PDA

View Full Version : No Wokka today, only a Merlin and Eurofighter!

Essexbird
23rd May 2008, 15:57
Have just had the pleasure of watching the Merlin go through its display routine along Southend seafront, followed by a deafening performance from the Eurofughter, ready for this weekends airshow. Great flying by both, and before anyone comments - yes, I did have my camera and did get some shots and even managed a couple of the odd XR2 and even a Capri....! (It is Essex after all!) Hope Sat and Sun displays are as good, although don't think the weather will be, here's hoping though.

Soz - not Sat and Sun, try Sun and Mon...!

Double Zero
23rd May 2008, 16:06
What altitudes were the Capri & XR2 doing their displays at ?

Essexbird
23rd May 2008, 16:15
Very good :ok:, although the way some of the wideboys drive around here, bumping up the curb because of their speed, they do actually become airborne a little too often and that aint the type of flying that impresses me !!

treadigraph
23rd May 2008, 20:19
Watch out for me in a DC-3 on Saturday, we Biggin "nostalgia and farewell DC-3" pax got bumped from Biggin to SEN thanks to the negative attitude of Bromley Council who come second only to EASA in their attitude to a fundamental contributor to military and civilian air transportation.

On the other hand, praise be to Air Atlantique and Sarfend...

QFIhawkman
23rd May 2008, 20:59
Also watch out for me in XX184, I'm doing a low level high speed pass at 1500hrs, followed by a low speed, gear down pass at 1503hrs.
Get that camera ready!

treadigraph
23rd May 2008, 21:15
I'll be gone by then QFIhawkman (unless AA are extraordinarily generous for the £75 I stumped up), but if you are displaying at Biggin in two weeks time I will most certainly give you a wave! Bromley Council notwithstanding...

Best to all,

Treadders

treadigraph
23rd May 2008, 21:21
Forecast isn't that bad is it? I mean, it's Sarfend not Kansas, Toto...

QFIhawkman
23rd May 2008, 21:26
Treaders,

I will indeed be at Biggin Hill. Wave by all means, and I'll try and pick you up amongst all the other people waving! :)

Of course I have a more complex display to do at BQH, but I'll do my best to wave a bit of white pig skin in the canopy. :ok:

VARIABLE_KNIFE
24th May 2008, 07:54
What type of Merlin was it? I am supposing that it was not the green variety as that would mean 28 or 78 sqns would have something to tell their bosses me thinks. :suspect:

amb_211085
24th May 2008, 09:39
Lets face it, a gray one would be best anyway...

I'm not sure what it is: I play with planes all day at work, so you'd have thought I'd get enough of them. But no, I get a bit of leave between courses and I can't wait to come home and check out Southend Airshow. Fingers crossed for good wx!

I'll be down there supporting the Black Cats if they are here this year. And to everyone taking part, I am looking forward to a good show.

ps, Essexbird: What happens if they glue wings to their cars, race them down the pier and attempt to fly Red Bull style?

airborne_artist
24th May 2008, 10:51
I play with planes all day at work

Are you a carpenter? Be careful - they have sharp bits, so not really a toy to play with.

TheWizard
24th May 2008, 11:21
Lets face it, a gray one would be best anyway...

What does a 'gray' one look like then? Or did you type an extra letter by mistake?
Seen plenty of grey ones :}

amb_211085
24th May 2008, 12:56
Yes, and yes!

Willard Whyte
24th May 2008, 13:31
What does a 'gray' one look like then? Or did you type an extra letter by mistake?
Seen plenty of grey ones

Either spelling is acceptable, in the real world!

Gainesy
24th May 2008, 15:50
Quite whyte White.:)

Foxy Loxy
24th May 2008, 22:15
Watch out for me in a DC-3 on Saturday, we Biggin "nostalgia and farewell DC-3" pax got bumped from Biggin to SEN thanks to the negative attitude of Bromley Council who come second only to EASA in their attitude to a fundamental contributor to military and civilian air transportation.

