PDA

View Full Version : I heard a rumour.....

Fast but Safe
25th May 2008, 18:38
That all NATO countries get 80Euro/£80 per person per day while they're serving in Afghanistan. I also hear that some counties give that allowance to the guys and gals straight in the pocket.

The money apparently comes from a big pot that all countries put into.

Any thoughts/comments/info?

FbS

snowball1
25th May 2008, 18:52
How many times does this get dug up!

general all rounder
25th May 2008, 19:15
Do some proper research (and this is really important), do your sums over the whole of your career and beyond and you will note why the UK military's deal is significantly better than those of our EU counterparts.

To any Treasury civil servants looking in - we deserve a better deal than our EU counterparts because we do more, a lot more; I agree it is a shame that some of our people don't understand but that is no reason to punish them.

Fast but Safe
25th May 2008, 19:23
Sorry snowball1, I didn't know that this topic has been talked about many times on here. If you can post the links I would be gratefull.

General all rounder, you seem to contradict yourself by saying we get a better deal and then say we deserve a better deal. Or am I missing something? I agree with your last paragraph though.

FbS

Biggus
25th May 2008, 20:14
I don't know about NATO, but any country contributing troops to the UN gets paid for it. Some pass this on to the troops, some keep it for their treasury (e.g the UK).

This UN funding for troops is a major source of income for some African/Asian governments - which is why you often find UN troops coming from these countries!

The Helpful Stacker
25th May 2008, 20:20
Ah this old chestnut came up in the early years of Bosnia and I seem to recall the duty rumour response from the government was along the lines of "the British Armed Forces are not mercenaries and as such only allowance in line with UK guidelines will be paid to them" or some such waffle.

VinRouge
26th May 2008, 09:21
Its ok though, YOUR money is getting spent on hug-a-hoodie schemes, benefits to allow reverse evolution of the chav generation, and billions to be blown up the ****ter on the NHS.

I think I would prefer the 80 euros per day in my back pockets thanks! :mad:

StopStart
26th May 2008, 09:42
Having spent many a long hour yarning in the bars of Kabul with the various NATO types there, it is true that they do indeed receive big wodges of cash from NATO. There was an Air Trafficer (eastern euro, now Nato type) who was desperately trying to extend his 6 month stay. His usual salary of $1000 odd back home had been inflated to about $4000 with Nato pay and, strangely, he didn't want that to stop...

The Govt line on UN money is as stated by THS above - we're not mercenaries etc. It's worth pointing out however, that the UN still pay this money to UK Plc. The Govt then just spend it on the usual dross we've all come to know and love.

Quote from a random article about Ukrainian UN work in Sierra Leone....

In general, participation in U.N. peacekeeping operation is a moneymaking venture for both the countries that participate and the soldiers that are sent.

The United Nations provides all the supplies needed for each peacekeeping force, everything from uniforms, helmets and ammunition to food, shelter, spare parts and gasoline. In addition, every country receives $990 in hard cash monthly for each soldier taking part in the peacekeeping operation.

While Ukrainian officers receive from $800 to $900 from this amount, the typical soldier makes about $500. The balance stays in Kyiv's coffers. But that is only the tip of the iceberg, because the United Nations also pays compensation for use of technology. In sum, Ukraine has received some $80 million from the United Nations for its eight years of involvement in peacekeeping operations.

cliver029
26th May 2008, 09:43
Helpfull Stacker

"Ah this old chestnut came up in the early years of Bosnia and I seem to recall the duty rumour response from the government was along the lines of "the British Armed Forces are not mercenaries and as such only allowance in line with UK guidelines will be paid to them" or some such waffle."

So....... the Government can screw us to EU rules when it suits them and ignore them when it errrr would benefit the people on the ground.:ugh:

Cliver029

Dan Winterland
26th May 2008, 10:35
My bro in law was a pilot in the Italian Army. He received his UN pay as an allowance when on UN operations.

spectre150
26th May 2008, 11:39
StopStart - bizarrely I was having a similar conversation this morning that confirms your figures. A capt in an ex East euro now NATO army told me he gets around $1400 per month back home and $4800 per month out here in the land of a thousand splendid suns (the figures are after taxes and deductions).

Tigger_Too
26th May 2008, 11:44
Big difference between NATO and UN operations. UN does indeed pay, but I can assure you that NATO does not. The cost of deploying forces on a NATO-led Op, including pay and allowances, lies with the sending nation.

Tigger_Too
26th May 2008, 14:59
The Cloggie Gp Capt equivalent would be a RNlAF Colonel then. He may get additional pay from the NL, but he certainly does not get it from NATO. Tax is a national business, so again that would be a NL decision. When the UK participates in a UN Op, the UK gets the money. Unlike some nations, they choose not to pass it on to you.

Impiger
26th May 2008, 16:16
What a load of misleading drivel! Tigger_Too is spot on - NATO as an organisation does not pay any national military personnel any bonuses, or salaries. I can guarantee that as I used to be heavily involved with UK budgets in NATO. They do employ civilians who are international ex-pats but that's another story. So the common NATO pot does not bolster the NL colonel or anybody elses take home pay. Many individual nations pay operational pay, NATO pay, etc but that is a national issue.

The UN do reimburse as noted by some commentators. For some nations this is good news for the UK it all goes into Mr Darling's accounts.

Mr C Hinecap
26th May 2008, 17:31
There is a central pot that pays for the travel of troops when on NATO business, but anything else came directly from the sending nation - including accommodation, rates and anything else. Yes - some nations do give them more for ops - but that is national business.