PDA

View Full Version : 119 vs B3+ vs EC130 for HEMS

victor papa
23rd May 2008, 18:41
Can you please give your views regarding the 3 aircraft for HEMS? The Ec130 can not take a hoist but can do shorthaul for rescue if required. We operate hot and high as well as sea level with high wind conditions. We have investigated the light twin route as well. We need 2.5 to 3 hrs range minimum and temps can be as high as 46 degrees. Low downtime is important as the machines cover big areas and there will be no spare for now. The machines will be the only ones in a area so maintenance, reliability and spares availability is a huge issue as well as performance. It is critical that we are not power limited every mission which will affect reliability and work rate in the cockpit. Please no manufacturer bashing, just experience from thoe of you who flew these types.

TKS!!

rotorboy
23rd May 2008, 19:00
IMO B3 all the way. It is an excellent hot and high machine. You can get a hoist, and there are many EMS stc's and mods for this a/c

2.5 hrs is a long way on a tank of gas though. At high power settings you can easily see 200Liter per hr fuel consumption.

the 119.. I dont have any experience, but talking to drivers, <7000 and 20c its great. Hot and high performance goes rather fast. My impression is the charts support this.

what about a 109 Grand?

Good luck on finding a B3 or a 119
RB

funfinn2000
23rd May 2008, 23:36
Koala is what ya want,

4 hrs fuel easy.

stable , lots of power ,130 kt cruise, will sit nice at faster speed.

no unscheduled maintanance with ours

victor papa
24th May 2008, 06:26
Funfinn, are you sure that's the case with medkit, hoist and dual slings fitted?

AirWon
25th May 2008, 01:11
With a fully loaded Koala, i.e. nurse, para medic, all their kit, and enough margin for say, a 200lb patient, you'll be lucky to carry 2 hours of fuel in it. Having said that, that bird loves to fly fast. 46 degrees will knock 20-30 kts off your top end though. Terrible oil cooler design. You'll reach your engine oil temp limit before anything else at those temperatures. OAT showed 55 on the ramp one day!