PDA

View Full Version : A Helicopter 'Expert' speaks!

parabellum
25th May 2008, 04:08
There is a poster who now calls himself Angels60, (previously ssg and trickle_451) who has suggested that Brian Abraham is an idiot but who has some very interesting theories on helicopter flight. A preview of some of his previous posts may help you form a picture, try Tech Log forum, "Is Flex/derated thrust safe" and "Would you abort after V1" followed by the rotary one, 'Which Side" http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=327959

Some of you may want to join in!;)

Angels 60
25th May 2008, 04:56
Well here I am Para...I can see your hard at work making these threads so much more educational and fullfilling...he wants to you join in because they ran out of ammo, tapped...he's mad because his cronys have turned PRN into a social gathering of misfits.....please come, I could use some intelligent discourse...

Senior Pilot
25th May 2008, 06:19
A Helicopter 'Expert' speaks!

Not any more he doesn't. What an idiot :rolleyes:

Angels 60 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=249254)
Banned... Persona Non Grata

;)

25th May 2008, 06:25
Angels - don't bring your 'intelligent discourse' over here - I have read your posts and we have enough fishermen on this forum already:)

Whirlygig
25th May 2008, 09:07
A few gems :}

PIC in a helo can fly on either side, depending on the which way the rotor turns.
PIC in a plane doesn't have to be left seat, especialy as a flight instructor..

Look up where the PIC sits in a Robinson R44 vs a Eurocopter Astar. Get back to me and let me know if I am sitting on the wrong side.

Helcopters. The advancing blade on the main rotor creates more lift then the retreating blade in forward flight. The pilot sits on the side of the advancing blade to counteract the roll tendancy at higher speeds.

Classics!!! What a troll!!

Cheers

Whirls

Bravo73
25th May 2008, 09:32
My favourite:

...actual helo pilots help me out here.

Now, if that isn't a 'confession', I don't know what is... :}

helimutt
25th May 2008, 09:44
Originally Posted by Angels 60
PIC in a helo can fly on either side, depending on the which way the rotor turns.
PIC in a plane doesn't have to be left seat, especialy as a flight instructor..

Ok, so he's nearly right. PIC in a helo can fly on either side, depending on aircraft, flight manual etc if single pilot, but rotor direction???

PIC in a plane doesn't have to be left seat. Can't see anything wrong with that statement actually.

whoateallthepies
25th May 2008, 09:54
What a laugh!
Senior Pilot. It's a shame he's banned, he really was great at pseudo P of F. I'm sure he could teach us a lot more. I'd like to hear his explanation of Hooke's Joint Effect and the Conservation of Angular Momentum!
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

Bravo73
25th May 2008, 10:00
Don't worry, 'Pies. He'll be back! (said in my best Arnie voice...)

helimutt
25th May 2008, 10:02
pseudo P of F is my favourite subject! Used to teach it all the time. Just like I bet a lot of people teach gyroscopic precession???;)

Senior Pilot
25th May 2008, 10:50
What a laugh!
Senior Pilot. It's a shame he's banned

Not really: his previous two identities were banned by other Mods, and he's already come back for another try in the past couple of hours.

Funny, he isn't: look at the fish he manages to catch even when they're warned :hmm:

before landing check list
25th May 2008, 11:35
Angel, If you were in the right seat and you flew fast you would roll right. If you were in the left seat you would roll right. Makes no difference where you are. Some long-line dudes fly the B212 and S61 left seat so they can see the load. No big deal. Tell me, why is the MD530 flown solo from the left?

Brian Abraham
25th May 2008, 12:47
Brian Abraham is an idiot
parabellum - I get told that a lot actually, but was surprised he picked up on it so quickly.
look at the fish he manages to catch even when they're warned
Sorry SP I missed the warning, or am just too slow to recongnise a nod and a wink.

What Limits
25th May 2008, 15:36
I think the longline dudes sit LHS (certainly in the 205 / 212) so that they can reach the collective when they are hanging out to see the load.

I am no expert having just lost my longline and bucketing virginity.

