PDA

View Full Version : would my JAA license unfreeze automatically?

ludovico
21st May 2008, 18:32
Hello to all!
I have a case here for you, hope you can help me. Supposed that I have, let's say, 3000 hrs total time from which 2500 are in an A320, and I have a non JAA license. Now I get my frozen JAA-ATPL by passing the 14 exams, taking the ground and flight hours required and passing the check rides (I think you know already what's my point). So, as i have already more than 1500 hrs with a foreign ATPL, would it unfreeze automatically? or will the JAA want me to make those 1500 with my JAA-ATPL license? (hope not)
Thank's in advance for your responses,
ludovico

5 RINGS
21st May 2008, 20:46
If you sit your exams in the UK, I would say "Yes, probably, but ask the CAA first."

If you sit them elsewhere in the EU, let's say France, I would say "Dream on, some Authorities seem to constantly disregard what's written in the JAR-FCL."

Any one to provide some practicle feedback???

IRISHPILOT
21st May 2008, 23:03
A good course of action would be to check where you can do the writtens in English (long list of countries) and at the same time, their CAA should allow you to go for the full ATPL. Make sure you have a letter confirming this!

There is only a CPL (for which you either need the CPL and IR theory or the ATPL theory) or the ATPL (ATPL theory needed). The checkride is the same and done in the sim only in your case. With your hours, you will go straight for the ATPL, so no unfreezing. Make sure your rating will say "Command rating", as this is handled differently by some CAAs.

5R, if going for the French ATPL, thought this is not possible in English (as far as I know), they will go by the JARs. If he goes for a UK JAR licence, there will be need to add a UK, non-JAR RT licence ;)

BigGrecian
22nd May 2008, 13:39
You'll need to have an observed LPC with a CAA examiner as well.

potkettleblack
22nd May 2008, 19:28
Google LASORS. it can be downloaded off the CAA website. It has your answer under Section G. Its a must read for anything to do with the CAA and JAA licences.

Had a friend converting from ICAO to JAA who had over 10k hours and the story can change depending on the day of the month and who you speak to so best to get it in writing and that way you have a leg to stand on when they challenge you at a later date.

ludovico
24th May 2008, 23:53
Thanks for your responses gentlemen.