I clocked you from my flat! ;) Absolutely love the Dak, I was on the phone to my dad (ex-RAF) at the time,and trust me, he loved the sound!

I'll be down there supporting the Black Cats if they are here this year.
They are! Check the following for more info: http://www.southendairshow.com/

Foxy

Tiger_mate
24th May 2008, 22:54
The Red Arrows launched their 2008 season at Beaumaris / Wales today:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3231/2519600342_6acb27938d_o.jpg

When only 5 RAF displays are scheduled and 2 fail to turn up, it was a bit of a poor show. BBMF and the Sea Queen stayed at home. The Reds were good.

Hangar_9
25th May 2008, 17:17
The Reds flew at Southend today but the Typhoon stayed at MSE today due to low cloud-base :ok:

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 19:28
Soz, a little late to reply, but hope this solves the grey / green debate!

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/essexbirdphotos/IMG_2048_0349_edited-1.jpg

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 21:32
The camera I used was a Cannon EOS 400D. As for exposure, have to say I cheated a little, original photo was way too light, so I Photoshopped it! (Camera was a b'day prezzie and am still learning! should sign up for a course as I don't really know what I'm doing - just lots of luck at mo....!)

Whirlygig
25th May 2008, 21:39
Don't bite, Essexbird!

Cheers

Whirls

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 21:41
You're getting a bit tech on me here, hold on I need to look.......................... 1.0GB!

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 21:43
Hook, line and sinker - too bloody late, already did! thx for heads up though!

TEEEJ
25th May 2008, 21:45
Essexbird,

Ignore 1.4G. He isn't the slightest bit interested. Check his posting history and simply ignore.

Cheers

TJ

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 21:53
Appreciate yr advice Whirlygig and TEEEJ, will be more aware in future....! However am used to taking c**p from pr*ts, it's a survival skill you learn growing up in Essex!

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 21:55
Perhaps just an idea where you can stick that stick!

Whirlygig
25th May 2008, 21:58
Careful Essexbird, he might enjoy that sort of thing!

Cheers

Whirls

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 22:05
Whirls - he may think he might, but believe me, he definately would not :eek:

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 22:25
1.4G - perhaps you could give me some advise on how to take better pix, I hear you have some ace pix of low level flying tornado's....!

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 22:35
Not much, came down to cost. Canon were doing a better deal:)

Whirlygig
25th May 2008, 22:37
1.4G, you do seem to have a fascination with size. I'm sure I'm not the first woman to say to you that it ain't important!!! :}

Cheers

Whirls

Essexbird
25th May 2008, 22:44
The bigger the better - thats why I'm soooo in love with the wokka ;)

TEEEJ
26th May 2008, 11:15
Essexbird,

Didn't you think before posting? Did you not read his rules in FAQ or his Sticky? Did you not realise that anyone wanting to post an image of a military aircraft must first seek 1.4G's approval?

Those without approval will be ruthlessly hunted down. He will find you! Every thread is meticulously checked so that he can copy and paste a suitable diatribe in response. First though he has to wipe away the spit and froth from his screen after viewing said image.

I know that he particularly hates low-flying Tornado images, so I'll cut him some slack. Unfortunately it was taken with a camera! From 15th May.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/feee8be4.jpg

1.4, at least your screen is nice and clean again!

Cheers

TJ

Gainesy
26th May 2008, 12:24
Arrrrgghh, tis the white butty box from Hell!:uhoh::yuk:

S'land
26th May 2008, 14:05
Nah, 'tis the pilot's birthday and they bought 'im a cake :rolleyes:.

Essexbird
26th May 2008, 20:36
Well I won't need to ask for anybody's permission to post anything today, as due to crap wx, there was certainly no wokka, no eurofighter and not a lot else, not that I bothered going to have a look anyhow. Well done to the Blades however, who did overfly the house, not that I could really see them, only hear them. :D

Essexbird
26th May 2008, 20:48
1.4G - you sure you don't want any advice as to where to stick your stick, it would solve the problem you seem to have with it ruining your photos each time ;)

Essexbird
26th May 2008, 21:46
Hell if I know? Told you before, am only a novice! I really don't know :confused:

Al R
26th May 2008, 21:53
Essexbird,

Do what I do. Put the wretched little toad on your 'ignore' setting and then you won't have to read his tedious drivel. The beauty of this setting of course, he will try and come out with a smart half baked response and I won't be able to see it. Someone else made the point that a) thankfully, if he was here, then at least he wasn't buggering things up on ops and b) 1.4G referred to the metric weight of his brain.

