PDA

View Full Version : Extended project AS level

F/O UFO
26th May 2008, 11:22
Not really sure where to post this thread, but here goes...

This year I'm starting an extended project AS level (rather than having to do general studies). I'm planning on doing it on something aviation related; hopefully to show off to flight schools/ airlines to the future than I have a genuine interest and really comitted to wanting to be a pilot.

I'm just looking for some ideas as to what to do the project on. It's quit an open-ended thing; ie I could write a report, build a model, do a presentation etc...

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

lovezzin
26th May 2008, 12:06
its good you are thinking about your future at an early age, but i think whatever you do, it wont hold too much weight in impressing them. But, perhaps you could chose a NACA airfoil profile of your choice; model it and derive the wing performance from force measurements from a low speed wind tunnel. hopefully ending up with the wing lift curve slope.

Or, if you dont have access/motivation to build all that eqipment, just do a theory report on the effect of downwash on the local flow over a local airfoil section of a finite wing.

both are relatively simple and out of any projects you could do these are possible more weight-worthy. Either way, you are a mug for doing general studies!!!

BerksFlyer
26th May 2008, 13:10
lovezzin,

Unfortunately at many schools it is compulsary to take General Studies at AS as part of an 'enrichment program' ie. an extra AS on top of the standard 4.

F/O UFO
27th May 2008, 08:21
thanks lovezzin. and yes, I do HAVE to do either an extended project or god forbid general studies!

I'm not sure i'd have the facilities to test an aerofoil in a wind tunnel.

anymore ideas?