PDA

View Full Version : PPL- Half UK, Half US

Nav420
21st May 2008, 09:29
Hi guys, ive recently started my PPL and ive got 8hours under me.
The cost is very high as you would expect in the U.K, the reason i am doing the ppl in england is because i want to gain the basic fundamentals and skills here because the airspace is busy and will make me a better pilot, as i will be flying in the U.K most of the time.
I have a enquiry- say after ive built around 25 hours on my ppl, i would have by then be quite advanced and have a high understanding of flying an aeroplane and have the basics up to scratch. After my 25 hours would it be possible for me to go over to Ormond Beach and complete the remainder of the ppl on a crash course of 10-15 days? if guys can complete the whole ppl in a month surely half of it will take 2 weeks?
Would this be a good idea for me? It would save me a lot of money and i could use that saved money for hour building. Because i would like to start my ATPL's straight after with Bristol.

Please add your suggestions and advice.

Thanks Guys

geordiejet
21st May 2008, 10:36
Hi.

It is quite possible to split. I've met people who have split training between two places, and it worked ok for them. I think(!), your new school may ask to see the training records from your old school.

Also, flying anywhere in Florida is way busier than you even dream of here in the UK, and is great experience.

Most flying schools will offer a 'PPL completion' course, or the like. But email them for a quote regarding times and prices, as it would vary on your hours.

Please look at the current Ormond Beach post as there could be some useful information in there for you to see. And please, do your research regarding any FTO, especially the ones abroad.

Good luck with the training!:ok:

AlphaMale
21st May 2008, 10:40
You should be fine with doing the above. A few of the US schools advertise that fact they'll get you through the rest of your PPL if your having trouble finding time/weather to fly in the UK.

if guys can complete the whole ppl in a month surely half of it will take 2 weeks?

Be aware of threads about people not completing their PPL in 4 weeks ay the US schools. Their 21 day PPL course more often than not takes longer than 21 days.

I'm not sure how long 20/25 hours would take with OBA, but I think 2 weeks should give enough time to get it completed?

You'll need to get used to a new school / management / AC's / FI's.

99jolegg
21st May 2008, 10:45
Sounds like a sound plan - UK flying is very much different to flying in and around Florida. I find flying around London far more difficult and challenging than flying in Florida, so it's wise to understand local procedures first.

I did things slightly differently; I completed as many groundschool exams in the UK at my local FTO as possible so I could concentrate on flying in the USA. It definitely helps. Some of the guys who were out there at the same time couldn't sit their practice skills test because they hadn't completed the written exams and therefore never got around to taking their skills test.

Lastly, don't forget to factor in the cost of the VISA, flights and living expenses.

You mention OBA...I believe they still do their PPL completion package as geordiejet says.

IRISHPILOT
21st May 2008, 10:46
There are plenty schools around in Fla. Make sure you do some research before committing to one of them. - You will find flying in Fla challenging due to weather and crowded skies (depending on where you go).

Most of all, do not make the mistake of getting a JAA PPL, as you will loose it upon gaining the CPL and be spending more than necessary.

cheers IP

preduk
21st May 2008, 11:16
Will it really be that much cheaper if your only doing half of your PPL there? Does your flying school not provide shares or monthly plans to reduce the cost of the aircraft?

Nav420
21st May 2008, 11:31
Hi yes i get to fly at their discounted rate which is 140pounds an hour in a c152. But the cost of accomodation is included in the US and the ticket will not be a problem either as i work for an airline and only have to pay the tax for the ticket so i can get that very cheap.

potkettleblack
21st May 2008, 11:51
Most of all, do not make the mistake of getting a JAA PPL, as you will loose it upon gaining the CPL and be spending more than necessary.

To clarify I think what you mean is all you need is an ICAO PPL before starting your ATPL theory and then the ME/CPL/IR which is of course true. Plus your radio licence which you can do when you are back in the UK if you intend to do the CPL/IR flying or work in the UK. If not then don't bother with that either. An FAA PPL is all you need to get you going which should save you some bucks.

Anyway its all in LASORS and can be downloaded for free from the CAA website and is a must read when starting out to see what you are in for. Particularly the bits about time limits so that you don't lose credits or ratings along the way whilst robbing peter to pay paul.

Keygrip
21st May 2008, 11:52
Federal regulations require a flight instructor need to personally see you complete x, y and z manoeuvres before signing off your student pilot certificate (student medical) for solo flight in Federal airspace.

You will likely find yourself completing numerous additional (and repetetive) excercises.

UAV689
21st May 2008, 11:53
i did a simliar thing, after completing a university air squadron course, and RAF fly schorlarship in UK I finished up the PPL in states.

I think you should go and complete the whole course in US, when you come back with a shiny PPL you will need to be checked out by the club you fly from anyway and so will still need some hours upon return, get the whole PPL for cheap in states, with good continuity then upon return to UK you will hopefully have spare mental capacity to cope with different airspace/radio etc as you know how to handle the a/c by having a PPL.

Nav420
22nd May 2008, 09:11
Hmm, thanks for your input guys, i cant really go over to the US and complete the whole of my PPL because i wont be able to get such long leave from work. I could go over for 10-14 days thats why i was thinking about doing half here and half their but after everyones opinions it seems like i will be repeating a lot of stuff once over their with the UK hours i would have built. Im still in two minds and am totally stuck hate the feeling! Il have to go with my gut instict! at the moment i have no clue what that is, lol. I guess i will make an assertive decision as piloting is a very serious career with many lives on my shoulders once im an airline pilot so instead of just "gaining" my licences i want to be a very good reliable pilot. However if i did half here and half in the U.S it would also mean that im gaining experience in two totally different airspaces in terms of weather, radio etc.

HMMMM.....

nobbyy
30th May 2008, 14:44
I did excatly what you hope to do at Ormond Beach - although I had somewhere north of 45 hours in the UK (but strung out over 2+ years!). I had a completion quote for 10 days - the reality it took more like 25! This was due to weather, a/c availability and a closed runway. Make sure you get advice about the best time to go - I would suggest winter is a good idea. Some of the instructors at OBA are superb, especially the few with UK experience. Overall, it can be a very frustrating experience, but you will get the PPL if you stick at it. If you do go down this route, be careful with any quotes - if you change anything (like having to come home and return later, or you decide to stay in a hotel rather than the packaged accomodation) you may well get stiffed for extra charges (they will put you on a hourly rate as opposed to a package). Also don't forget the pain and suffering you have to go through to get the US Visa...:ugh:

Having said all that, the flying in FL is excellent and the experience is well worth it.:ok:

SparksFlyHigh
30th May 2008, 16:21
I am thinking of doing the same thing.

I have 17 hours now but due to instructors leaving, prices going up, weather being ****, aircraft going tech im very tempted to just go to the states and finish it.

Even if it ended up costing me the same ammount im already fed up with trying to do a ppl here. I can fly to the states for free and i have a friend that lives very close to North Perry airport in Florida so accommadation is essentially free too.

Can anyone suggest how much i should be looking at to do this?

Got 17 hours, went solo at 12 hours and plan to do all ground school before i leave.

IRISHPILOT
31st May 2008, 21:57
SFH, you are probably looking at the FAA PPL, as you are going to go professional after. You'll need a groundschool signoff from a CFI, but that's a matter of a couple of days study over there.

You are in the lucky position not to have to pay for transport nor accommodation, so plan more than minimum days for completion.

Sorry, to be more specific, you'll need the opinion of a CFI. cheers IP