Good shots by the way and keep 'em coming.

Eagle402
26th May 2008, 22:06
Al R,

You are a charlatan sir - I find you here posting to complete strangers when you promised me a series of Mach Loop pix of Tornado's at low level AND
full details of lens/aperture/filter/f-stop/multi-burst/fish-eye/strap/DPM bag
etc etc etc.

What have you to say sir ? I may have to ask for pistols for two and coffee for one....

Al R
26th May 2008, 22:17
Eagle,

:eek:

That set of demands would blow TEEJ's mind, let alone mine.

Essexbird
26th May 2008, 22:23
Al R - have actually got some nice Wokka shots from Duxford last week on my other computer (on laptop at mo). Perhaps tomorrow I'll post a few and give 1.4G something else to moan about.....!

1.4G - planning to start course sometime unless you wish to impart some of that extensive knowledge you obviously have. :8

Eagle402
26th May 2008, 22:44
1.4G,

You take your life in your hands by implying that Al R is a crafty butcher. I have met him and his mighty lenses and I can assure you that he makes Lord FlashHeart look like a blend of Julian Cleary/David Furnish and that his stentorian tones make Brian Blessed sound like Aled Jones before the accident.

How very dare you.

Eagle402

Al R
26th May 2008, 22:56
Essexbird,

I get the impression that 1.4G is the type to moan at the prospect of seeing pictures of some choppers.

Eagle,

Thanks.. er, I think. lol

Fair one mind, I am a bit of a studley I guess. :cool:

Dan D'air
26th May 2008, 23:25
I have met him and his mighty lenses

As have I and can safely state that the only thing wrong with Al R is that he lives too far away to get down for a pint often enough.

1.4G................Are you Samuraitw@t in a poor disguise??

Whirlygig
26th May 2008, 23:25
is the type to moan at the prospect of seeing pictures of some choppers.
I'm not!!! :ok:

1.4G is on so many people's ignore lists, it's untrue!

Cheers

Whirls

Al R
26th May 2008, 23:33
Dan,

A pint of your finest orange cordial barman.. I don't drink, remember?! :eek:

Whirls,

I wonder just how many people actually read what he posts? I have this splendid idea that he logs on and transmits blind to all of 3 people.

Essexbird
27th May 2008, 09:51
As promised...................

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/essexbirdphotos/DuxfordAirshow08_0164_edited-1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/essexbirdphotos/DuxfordAirshow08_0204_edited-1-1.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll218/essexbirdphotos/DuxfordAirshow08_0214_edited-2.jpg

Pontius Navigator
28th May 2008, 07:15
TEEJ, nice shot. Pleased to see your effort are rewarded both from the Astra Dome and in the EFA Magazine.

TEEEJ
28th May 2008, 10:05
Thanks P_N.

Cheers

TJ

Essexbird
28th May 2008, 10:19
No Merlin or Eurofighter today, but I did get a Wokka skirting over my house and then heading over towards what looked like a run up the East Coast ? A circle or two overhead would be appreciated next time lads...!! :ok:

airborne_artist
4th Jun 2008, 10:17
QFIHawkman wrote:

"Also watch out for me in XX184, I'm doing a low level high speed pass at 1500hrs, followed by a low speed, gear down pass at 1503hrs.
Get that camera ready!"

Did you read the pilot of XX184's briefing notes while you were searching his navbag at the gate, QFIH?

Dan D'air
4th Jun 2008, 10:25
I saw a wokka over Normandy this morning, although to be fair I do live near Guildford.........Oops, wrong thread:ugh: