PDA

View Full Version : The strange case of Lightning Foxtrot 94

Algy
22nd May 2008, 08:01
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere before - it's a new one on me anyway.

I'm guessing that there are people out there who can shed light on this story (http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/yorkslincs/series1/alien-abduction.shtml)which has just turned up on the BBC. Be sure to (speed)-read to the end of the comments before leaping in. There is also this rather flaky item (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0ZBAjREOM)on Youtube.

I'm just vaguely curious.

TEEEJ
22nd May 2008, 10:04
Already discussed here.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211415

Cheers

TJ

Double Zero
22nd May 2008, 15:32
While I am sort of open-minded about UFO's; myself & family having seen one for real with 10 X 50's bino's, it behaved like no helo' or later rocket / SR71 I've ever heard of !

Plus the subsequent definitely suspect cover story - PM me if interested - this Lightning seems a pretty clear tragic accident; the canopy slammed shut after the crash.

Wasn't there a similar story of a USAF pilot Captain Mantell supposedly 'beamed up' from his Starfighter ?

I do go with certain personal theories, such as 'why did 'Foo Fighters' appear just when we released atomic weapons ?- historians from the future for all we know - , but I don't go for ideas of abducting pilots - It would seem obvious that any technology able to create interstallar ( or time travel ) craft wouldn't be too intrigued by early Mach 2 fighters unless for a museum !

Sympathies to all the families, enough to go through without the B.S.

D.Z.

TEEEJ
22nd May 2008, 15:36
Captain Mantell was flying a Mustang.

TJ

AR1
22nd May 2008, 15:43
My Daughter saw Foo Fighters in Manchester around 2005.

Coincidence that the pilots name is almost William Shatner??

Rigger1
22nd May 2008, 17:00
Maybe they could make a film about it with Tom Cruise as the american exchange pilot!

davejb
22nd May 2008, 17:44
I've always been fascinated by three aspects of UFOs:

1) They appear to ignore relativity speed and mass limits - unless you come up with a way to avoid passing through space. I love the idea of warping via Black Holes - can't help feel the gravitional tide stretching the crew and ship out like spaghetti ought to be a bit of a drawback though....

2) So many of them crash land when they get here -what sort of advanced civilisation can build a dinky little spaceship to cross light years of space, but has yet to master the concept 'landing gear'?

3) Why the little guys who crash their ships promptly set up the equivalent of a Fiat Punto production line in Nevada for the US, rather than doing a quick repair job and RTB/Conquering the planet/becoming zillionaires by drip feeding stunning new shiny gizzits via web shops.
(You might also wonder how, if the situation were reversed, the average aircrew would make out trying to build, say, a TriStar from memory).

Dave

cazatou
22nd May 2008, 18:59
I was, apparently, reported as an UFO to Newcastle Airport on the evening of April 28 (NOT 1st) 1966 whilst on a night navigation sortie in Jet Promise Mk 4 XR 666 from 6 FTS at RAF Acklington.

I had to provide a report as to the exact details of the flight; what I had seen that was unusual (nothing) and any unusual occurrences during the flight (nil).

Never heard anything else about it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd May 2008, 19:23
but I don't go for ideas of abducting pilots Me neither. I think they'd go for the navs.

Tightflester
22nd May 2008, 21:30
I'm not sure as to the validity of this story, but it caught my eye.
It involves an RAF Pilot and a UFO:

A visiting UFO abducts 3 specimens to take back to their home planet:
A Chinese Farmer, an Eskimo and an RAF Pilot.
The alien chief scientist started the experimentation on the subjects as soon as they were aboard the UFO.
To ascertain the intelligence of the subjects they gave each of them 2 iron balls and separated the 3 men into empty cells.
A week passed on the return journey to the planet Omicron Persei Eight.
The Alien leader asked his scientist on the progress of the 3 abductees.
The Farmer was first. He made a small hole in the floor at one end of the cell and played golf with the iron balls using a fork. He got a hole in one twice in a row from the opposite corner of the cell. The Alien leader was impressed.
Next was the Eskimo. He trained himself to juggle with the iron balls with one hand, he managed to perfom the task at an amazing speed . This too impressed the Alien leader.
The RAF Pilot was next up. He was sat in the cell fast asleep, the Leader looked quizzically at his scientist for an explanation…..
"He broke one and lost the other one"

Well it seemed just as plausible as most of the other stories.

Double Zero
23rd May 2008, 00:37
Yes, I did notice the pilot in question was named very closely to William Shatner - tried to avoid mentioning it as I'm sure his family have had enough of that, & Mr. Shatner ( James T. Kirk to most of us ) is well known for his self-denigrating sense of humour & probably I'd guess he wouldn't wish to upset any family.

If any further talk of UFO's is proposed, let's move it to ' Jet Blast ' - that's not derogitary in any way, well worth discsussing, but not here.

Interesting I'd read ( can quote the title of the book by a USAF Colonel ) which I'm sure relates Captain Mantell was in an F-104; shows how reliable printed matter can be !

You'll never believe unless you've seen one , snag is there's such a bogus industry around the subject now , and an unspeaken rule of silence by professional civil or military pilots ( try the Belgian F-16 guys & Russians for a refreshing change) it's remarkably difficult to tell the wheat from the chaff .

I always carry at least a disposable camera with me, mainly to record idiot drivers who may or may not have collided with me or anything - a practice I strongly suggest .

Also as I say, as a photographer I'd feel pretty damn stupid if I
ever had a flying saucer land in front of me, missing the photo & marketing possibity of the century!

Good flying All,

DZ