PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL --> JAA CPL = What exactly???

Biz
26th May 2008, 15:55
Good evening.

Is there somebody out there who could clear something up for me please, once & for all??!

I have just passed my UK CPL skills test on the basis of my FAA PPL licence, but do not have the requisite 100 P1 nor 200 total for issue from the CAA. Therefore, I need to finish off around 10 hours in the UK asap.
However, what do I currently possess? A FAA PPL still or a UK CPL? Will I be renting a G reg a/c on the basis of my FAA licence or my UK CPL pass? Indeed, is it possible to rent a G-reg ac in the UK on a FAA PPL - I have read contradictory posts on this?

Apologies if this is a base question.... Sometimes the brain doesn't respond :}

Thanking you in advance.

Shunter
26th May 2008, 15:59
An FAA PPL is perfectly acceptable for flying in the UK in a G-reg aircraft. Any flying school/club who say different need to read the rulebook!

Passing the test isn't the same as having the license. Many would grumble that it should be, but that's the way it is I'm afraid.

Keygrip
26th May 2008, 16:25
If you've read contradictorary posts on this particular question - what is the value of posting the same question? Which answer are you going to believe?

It doesn't come too far down the list of "Not Rocket Science" but when you admit that you have neither the P1 requirements, nor the total flight time requirements, for the issue of a UK CPL, what angle are you coming from when you ask However, what do I currently possess? A FAA PPL still or a UK CPL?

You have an FAA PPL. All Shunters comments apply - act now before somebody posts a contradictory message.

TelBoy
26th May 2008, 22:34
There is no problem flying G reg in UK airspace on an FAA PPL. Just remember you do need the US FCC certificate to use the radio, the UK RT licence is no good if you are using an FAA licence.

The FCC certificate can be got through their website for $60.

Keygrip
27th May 2008, 04:36
the UK RT licence is no good if you are using an FAA licence.

That's a very bold statement, Telboy. You have a text reference for that?