PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific.

jabbejokker
20th May 2008, 14:50
Hello

Im currently flying an ERJ. I live in the states. I'm looking at Cathay Pacific and the SO position. I'm 24 and married. My wife does not want to move. I wonder if the SO-CX schedules are commutable i.e. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Im interested in any information about life at cathay as a commuter. Allso what chances do i have with my credentials?

JAA-ATPL
FAA-CPL, CFI, CFII, MEI
Bachelor in Aeronautical sciences (under way).
I have about 500hours SIC and 1500 total.

Thank you.

varigflier
20th May 2008, 17:22
Check out the Fragant Harbor wannabes. You can find alot of info about Cathay there.
Good luck!!!

RL

Glorified Donkey
20th May 2008, 17:56
Second officers are all based out of Hong Kong. If your wife doesnt want to move your best bet is to wait till you have enough time to go Direct Entry F/O. Then you can base in the U.S. As for commuting I think you'd burn yourself out pretty quick

GlueBall
20th May 2008, 18:21
Are you living in dreamland? "Two weeks on, two weeks off" commuting across the pacific? Don't even think about it. Even if you live in LA, it's 14 hrs LAX-HKG, 9 time zones, and you'll lose one day crossing the date line, you'll be a flying zombie. :=

AiRBuS_380
20th May 2008, 18:42
SO are relocated, based in Hongkong. As for your 2weeks scehdule. I have never heard of such joyful benefits yet for all expat pilots i supposed.

I would suggest you to relocate as Hong Kong will be a wonderful place to stay in my view. Rentals are high depending on location. But it might be a good way for you to start off your career towards major carriers...

good luck and happy flying!

cheers

thepotato232
20th May 2008, 23:56
Cathay seems to actively discourage commuting. A large portion of their hiring process hinges on their belief that the applicant can relocate to Hong Kong as smoothly as possible. The unofficial policy seems to be "happy wife, happy life", if the FH guys are to be believed. Their management also seems to act in a unilateral, draconian manner whenever someone doesn't toe the company line. Suffice it to say that if you have some driving need to go SO, you'll be moving to Hong Kong. As a single man, if need be.

With jet time on the resume, you're well on the way to meeting the DEFO requirements. Which regional are you working for? If you're one of the hundreds of pilots who are looking at imminent furloughs, then by all means pursue the SO job while doing everything imaginable to convince the wife to relocate. If you've got a more secure position, then hang out until you can go DEFO and be based in the States.

uspilot
21st May 2008, 00:16
Hey buddy
Just some info for you. First of all most of SO have around 5000 hours, and 2000 to 3000 of Jet time. I know few were Airbus Captain and are now SO at CX. Now I am not saying they will not call you, but it might take some time. As far as Commute, At CX unlike U.S. they bid for life style i.e you can bid for what's called super compact roster, you will do 2 ULH back to back than off for 10 to 12 days, the problem is they might send you for sim training in middle of that 10 days and that will make commute hard. is it do able sure but as someone said it will be the mother of all commutes and will be costly. If you need more info let me know and good luck.

DakotaFanning
21st May 2008, 01:52
uspilot-what are competitive mins for a direct entry f.o? Curious. And where are they based in the US?
:8

uspilot
21st May 2008, 02:02
For DEFO you need to have above 5000. I had about 7100 TT and about 5000 of JET and 2000 JET PIC Instructor/ Check Airman. In my group we all have over 5000, few had over 8000. As far as bases they are

KJFK
KORD
KATL
KLAX
KDFW
KSFO
As new hire you will be hired as Unified FO, you will fly both Pax and Cargo if you are on B744, first year pay is 78266 base pay +15.5 for retirment+ about 600 a month in flight hour pay. Most new hire will go to KLAX or KJFK as I am not sure if KORD or KATL or KDFW is open to new hire now I could be wrong if so someone will correct me please. Next new base is KMIA.

jabbejokker
21st May 2008, 12:07
Thank you all. I guess i'll have to leave that thought alone for a while.

uspilot
21st May 2008, 20:18
Hey Buddy
I am not saying dont apply, all I am saying is it will take longer than some might think to get a call. When I first apply I had only 1500 tt also. what is great about CX is they will keep a record on you and every time you update your information they add it to your file, On my interview first thing they said was they were happy that I had update my information every 6 month for the past 3 years. I was shock as they had every email and all the dates of update. So please do apply and keep updating your information.

Glorified Donkey
21st May 2008, 20:46
5000 hours for an SO doesnt seem right. I had a friend get on DEFO with 5300 (4000+) jet time.

Colleagues of mine have been offered SO positions with 2000-3000 hours, all turbine time with at least 500 turbine pic