PDA

View Full Version : Operational Allowance in FI

Doobs
24th May 2008, 00:06
Just a quickie, but can anybody tell me if we are entitled to OA down here?
I dont think we are but some of the Army lads insist that it has just been introduced.
Any help would be welcome.

Doobs

bondo
24th May 2008, 00:21
Not sure, back in Tuesday can give PSF a call - can you wait?

cooheed
24th May 2008, 00:23
Don't be silly. Op allowance for Iraq, Afghan and Kosovo only :=

bondo
24th May 2008, 00:28
There's your answer then!:ok:

SirToppamHat
24th May 2008, 08:06
My understanding is that the FI is not an 'Operational Theatre', therefore doesn't qualify. Pretty sure it came up here a couple of months ago.

Not quite sure why it (or a version of it) shouldn't apply from the POV of absence from the UK, but still paying taxes etc (one of the main gripes). You don't suppose it has anything to do with the lack of positive publicity it would produce for this bankrupt Govt do you?

STH

Doobs
24th May 2008, 08:10
It has just been announced that we are entitled to a Council Tax rebate so maybe my reliable source has got confused with that and OA.
FI is technically still Operational but not to the extent of 'sand pit' tours.
I shall make further enquiries.

Is Kosovo still operational??

Doobs

Door Slider
24th May 2008, 09:11
The role of Op Allowance is to compensate the people getting shot at in Operational theatres, FI does not fall into that category. As for doing ones job and spending time away from home, you are entitled to LSA whislt serving in the FI, thats there to compesate for time away.

Doobs
24th May 2008, 09:18
You are right. Just got a definitive answer that we don't get OA.
Thanks to all that replied.

Doobs

vascodegama
24th May 2008, 09:34
The confusion probably arose because of changes in Concil Tax Relief entitlement. Up to 1 Apr it was payable only to those in receipt of OA. As of 1 Apr it is payable in a variety of locations including the FIs. There is a policy letter on the subject just follow the links on JPA.

FFP
25th May 2008, 00:20
The role of Op Allowance is to compensate the people getting shot at in Operational theatres, FI does not fall into that category. As for doing ones job and spending time away from home, you are entitled to LSA whislt serving in the FI, thats there to compesate for time away.

A general observation I have on the whole thing. Isn't "getting shot at" also "doing one's job" ? Why the need for OA at all ? Couldn't it be argued that the X factor is to compensate ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the OA, seeing as I'm about to get a load of it very soon........

conjurer
25th May 2008, 07:23
It's my opinion that the OA was introduced because it doesn't affect pensions, it is focussed on those immedialty on tour and not the whole of the forces (so a PR friendly high OA rate could be introduced) and can be dropped as an allowance when no longer expedient. If an appropriate rate had been added to the x-factor instead it would have cost a fortune and would likely prove difficult to remove when no longer justified due to its affect on pensions.

Biggus
25th May 2008, 10:00
Reference OA, it is my opinion, for what it is worth, that it was an attempt by the MOD/government to placate all the calls for troops not to have to pay tax when deployed overseas on operations - a policy many other nations already have.

I believe it was the classic case of the MOD/government doing the absolute minimum possible, and spending the least amount of money, and then talking about it, trumpeting the scheme, as much as possible.

Door Slider
25th May 2008, 10:49
Biggus,

Totally, agree. Mininum effort for maximum spin!!

However, since I have earned a decent whack of OA so far i'm not complaining as its far better than the nothing we used to get :ok:

philhird
25th May 2008, 17:58
As an aside, does anyone know how we go about claiming this council tax rebate? No-one seems to know much about it so far in the admin world...

Biggus
25th May 2008, 20:10
Well I believe it isn't a council tax rebate as such, that is just what the MOD happens to be calling another allowance they are giving to make it look like they/the government are caring - so don't go asking your local council about it, as they won't know anything.

No doubt it is a JPA issue?!

Doobs
25th May 2008, 22:46
If you have your own house, then you have to provide PSF with a Council Tax bill from your local County Council covering the months you were away. They then calculate your 25% discount and pay you with your following months pay.
If you are a singlie in the block then its all taken care of when you arrive back to unit.
Thats how I believe it works but check the JPA instructions or Defencenet.

Doobs

vascodegama
26th May 2008, 18:00
Not quite true-all you need is to make a certificate yourself that you are paying council tax and not getting a discount from your local authority alraedy. At the secret tanker base in Oxon the adj has made a local form for the boys and girls and uses this as the authority to in put to JPA.

FFP
27th May 2008, 02:13
Ref the OA and aircrew flying into said areas, has it been decided on the exact criteria ? What I mean is if you flying in over 50% of the time, do you get the whole det ?

Am sure the VC-10 boys are best placed to answer this one.....;)

NUFC1892
6th Jun 2008, 10:26
OA was cut for Kosovo (and the rest of the Balkans) on 1 Sep 07, not long after the RAF took over most of the support posts from the Army but I am sure that was coincidence.

MATZ
6th Jun 2008, 13:12
From the Defence Intranet:

Council Tax Relief to Service personnel is now extended to include new operational locations, with effect from 1 April 2008, and backdated to 1 February 2008. These are:

- Bahrain
- Bosnia
- British Forces South Atlantic Islands
- Diego Garcia
- Kosovo
- Kuwait
- Oman
- Qatar
- RN Ships in receipt of Deployment Welfare Package (DWP) (Overseas)
- UN Operations

• Council Tax Relief for Service personnel will be paid as a tax free lump sum on completion of the deployment, based on the number of days in theatre.

• Full details of eligibility and methods of claiming, which should be made on return from deployment, will be published in JSP 754 prior to 1 April 2008.

I have had mine paid for my last 'stan tour. It was a simple process for my clerk to complete, and was paid in April. Pay statement shows 'Council Tax Relief'.