure, this requirement is met.

As a note, Bristol do not do CPL(H) ground, only ATPL(H). The CPL(H) providers are CAPT, Atlantic (Interim system i.e. fixed wing bias) and Dragon.

Cheers

Whirls

rudestuff
27th May 2008, 07:41
It is possible - if you have an equivalent ICAO licence already - then you need to complete 'training as required' not the full course.

rudestuff
27th May 2008, 08:29
Yup. Lasors D4.5

pamphletboy
27th May 2008, 22:25
Thanks a lot everyone - very helpful!

Billywizz
30th May 2008, 09:00
i.e. to buy software for really cheap or a booklist and just take the exams

You know what's coming next!

Where can I get cheap flying,
can I get away with less hours,
How do I get a really well paid job,
I will work for free

Yawn

MrEdd
30th May 2008, 15:32
Dont know it this is of any help, but here is a QB of all the JAA written questions. Think you can order the books and/or software program.
Know of some people that found it wery usuefull in their study.

http://aviationexam.com/index.php?action=conv

Cheers

Keep the bartender side up:cool:

pamphletboy
30th May 2008, 22:48
Thanks for the responses. I think I will go with CAPT - They look like a quality outfit with good instructors and a flexible schedule!

murdock
31st May 2008, 04:14
I am in the middle of doing my JAA CPL(H) with Dragon. As far as I know, you have to do the learning with a school, otherwise who is gonna sign you off for the exams in Gatwick or wherever you do them?

However I was told that if you have an ICAO ATPL(H) then it wasn't necessary to complete the required ground school, that you could sit the exams, upon request to the CAA, with copies of your license. If you are going for the JAA ATPL(H) then again, you have to do it with a school. All a bit bull ****ty, but such is life.

Also, as far as I can remember, for the FAA exams didnt you have to get an instructor to sign you off for sitting the exams? I wouldnt just sign off any random person that wanted to do the exams.

There is also a rumor that EASA has already written the new exams for the new CPL(H), A lot less useless material, which from having two other ICAO CPL(H) licenses, I have to say the JAA course material is a complete joke! However, it would seem there isnt a school yet that has put together a course for it. Might be a year or two, who knows.

paco
31st May 2008, 08:56
Actually, we are ready for the new syllabus - as much as possible is in our present notes, but the rest is ready and waiting to be submitted.

The new CPL(H) is going to be a lesser academic standard - about the same as the present CPL(A)

If you have an ICAO ATPL(H) and 1000 hours on a multi-crew helicopter you are exempt formal ground school. You just tick the exemption box on the applcation form. However, you would still be wise to do some exam prep. Altough, as you mentioned, you are doing the CPL(H), so I'm not sure off the top of my head whether the multi-crew time still applies.

Checking.....

Phil