Cyclic Hotline
25th May 2008, 15:58
Seems to be more experts here than ever!

In order for a single pilot to operate an approved single pilot helicopter from a seat other than the designated Pilot's station (check your Flight Manual): you will have to obtain an STC to permit that function. This of course, ensures such things such as the manual release, controls, etc, are within your control.

So in order to longline from your 206/205/212, etc; you will need one more minor item than covered here.

Dave_Jackson
25th May 2008, 16:11
Originally Posted by Angels 60
Helcopters. The advancing blade on the main rotor creates more lift then the retreating blade in forward flight. The pilot sits on the side of the advancing blade to counteract the roll tendancy at higher speeds.

It ain't so dumb if applied to a helicopter with a very rigid rotor.

There is an old US patent where the rotorhead is offset slightly to the side. In addition, Sikorsky's X2 Advancing Blade Concept is related to this.

Originally Posted by Senior Pilot
Not any more he doesn't. What an idiot :rolleyes:

Didn't the old sheriff have two 'non de plumes'? One for managing the forum and the other for personal comment.

Dave J

Brian Abraham
25th May 2008, 16:46
Heeees back. tankdriver45 Is that his shoe size or IQ?
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4136511&posted=1#post4136511

KrisRamJ
26th May 2008, 06:26
What a twit, fancy insulting all the experienced helo pilots on here with bogus physics.

On a related note, I remember reading somewhere (Wagtendonk I think) that the roll during retreating blade stall doesn't necessarily always go toward the retreating side. There's no definite reason it should as far as I can reason. Yes, there is disymmetry of lift due to advancing/retreating blades, but then gyroscopic precession takes that and turns it into a flap back.

I know gyroscopic precession isn't 'perfectly' 90 degrees so perhaps that is where the roll component is induced? I suspect there is more to it than that though. If Wagtendonk is correct then perhaps the shape of the helicopter's fuselage may have an effect on which direction it rolls?

jab
26th May 2008, 14:15
I found his posts quite entertaining. Seldom have I heard anyone display the depths of their ignorance with such total conviction. The only downside is that there are others who might believe what he says through their own inexperience. The reasoning behind some of his statements would have made the Monty Python crowd very proud of him. He certainly sounds like he believes them himself and thats scary!

ShyTorque
26th May 2008, 14:28
I don't actually believe he's for real. Surely, no-one's that stupid.

bondu
26th May 2008, 18:47
pies

After his pseudo P of F lessons, do you think I could get him to explain the offside rule to my wife? ;)

bondu :ok:

Impress to inflate
26th May 2008, 21:28
He sounds like the sort of GIMP who needs to put the books down and get out of his bedroom. I had a tw#t on my rotary course who sounded just like him, thought he knew it all.

How about we have a thread and work out what his next log in name will be ?

I'm guessing "Wikapidia" as he is the fountain of all knowledge.

Brian Abraham
28th May 2008, 05:47
The latest of his many aliases is cattleflyer located guess where? Oz.

SBoyer
6th Jun 2008, 20:28
As old Abe once said, " Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

bolkow
6th Jun 2008, 20:33
LOL, what gems.
I think he is the guy who probably also started the rumour that when your car pulls to the left its by design to stop you going into a head on with the car in the opposite lane when you nod off!

Dave_Jackson
7th Jun 2008, 03:08
Thinking outside the box.

High Speed Helicopter ~ US patent 4,720,059 (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4,720,059.PN.&OS=PN/4,720,059&RS=PN/4,720,059)

The 'Abstract' of the above patent says ".... a tiltable mast which is located a substantial distance off to the retreading blade side of the fuselage of the helicopter. This causes the fuselage to be located completely under the advancing blades."

Hoyt Stearns has two or more patents and has made at least one presentation before the American Helicopter Society.

The above concept may, or may not, be valid. However it does provoke technical thought; just as Lu Zukerman's posts used to provoke lively and interesting threads on this forum.

Mr. Stears can be contacted on another Rotary Xxxx Forum, if desired.

Dave J.